Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

First aid for bumps

Whilst volunteering at a setting last week, I was told by a senior member of staff that the setting approach to first aid for bumps has just changed due to professional first aid advice that they should not under any circumstances be applying a cold compress of any sort to a bump, as it was better just to see what happened with it. I've spent some time trying to find anything on the internet that backs this up and can't find anything. If anyone knows anything about this I'd really be glad to know where I can find out more.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your help everyone. I'm hoping to get a reference from the setting one day, so don't really want to say something that appears to be questionning their policies, they might not appreciate it. But if I was out of date on my first aid practice, then I'd want to put that right...In the mean time, when working in my own setting and with my own children, I'll keep on going with the cold compress.

How very strange. I know from my own experiences with bumps that a cold compress straight away really takes the sting out. If I were to leave it a bit to see what happened I would suspect the bruise would be worse. How odd

been doing a bit of research on this one... as to reasons not to apply a cold compress (or ice pack) and there is lots of conflicting advice...

Seems that there is a valid reason not to use compress or ice blocks. but depends on the severity of the bump... if there is any chance of a fracture then adding pressure which would happen when holding a compress on the spot would cause a worsening of these head injuries.

so how would you know it was a bump or a fracture... is it better to be safe and not apply pressure to the area..

Most say ok for a bump or a bruise but be very aware that if there is any chance of a fracture pushing onto the skull is to be avoided..

any other bumps Ice and cold compress is the recommended treatment.....

Edited by Inge

was told something about can cause brain damage????? Sounds odd, but hey ho

and that is the very reason ... in case there is a skull fracture and putting pressure on it could cause issues..

i can't find any relevant info on this ...who was your training done by?

Well ironically it was a local authority approved paed first aid course...just as we read now that the courses don't need to be LA approved!Can't actually remember the provider without looking at certificate, but he was a paramedic.

I remember being told not to use an ice pack on a head bump as it may mask the true extent of the bump. The impression I got was that a cold compress was preferable as it still allowed the bump to come out but reduced the pain, whereas the ice pack might be too good at stopping at the bump coming out and therefore indicate the injury was not as severe as it really was. My father-in-law (ex GP) always tells me that a bump is better than no bump too, for some reason.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)