Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

2 year old assessment form

Despite my best efforts at searching I cannot find an example of a 2 yr check on the forum. We have a form which we were advised to use by Early Years but an Ofsted Inspector today has told me it is inadequate - I would really appreciate someone sharing what they use so I can make sure the next one we use is correct.

This is what we use, we had a cluster meeting about them today as well and the majority of the settings in this area are using them as well, they work really well for us and seem easy enough for the parents to understand too. The only thing that was said today was to maybe write "months" somewhere near the numbered bits so it was clear to parents and health visitors etc that that is what the numbered bits are rather than a score??!!??!!

2yr check form.doc

im not aware that there is any obligation to put development 'ages' on the check. I think i would be uncomfortable doing this when these children have only just started with us. Hopeytg i think i would be complaining to your EY advisor if this is their form that the inspector doesn't like.....they need to sort it out before any other settings get told off! If it does all the things that it needs to then there should be no issue

im not aware that there is any obligation to put development 'ages' on the check. I think i would be uncomfortable doing this when these children have only just started with us. Hopeytg i think i would be complaining to your EY advisor if this is their form that the inspector doesn't like.....they need to sort it out before any other settings get told off! If it does all the things that it needs to then there should be no issue

no at the meeting today the EYA said you don't HAVE to have the ages on there but when bringing up any worries with parents you need to be able to explain where the issue lies etc which is sometimes easier if you can show that an age band hasn't been "completed"? Personally I think that whatever works for the setting and the parents should satisfy ofsted!

We don't do our checks straight away we always give the children at least half a term to a term to settle in etc - more if needed and we have found that we know them well enough by then because the key person spends a lot of time observing and interacting with them but everyone has their own ways of doing things and like I said if it is working then why should it be changed ;)

Thank you so much folks - I knew you'd have the answer - I will definitely be speaking to Early Years before someone else falls victim - although the inspector who came 8 months ago didn't have a problem with it - I think that is what I find the most frustrating.

Hi hopeytg

DO you have any idea why the OFSTED inspector found the form inadequate and was it the actual format itself they weren't happy with?

In terms of the statutory requirement, you need to provide a short written summary of the three prime areas and also indicate strengths and areas where progress is less than expected. Although there is no statutory requirement to put the age bands on, but as mrsbat said, its quite tricky to tell parents that a child's development is not quite where you might expect, if there are no age bands on there, so you would need to be very clear about how you have informed parents of this in the written summary, if you haven't recorded any age bands. So, is it very clear on your summary that a child is working at an age band below? This is why the check should be discussed with parents, so when they get the final written summary, there aren't any surprises for them.

• Like 1

Hi

We use our own proforma directly with our parents/carers when completing reviews. This was made up with Parent & Carer input. We use visuals for the child to interpret how they feel and use picture visuals for all Parents/Carers in case they find reading difficult. Parents always help us out when banding children. The team get a lot our of regular reviews, in turn this directly benefits the children.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)