Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Being two!

skippy

Lots of sensory play, small world activities and opportunities for both large and fine physical skills.

I think PSED is vital for a sense of well being and to build self esteem, as well as an enriched language and communication environment. We are a Pre-school but have lots of 2 year olds. This of course is not just for our two year olds. :)

For two's definitely the messier the better! Lots of gloop, cloud dough and finger painting.

Bottles with lids that they can open. Put little treasures inside such as a bead necklace.

Ping pong size ball to roll down tubes, jewellery boxes and hinged case such as glasses cases and camera case to practice zips.

Thomas, Bob and Peppa anything!

Glitter in small pots to shake

Pasta, rice and flour to mix and pour, and lots and lots of clear containers.

This is just a quick list of daily essentials

Whatever you do, do it on the floor! Currently attending a course by Helen Moylett and Nancy Stewart on 2 year olds development, and it'll aid their physical development if they can do it on the floor as opposed to chairs and tables.

If you can't move your tables, set your activities up under them!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i have been asked to attend the "being two" training thats being held in our area in June and September, has anyone else attended? I have been on the Pen Green website for more information on the work i will need to produce but there is not any on there other than the printed pages I have been given, (sorry if I have High jacked the thread!)

There are some lovely booklets from Community Playthings that you can order (free) or download, one of which is 'A good place to be two'. There's another popular one called the irresistible classroom, aimed at R/yr1. Of course all the photos have the lovely CP things in them, but there are loads of ideas too, for those who are providing on a tight budget.

Link

http://www.communityplaythings.co.uk/learning-library/training-resources

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

I have a unique challenge ahead supporting a two's room in a country where water play, messy play and sitting directly on the floor is not acceptable! ANY suggestions for sensory play experiences for two's that would work here are welcome e.g. Love the ideas above from Diane of clear containers with bits inside to shake and containers with lids to sort. We do have access to Pintrest, but tried and tested is always better!

I have a unique challenge ahead supporting a two's room in a country where water play, messy play and sitting directly on the floor is not acceptable! ANY suggestions for sensory play experiences for two's that would work here are welcome e.g. Love the ideas above from Diane of clear containers with bits inside to shake and containers with lids to sort. We do have access to Pintrest, but tried and tested is always better!

when you say messy play can you qualtify? are you talking about food items/things that stick to them or what???? Do you follow EYFS priciples or do you have another curriculum?

does directly on the floor include rugs?

water play can be substituted for other items as long as they flow. It's often really about filling/emptying can you use sand??

How about using readymix paint in ziplock bags, so they can squish and move it about without getting any on them. The paint described in another thread, scola I think it was, might be good for that

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, yes I got hold of zip lock bags last week and am ready to give this a go. We also made some shakers and bottles filled with glittery paper and sequins for each classroom. We do use EYFS for observation and assessment. We also use IPC for the Early Years as a curriculum which is lovely curriculum but it is the two year olds that keep us thinking! Because they need to be busy without some of the things we take for granted e.g. water play and mud! We have requested play dough ingredients and will make a variety of types / colours. Will use some sticky sand recipes for indoors. There is a big sand pit outdoors which is fine. We can let children sit on the carpet in the book corner, but not on any other floor area so have requested a couple more carpets! Again thank you for your thoughts!

• 8 months later...

Thank you. Do you come together for any circle times (obviously short ones!) to do something together? Also how do you do snack?

I've put up pictures for the children to look at themselves at play but they keep pulling them off?? any help with any further ideas gratefully received ?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)