Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Manager of pack away looking for ideas please

Hi all.

This is my first post on here but I have been reading the forum threads and found it very helpful. :rolleyes:

I have recently taken on the role of managing a pack away nursery setting based in a hall. We have a garden but have very limited resources and the owners don't seem keen to 'invest'. I am lucky enough to have a fabulous team of staff who are very keen to make things work and I have a huge challenge ahead of me in all areas. One thing I am really interested to know is how other nursery managers have managed to create a stimulating outdoor area in this kind of setting and what do you provide for the children that is easy to pack away? I have heard about creating grab bags of resources and if anyone has made these I would love to know what you chose to put in them?

Many thanks in advance. :1b

Hi Tallulah and welcome.

We are in a packaway setting too. The most useful thing I can suggest is to try to invest in as much durable storage equipment you can with wheels.

We have trolleys for almost everything. Ikea do some great three tiered metal type units, we have these for our discovery and mark making tools. They are £50.00 each so not cheap but in our opinion worth every penny.

Can be used indoors or out. We have a second hand trolley to store our community blocks, so look our for those online.

Alongside the tubs for grab and go we have made our own fabric bags. We have put maths objects in one, letters and sounds in another, pieces of fabric in another.

We attach wooden shapes to our metal gate for the children to weave. Small tubs for gardening, pieces of plastic guttering with some stands using recycled plastic bottles, pots etc for water play are great fun too.

Good luck with your new role. :)

we have wheeled sand and water tables, light weight net bags for balls, beanbags, hoops ect ( think they are the sort football trainers use to keep stuff in!) trolleys for small world, and exploring resources, large tubs with handles for balance beam and other construction. We are lucky that in one respect we have plenty of shed room at the moment so space to wheel stuff in and out is fine. We used to use special bike hangers in our shed that are attatched to the beams on the room......i am short so no head banging for me but other members of staff did! good luck with your new post....i am trying to source a ton of old pots and pans for our outside area, love the idea of the mud kitchen...roll on car boot season! :)

Edited by twinthinguk

I put out an appeal for stuff for our mud kitchen and was inundated.......even got given a belfast sink, in fabulous condition! We have pots, pans, tins, baking trays, colanders...........you name it, we got given it! We store everything in wooden apple ctares, so they stack away at the end of the day. I had one parent offer to make a solid stand for the belfast sink and we have an old lunch box trolley for the children to arrange things on as well

Yes, exactly the same as Narnia, we were given pots, pans, a Belfast sink, an old cooker etc. etc.

Scour car boot sales, charity shops, businesses that are closing.,,if you ask and tell people what it's for, they are usually happy to oblige. We were given lots of lovely resources from our local hairdressers!

Go on the scrounge and good luck!

Many thanks for your ideas! :)

So far I have started to add some laminated signs in the garden and I am about to chop back some over grown trees to create a 'den' type area. I am getting some tyres to use as planters and I am definitely going to create a mud kitchen. The longer I spend at my setting the more ideas I am coming up with. I am planning a weaving activity and to be honest still finding things in the cupboards!

It is a challenge but I think it will be very satisfying. I only put up some laminated numbers this morning and during our morning play I saw two boys on separate occasions going up to the numbers and looking at them all so I am already feeling like it was worth while!

I know and I am one of the worst :))

On a much sadder note I had my last twilight in Kent on Wed as from end of March it will be all change

Who knows what!

That made me laugh - in EY we become shameless scroungers and scavengers :rolleyes:

I should say - I verbally mugged two OAPs in Sainsbury's yesterday for their active kids vouchers after they told the checkout lady they weren't collecting them!

• Like 2

I should say - I verbally mugged two OAPs in Sainsbury's yesterday for their active kids vouchers after they told the checkout lady they weren't collecting them!

"Oh, oh. oh I'll have them, hmm, sorry I mean please may I have them" - something like that?! :1b

• Like 1

"Oh, oh. oh I'll have them, hmm, sorry I mean please may I have them" - something like that?! :1b

Almost

Checkout lady to OAPs "Are you collecting Active Kids Vouchers"

OAPs "No"

Aggressive voice from some woman loading shopping on the conveyor belt (I wonder who that could have been :ph34r: ) "They are now - I'll have them" after which I remembered my manners and thanked them profusely xD

Sorry Talullah - this is hijacking your thread somewhat but in my defence we have got loads of outdoor stuff for our packaway setting using active kids vouchers including large storage bags and a wheeled trolley suitable for outdoors - all you need to do now is start vugging/vabusing (new words methinks) those non-collecting shoppers!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)