Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I surely cant be the only person to cringe at this......

I cringe everytime I hear "who's poohed", "do you need your bum changing", "who needs a wee", especially when bellowed at full volume across a room. Is it just me???

Well I was going to agree, but then over my cup of tea I was thinking about it (as a diversion to thinking about what I should be doing!)

I suppose really it all depends on the 'tone' and body language said.

On one side- especially when yelled with a scrunched up nose - extremely cringworthy

......however said is a positive niceish singsongy type way - it could demonstrate that they are totally normal bodily functions --something some children find difficult to accept.

although that said I really can't stand 'bum changed' xD

• Like 1

I usually ask ' can i change your nappy so you're clean and comfy?'.........and I KNOW that some might take me to task for using the word 'clean' ......but I also ask if we should go and clean up after painting or any messy activity, so it seems natural to ask about nappies in the same way.

alleluia!! I was beginning to think I was abnormal!!. Just taken over a new nursery and slowly slowly catchy monkey....this is something I will address at the 1st staff meeting in January!!

It's a bit like the 'naughty' word being used, often it's repeated from home . One of our little ones says' bum' as that is what mum says as so many do, it is frowned upon to say pooh stink despite many children laughing at this when having nappy changed , I did this with mine at home and so I expect did many more of you but it is not expected in settings as can be derogatory to the child , I think it depends on parents child and policy for settings . But I agree a dirty nappy should not be announced across a room , the smell usually tells you so why announce it !

the psla policy on nappy changing actually states something about not making comments about a child's nappy /derogatory comments etc cant remember it exactly but along those lines!

Just what I was about to say, finleysmaid. The great thing is that since it is written down in the policy (which staff have probably signed to have they have read) it is easy to start a conversation about what a 'derogatory' comment might be, and what kinds of messages these phrases might convey to children. And it is easier to tackle members of staff who have the occasional lapse... ;)