Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Grape rules?

I always cut grapes in half because choking issues and ask parents to chop them in lunchboxes. One mum is moaning that her daughter doesn't like cut up grapes and won't cut them up so I have said her daughter does eat them cut them with us and we will continue to cut them up as its our rule. Anybody else have problem with this?

We too ask for grapes to be cut in half in packed lunches and also cut them in half for children who have them as part of a setting supplied lunch - because they aren't a soft fruit they can be a choking hazard. We also ask that cherry tomatoes be halved and fruits containing stones such as cherries and plums are de-stoned and cut in half to minimise the choking hazard that they present.

It might sound a bit prissy but when there are 30 children aged 2 to 4 to supervise for lunch if a hazard can be minimised I would rather do that than have a child choke to death on my watch.

If we have parents who "object" we do point out that supervising 30 children as opposed to just a couple presents a different level of challenge!

• Like 4

Under fives need grapes cutting up lengthways otherwise they are a serious choking hazard. They can block the wind pipe. There are quite a few cases of young children dying from choking on grapes. I would just explain why you have a policy of cutting up grapes and that you are not happy to take the risk. After the tragic case in the news today today of a small child dying after eating mashed potato, I think anything that can prevent the possibility of choking whilst eating is sensible.

• Like 4

We cut up grapes and tell the parents. We were told at first aid training that once stuck, grapes are nearly impossible to remove from a child's throat, even by experienced paramedics. One of our grandparents was also at the local Tesco some years back when a child choked and died on a grape so her family were particularly paranoid about grapes in general, never mind those made safer by cutting up. We do quote this also!

• Like 2

They are definitely cut up at our setting. Parents are reminded frequently of our guidance/rules.

What parents feel happy to do in their own homes is one thing, but we are not willing to take the risk here.

I'm sure there are plenty of other fruits they can have instead.

We had a parent recently tell us after reminding them constantly on our Newsletters that their child had a peanut butter sandwich in their lunch box, which we do not allow due to a child's allergies, say " but it's their favourite".:( :(

Fortunately the other child wasn't in that day.:(

• Like 1

We always cut.We check lunch boxes daily, removing grapes and cutting if parents forget. We have had parents who say their children don't want their grapes to be cut but we insist that they are cut in half and tell them not to put them in as we will continue to cut them in half.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)