Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do you remember......

sunnyday

same for us.. bath night was Sunday night... with sing something simple... and we also took turns.. but as there were 2 of us it was not too bad... Dettol baths... milky water !

that developed into the individual ones with bath cubes but still only one a week... luxury was when we had a power shower in the bathroom.. no more shower heads that stuck on taps and bending over the bath to wash my hair, using cups of water. .

Your 'Tilly'? Surely you mean your 'Tuppence'

Ahem - what's this 'inflation' - i thought it was your halfpenny........sure we were all urged to 'keep your hand on your halfpenny' - maybe I simply misunderstood this instruction :o :blink: xD :rolleyes:

Anyway 'Sing something Simple' and 'The Clitheroe Kid'........and then on TV 'Sunday night at the London Pallidium' - my burning ambition was to be a Tiller girl........

• Like 1

Oh so many memories being invoked here - we had no central heating so bath times were (like many others) shared bath water brothers and sisters one after the other. We had the added bonus of a paraffin heater in the bathroom - drying off was always a bit challenging as the heater took up so much room that you frequently ended up with a nice diamond pattern branded onto your bottom if you didn't manage the space properly!

Also the joys of the outside loo - absolutely freezing cold no matter what the season.

My junior school was a bit like Colditz with a concrete playground so lots of scrapes and PE was somewhat challenging - we had marble drains - special drains with marble holes in them so that we could sit on the nice cold concrete and play marbles during break time and as for school lunches with those metal cups and water jugs - well!

Quite how did we survive? There are lots of these types of ode about but this one is quite good for some of you other golden girls out there

If you were born in the 40's, 50's, 60's & early 70's
Well done for still being here!
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat and tuna from a can.
Our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes we had no helmets.
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.
Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, or Subway .
Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and no-one actually died from this..
We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We did not have Playstations, Nintendos, X-boxes, no channels on SKY, no mobile phones, no Internet or Internet chat rooms...........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!
We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no Lawsuits from these accidents.
Only girls had pierced ears!
We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.
You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time.
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL !
And YOU are one of them!
CONGRATULATIONS!
  • Like 3

I well remember my mum telling me to keep my hand on my halfpenny when I first started courting (that's dating for you younger members) - but that was to do with not letting boys get too close! Can't even think where that expression originated from., but without doubt for all other reasons, it was a tuppence in our household.

Edited by Panders

Oh so many memories being invoked here - we had no central heating so bath times were (like many others) shared bath water brothers and sisters one after the other. We had the added bonus of a paraffin heater in the bathroom - drying off was always a bit challenging as the heater took up so much room that you frequently ended up with a nice diamond pattern branded onto your bottom if you didn't manage the space properly!

Also the joys of the outside loo - absolutely freezing cold no matter what the season.

My junior school was a bit like Colditz with a concrete playground so lots of scrapes and PE was somewhat challenging - we had marble drains - special drains with marble holes in them so that we could sit on the nice cold concrete and play marbles during break time and as for school lunches with those metal cups and water jugs - well!

Quite how did we survive? There are lots of these types of ode about but this one is quite good for some of you other golden girls out there

If you were born in the 40's, 50's, 60's & early 70's
Well done for still being here!
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat and tuna from a can.
Our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes we had no helmets.
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.
Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, or Subway .
Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and no-one actually died from this..
We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We did not have Playstations, Nintendos, X-boxes, no channels on SKY, no mobile phones, no Internet or Internet chat rooms...........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!
We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no Lawsuits from these accidents.
Only girls had pierced ears!
We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.
You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time.
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL !
And YOU are one of them!
CONGRATULATIONS!

Fab - thanks for sharing! :1b

I well remember my mum telling me to keep my hand on my halfpenny when I first started courting (that's dating for you younger members) - but that was to do with not letting boys get too close! Can't even think where that expression originated from., but without doubt for all other reasons, it was a tuppence in our household.

Ah - that's quite right - well I hope you always heeded your mum's advice my little black and white furry friend :1b

• Like 1

Keep yer and on yer ha'penny stems from when you kept yer change in yer knickers I believe! And it was intended to be a warning to not let boys get too close.

KEEP YOUR HAND ON YOUR HA'PENNY

When Molly began to go courting

Her mother was anxious to tell

How certain young fellas would want her

to stray down the pathway to 'ell

So Molly's old ma used to say:

cho: Keep your hand on your ha'penny

Cover it well with your palm

Keep your hand on your ha'penny

And Molly will come to no harm

They'll hug you and kiss you so sweetly

They'll make you feel ever so nice,

But handle the fellas discretely

And follow this simple advice:

When Molly and I went out courting

I told her she'd nothing to fear

But down in the meadow last Sunday

I whispered these words in her ear

Take your hand of your ha'penny

Look into my bonny blue eyes

And I'll give you --- a lovely surprise!

• Like 4

Keep yer and on yer ha'penny stems from when you kept yer change in yer knickers I believe! And it was intended to be a warning to not let boys get too close.

KEEP YOUR HAND ON YOUR HA'PENNY

When Molly began to go courting

Her mother was anxious to tell

How certain young fellas would want her

to stray down the pathway to 'ell

So Molly's old ma used to say:

cho: Keep your hand on your ha'penny

Cover it well with your palm

Keep your hand on your ha'penny

And Molly will come to no harm

They'll hug you and kiss you so sweetly

They'll make you feel ever so nice,

But handle the fellas discretely

And follow this simple advice:

When Molly and I went out courting

I told her she'd nothing to fear

But down in the meadow last Sunday

I whispered these words in her ear

Look into my bonny blue eyes

And I'll give you --- a lovely surprise!

That's fab. Someone should have told my nan, she told my mom 'jack was fumbling in my corset and 9 months later i had our John!'