Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do you remember......

sunnyday

we still have saturday morning pictures in our local cinema and it is still called pictures and is always well attended by children

Well I'm really pleased to hear it!!!

The 'pictures' hereabouts is 'the cinema'........I much prefer pictures or even 'flicks' :D

I'm loving all the 'memories'! :1b

Thought of one that I really didn't like........at primary school........PE (outdoors) in all weathers........wearing our vests and knickers only.......brrrrrrr.........no wonder that i have such an aversion to the cold :( I remember that our teacher (s) would be bundled up in coats, scarves, gloves - what was that all about? :blink: Who thought that was a good idea - brrrrrrr - legs resembled corned beef :(

• Like 1

We used to have a 'sweet lady' actually I think she may have been some kind on insurance lady with a 'side-line'

Anyway, she used to arrive weekly with a HUGH suitcase and we could choose our weeks supply. With hindsight, I now realise this must of in fact been a rather small vanity case....... as she came on her bicycle!!! :blink: :1b :1b

I'm loving all the 'memories'! :1b

Thought of one that I really didn't like........at primary school........PE (outdoors) in all weathers........wearing our vests and knickers only.......brrrrrrr.........no wonder that i have such an aversion to the cold :( I remember that our teacher (s) would be bundled up in coats, scarves, gloves - what was that all about? :blink: Who thought that was a good idea - brrrrrrr - legs resembled corned beef :(

Don't remember pe at primary, only secondary - corned beef legs - how I yearned to have my friends olive skin - pale isn't always interesting! They certainly knew how to put girls off pe for a very long time -

• Like 1

I vividly remember my primary PE lessons. One teacher (Y1 I think) asking me to demonstrate my skipping for the rest of the class because it was lovely - my proudest sporting achievement! ;):D

Then a few years later hearing a different teacher comment when I 'entered' for the trials for the skipping race "Oh it is nice to see someone who hasn't got a chance having a go!" :angry: :( I have been determined ever since not to create the feeling it gave me in any of my children.

• Like 4

i remember trying to play hockey in 4 inches of snow! we did at least have joggers on but the teacher was wrapped up in about 16 layers! the communal showers afterwards weren't much fun either! when i used to stay with my Grandmother in scotland the grocer used to turn up in a van (like louby loo's lady) it had meat/bacon/bread and cakes on it....i was always allowed to choose a cake YUM! (dont think the EHO's would allow it now...no refridgeration!)

I hated PE too so I learnt how to do my moms writing and signature, verruca, cold, period, twisted ankle, swollen wrist, strained shoulder... I also wrote notes for other people, I had a fair few different writing styles to choose from ;)

Failing that, I'd wag it and do a note for my form teacher saying I had to leave early for doctors, dentist, optician, nurse.. Or, I'd write one the following day, Andrea came home early yesterday because...

French and science classes had the same treatment :D

Edited by Rea
  • Like 3

I had a 'recurring kidney problem' which surprisingly kept flaring up at PE lessons! I would then slope off and watch the boys play rugby or athletics as my boyfriend (eventually my husband) would be competing and that was a much better way to spend my time

My son suffered dreadfully with ingrowing toenails, so he was either suffering with one or recovering having just had one removed. Consequently he spent his school days in steel toecapped boots and I didn't allow him to do PE - just too risky. He spent PE lessons fetching balls or helping the school secretary or whatever they could find for him to do. On his final report it said that he was excelling at PE and with encouragement could really go far. A good team player as well as individual sportsman. They had a good knowledge of who my son was, eh!

• Like 3

My son suffered dreadfully with ingrowing toenails, so he was either suffering with one or recovering having just had one removed. Consequently he spent his school days in steel toecapped boots and I didn't allow him to do PE - just too risky. He spent PE lessons fetching balls or helping the school secretary or whatever they could find for him to do. On his final report it said that he was excelling at PE and with encouragement could really go far. A good team player as well as individual sportsman. They had a good knowledge of who my son was, eh!

I asked one teacher if she had two Richard greens in her class, couldn't possibly believe she was talking about mine!

Did you have the tuck shop? In juniors I always bought a packet of 3 fig rolls!

Does anyone remember Terry's Chocolate lemon? We were just talking about that t'other day

No :blink:

Don't remember that Mundia. Does anyone remember the Cadbury milk tray bar of chocolate? I saw one a couple of weeks ago in a shop window, I think it was in devon

Yes! :1b Very nice they were too! :D