Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Challenging child from year 2 coming back to our nursery for support

A child we had originally in nursery when he was 3, is coming back to us, although he is now 6. Developmentally he is has not progressed since we had him. He was very difficult to track as he only came in occasionally and mum offers a very shaky home life. The reason he's coming back is because no-one in the other classes can cope with his wild behaviour. He is not statemented ( I don't know why). He is not allocated a 1:1 which he certainly needs. This starts soon and we are very anxious about what we can do. Any advice about any of this situation would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure how this child can be "backyeared" without an Ed Psych assessment or some kind of IEP or statement. If this child is 6 years old chronologically but developmentally working significantly below expected levels then surely your setting SENCO should be involved. If his attendance is poor then is there any involvement from Educational Welfare?

• Like 1

Are you covered for insurance to have a 6 year old? What does your Ofsted registration state? How will he be financed? Sorry, lots of questions, but the most important is, have you been consulted properly throughout the process?

• Like 1

im sure someone with more school experience will come and post but i'm pretty sure that this is against all the sen codes of practise. This cannot be good for this child's self esteem and he and his family most certainly need help. How are his friends going to view this (oh he's a baby he's in with the babay class etc etc!) moving him from pillar to post is very bad practise IMO and potentially i think illegal.??

• Like 3

Can you get a CAF running for him? Simply putting him back in nursery isn't going to address the cause of the problems.

I would also put in a request for a statutory assessment. You will need copies of previous IEPs and reviews showing that they have not been successful but they shouldn't be hard to come by if he is being put back like this.

• Like 1

It could be part of the statementing process to determine the level of his need but it is going to make things extremely difficult for you and for him and his peers as Finleysmaid has suggested. I would not be happy to have this child without 1 : 1 support for him to enable him to interact within your environment appropriately and not to upset the ratios and relationships for the other children.

• Like 3

Guest MaryEMac

I'm not sure that this is a good idea. What age group are you registered for and what have Ofsted got to say to this. If the child does not yet have a statement what on earth have the school been doing? You also have to look at the impact that this will have on your pre-school age children. I would get as much back up as I could from your advisor, local authority, Area Senco. Did you complete a CAF for him when he was with you before and if so is it still ongoing or has it been closed by the school. Also how will this child be funded. I would look very carefully at everything before you agree to have this child back. Keep us posted on how things work out.

Mary

I am finding this very strange as it is inappropriate for a 6 year old to be put back into Nursery. Who has decided this? Surely if his behaviour is 'wild' the last place he should be in is a Nursery with much smaller children. The school need to be going through the SENCO and getting support in place in his own class. As he is 6 he is most likely older Y1 or even Y2, so what has been going on since he left nursery. I would be going back to the Head with a list of questions and making the point that whatever age he is developmentally he is the schools problem not the nurserys.

• Like 4

Sorry for delay, just asked a few questions as it's not actually me dealing with this but I want to be supportive to the teacher who is. Apparently it's allowed because he will be getting Edu. Psyc. Visits while he's with us. Thank you so much for all the speedy replies!

I've worked in nurseries where older children have been sent to younger rooms because of bad behaviour. Even young children know they're being singled out. I hated it.

When my youngest was in yr2 a lad from y4 was often sat in a corner of the class with'work'. Not allowed to engage with the yr2 children. Horrible situation.

I'm sure the powers that be have squared this with themselves but really I think its a horrible thing to do and speaks more of the schools lack of inclusion than anything else.

• Sad 1

Sorry for delay, just asked a few questions as it's not actually me dealing with this but I want to be supportive to the teacher who is. Apparently it's allowed because he will be getting Edu. Psyc. Visits while he's with us. Thank you so much for all the speedy replies!

I don't understand how visits from the Ed Psych are going to help. I'd ask to see reports from all professionals involved and, if a CAF can't happen for any reason, at least a multi-agency meeting to ensure everyone understands the reasons behind this move and agrees that it is appropriate.

• Like 3

the ed psych will not be able to assess his needs effecively if he has been removed from his usual classroom. How are they going to be able to work out 'where' he is stuggling if he is not in his normal classroom? Will you be doing his IEP's and working on P scales ? Do you know what he should be learning in the curriculum at present? ....sorry i still think this is the wrong approach but realise you may not be in a position to change it :(

• Like 5

I am still unsure of the rationale behind the decision for him to return to nursery, as well as the implications this might have for him and the other children.

Why has it taken so long to get everybody onboard, did he start school at the normal time.

Is your nursery on the school site?.

Agree with Finleysmaid, that surely a Ed Pysc assessment should be taken in the school not the nursery.

Please let us know how this is all going.

Edited by Fredbear
  • Like 1

I am assuming this is into the school's own nursery class, rather than a nursery provider on the school site?

I think the comments re the child's curriculum and provision to meet his learning needs is paramount. Who will be responsible for his teaching and learning, who is responsible for reporting to his parents. Where will he go in September next year? Back to year R??

Cx

• Like 1

I can't believe this kind of strategy is even being hinted at for this poor boy. To leave nursery, progress three years up the school to Y2 and suddenly he finds himself shunted back to nursery. It's like an awful game of snakes and ladders. I'm with the others in thinking that the Ed Psych evaluations need to happen BEFORE he goes anywhere as it is how he copes in his Y2 environment that needs to be considered, and only then can discussions be started about what needs to happen next. I find it incredibly hard to believe that a move back to nursery is in anyone's best interest, whatever the outcome of any evaluations might be. If he is developmentally behind and has made no progress since he was originally in nursery, what difference do the powers that be think making him go through it again will make? If he really is being returned to you simply because no one else can 'handle' him that's even worse!

People need to sit down around a table NOW and some serious questions need to be asked of the SENCo/HT etc, as this situation looks like it has simply been allowed to drag on and on. Obviously we here cannot know all of the facts and I could be barking up the wrong tree completely (and apologise if I am) but in your shoes I would making a LOT of noise, on behalf of myself, my colleagues, my children and most of all, this little boy, as it sounds like his needs are most certainly not being met. Good luck with it all, let us know what happens.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. He basically has been put with us because no-one else can take the time out of teaching to handle him, which sounds a bit under valuing of our class doesn't it! Anyway, he is reacting well behaviourally as we offer a nice calm approach but educationally we are not offering him the correct curriculum. I strongly suspect the outcome of his observations will result in his admission to a school more suited to his additional needs. Thank you for the quick replies when I needed them :)

He basically has been put with us because no-one else can take the time out of teaching to handle him, which sounds a bit under valuing of our class doesn't it!

That is appallingly bad practice. He is entitled to be educated in the correct class with appropriate adult support. If that means one to one, or even two to one, TA support, the school should be providing this and asking the LA to perform a statutory assessment for long term funding, supplemented by emergency interim funding while the assessment is carried out.

Are the parents aware of the number for your local Parent Partnership Service who can advise them on their child's educational rights? If not could you give it to them?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)