Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Documentation from Ofsted

The updated versions of Conducting early years inspections and the Evaluation schedule for inspections of registered early years provision is now available on the Ofsted website.

These versions highlight the introduction of the ”requires improvement” judgement which makes it clear nothing less than good is good enough. The schedule gives clear grade descriptors which not only guide inspectors in the making of their judgements and most importantly are helpful in supporting individual setting’s self-evaluation processes.

As previously attention is given to what an inspector “sees on the day of inspection” but also the knowledge of the provision being inspected.

The documents emphasise the crucial role of teaching and it is helpful that Ofsted’s definition of teaching is included. References to 'Development Matters' have been removed and in places references are now made to the Early Years Outcomes aide.

For ease I have posted the documents below:

Conducting-early-years-inspections-from-November-2013.doc

Evaluation-schedule-for-inspections-of-registered-early-years-provision-from-November-2013-1.doc

Best wishes

Sue

Admin team

• Like 4

All I have done is up-dated our tracker in the back of the Learning Journeys and removed one heading which says Development Matters, these booklets on the whole wont be used until Sept 2014, although I have 5 new ones coming in after Christmas so they will get the up-date.

Don't know whether to change the order of the Prime Areas in the booklet though, we are so used to the DM booklet order, I think we may make errors when writing up and assessing.

Can't see the point in the changes to be honest, and I still don't think that the ICT/technical ones fully reflect just how much young children know and can do, even upon entry.

• Like 1

very interesting that in point 96 it says quite clearly that childrens communication language and literacy skills MUST be assessed in English....this is always a bit ambiguous in other info and always an interesting one for us with 10 languages spoken in the setting. So does that assume that i can assess maths /k+u and creativity in home language then!

"1.8 For children whose home language is not English, providers must take reasonable steps to provide opportunities for children to develop and use their home language in play and learning, supporting their language development at home. Providers must also ensure that children have sufficient opportunities to learn and reach a good standard in English language during the EYFS, ensuring children are ready to benefit from the opportunities available to them when they begin Year 1. When assessing communication, language and literacy skills, practitioners must assess children’s skills in English. If a child does not have a strong grasp of English language, practitioners must explore the child’s skills in the home language with parents and/or carers, to establish whether there is cause for concern about language delay."

The EYFSP allows you to assess in home language for other aspects except the ones above.

The order of the DM aspects was always out of kilter with the order in the statutory framework and the EYFSP so having the new document aligned minimises risk of confusion for everyone doing EYFSP assessments

Cx

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)