Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Stickers

We use stickers as a reward system, but not heavily. So if a child has done something fantastic, used the toilet for the first time, tidied away before being asked etc. they get the immediate reward. Sometimes at songtime a bit of ennui can creep in, and so the children who are making an effort get one, and amazingly the whole thing picks up! Sometimes the sticker goes in the home diary and sometimes on the jumper, depends on the child - one child peels them off and eats them, so it goes in her diary.

• Like 1

I wouldn't give any. People should be do considerate things out of care for others and the environment, not to get a reward. More valuable to the child is, in my opinion, to point out the impact of their action on others. In many situations you can just say a warm 'thank you'.

• Like 1

I agree with wildflower on this one - acknoweledging expected behaviours or praising the effort/achievement and why something is good/great etc is my personal opinion is, in the long run far more beneficial - it helps to create a growth mindset rather than a fixed one (see the work of Carol Dwek or Guy Claxton). Plus verbal praise costs nothing - stickers can cost plenty! ;)

I should add that experience in the past has show that they can become quite divisive with some 'wanting' one for no reason or effort and not understanding why they can't have simply because someone else has got one. Praise the effort and create a can do culture and it's ok to 'fail' as I can have another a go and keep trying - so linked to the characteristics

Edited by apple
  • Like 3

We give them on occassion but not to all children all the time, pretty much how Cait does it. There are some children who benefit from having something longer lasting than a thumbs up or well done too, especially for behaviour, but they tend to be in a diary.

• Like 1

I use them as immediate reward. I would love my children to be able to understand the joy of a simple thank you....but to my little ones (especially those with sen needs) it isn't motivating enough. I use them VERY carefully but i have 12 toiletting at the mo...so they are being got through quite quickly!! xD

• Like 3

I am doing similar to finleysmaid.

I think it's up to the setting, nothing wrong with using or not!

We do tend to use them more at this point in the academic year though perhaps to exaggerate the joys of tidying up or being kind or weeing on the toilet and not in pants etc!!

• Like 1

do you have to wean them off stickers after tidying up? which is such a key life skill (or though you wouldn't think my neighbours knew that with the state of the rubbish stinking away in their front garden!) maybe they didn't have enough stickers when they were younger xD

No, no need to wean as it's not an everyday occurrence to give them out. We are still doing it at odd times throughout the year when something particular happens.

"This means that instead of learning, growing, and moving the company forward, everyone starts worrying about being judged. It starts with the bosses’ worry about being judged, but it winds up being everybody’s fear about being judged."

Very interesting sentence in the leadership and management section! Ofsted take note!

• Like 1

do you have to wean them off stickers after tidying up? which is such a key life skill (or though you wouldn't think my neighbours knew that with the state of the rubbish stinking away in their front garden!) maybe they didn't have enough stickers when they were younger xD

y

my deputy is a great sticker believer as she says the mlore the merrier! The children respond well to it, but I don't give out anywhere near as many. At tidy up time I hate to hear "but I tidied up too, I want a sticker" etc. when I am doing tidy up time, I use a red sparkly star which I wave over heads and give a special mention to those children who have been noted to have helped best.

I c ertainly give stickers out when children are doing something independently, or whose efforts are so great the need some extra motivation

we use as an incentive/carrot in september for tidying etc as praise not enough of a reward, then it lessens through the year for this as children understand why we should all help and fairness etc, but may give for other things, e.g. singing if you end up doing a solo performance!! and toileting - got 4 of 31 in pull ups - they go to reception next year. so we are toilet training and stickers great incentive as per scarlettangel!! it all depends on your cohort and area you work in i think, but giving out willy nilly is pointless i agree x

our key groups are red, blue and green. We have a pot of each colour and during the session staff tell children who are seen doing something specific, new, random, to put a token into their pot. The tokens are a box of 'things', duplo bricks, cars, marvels, odd bits and at the end of the week the tokens are counted with cheers for the group with the most

I too was not criticising those that use them, I suppose for us it was more about the practitioners choosing those to give them to and some not, that at times was unfair and more importantly why they did or did not.

So after a team discussion it was decided to stop them.

I think you know your cohort of children best and what works best for you all.:)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)