Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Am I wrong in thinking my Deputy could do a bit more?

Guest Spiral

Hi there,

I am trying to do the usual 'September shake up' and ensure we don't get set in our ways.

My deputy works the hours they are paid for and no extra. They also are doing little more than the other staff, but are paid nearly twice their wage.

As far as managing in my absence, they can do that (not if Ofsted asked them where we keep records or how to reflect of positive practice).

I know some of this is my fault by saying 'don't worry, I'll do it', but it has become a huge weight on my shoulders and I cannot carry the sole responsibility any more.

Any thoughts please,

Spiral ;-I

Does your Deputy have a job description? If not, how about creating one with her, listing together her duties? During this discussion, you could mention how she could be taking on more responsibility as befits her status as Deputy. Why not write down all the jobs you think you'd like to delegate to her, and put them in order of priority? This would give you a base from which you start your discussions. In my experience, it's best to give up whole jobs rather than bits and pieces, otherwise you're just checking who's done what for each job that you're sharing.

Alarm bells ring, when you say she couldn't find records, or talk about reflective practice. Why not? If she is there in your stead, and Ofsted arrive, how would that work? I think you might need to address this first, to put yourselves in the best possible situation.

A good Deputy is worth their weight in gold- I could not have survived ten years in my nursery without my one! :D

• Like 4

Thank you for your response Helen,

Believe me I am alarmed!

I have tried to discuss this but it ends up with them getting very defensive and picking on aspects of my/other staff's work too.

Appraisals are due and I am wanting to get this sorted.

The job description is key I know and I am aiming to ensure they meet their roles and responsibilities.

What are other managers delegating to their Deputies?

Edited by Spiral

My deputy is fantastic......... now.

But I did have to learn to delegate, which I found very difficult at first as she did things 'differently' for me (made me realise just how much of a control freak I can be :blink: )

Even now things are often not done as I would have 'liked' - but I've learnt - sometimes (most actually!) it really doesn't matter :1b :1b Different = good usually- just from a different perspective.

She still has an odd wobble (panic) and says she's not sure where the paperwork is- but when given 'the look' she laughs and remembers all the important stuff. xDxD

• Like 4

My Deputy is very good - she could certainly hold her own with Ofsted and I have an Ofsted File, which she knows to hand to Mrs. O should he pop in when I am not there. Keep things as simple as possible with your paperwork, I have files, they have huge labels on them and they are all kept together. The only time they are not, is when we have them on the table during a session, i.e. accident book etc. In Kent we are encouraged to do a Statutory Welfare Requirements audit every year - this is where we record where the information can be found for all the welfare requirements, its a two page table, I go through it at the first staff meeting of the year, every year.

As also suggested get that job description sorted - there are plenty out there on the internet to get you thinking and started if that is what you need, then you can come up with your own take on it.

Explain it on the line how difficult you find feeling so responsible for "everything" for the group and that your deputy/s really need to step up and take on a little extra.

I agree wholeheartedly with Louby Lou, it may not be done as you would do it, or as you may wish it to be, but, as long as it is done and done to the requirements then that should be good enough. Are there any courses you could suggest for her cpd when you do the appraisal, have a good look beforehand for something to suggest. I don't do my appraisalsuntil the last term of the year, as I like it to be about the good year they have had and what they want for the future. When you do your Supervision, and have done your staff observation you could add in a bit extra about doing more to help.

• Like 1

. In Kent we are encouraged to do a Statutory Welfare Requirements audit every year - this is where we record where the information can be found for all the welfare requirements, its a two page table, I go through it at the first staff meeting of the year, every year.

Hi Panders - I like the sound of this table, is it something that you could share??

Gosh, as a teacher it is part of the pay and conditions that you will also do any other duties as reasonably requested by your HT and hours as needed to deliver your duties. This is also part of the councils JDs - could you add something like that???

Cx

Yep, their JD states the same, I have just taken lots on myself and let things slip.

However, they have also let things slip and have become complacent.

In one of my previous posts I did ask whether the manager has to go on trips out (with children who are all being accompanied by their parents). I did not accompany them and spent the whole day sorting paperwork and cleaning equipment. This is something the deputy has not 'forgotten' and they are still reminding me that I should have been there!

What has annoyed me is that when I have tried to bring it up, I am bombarded with excuses and examples of others not doing their jobs. They are very strong willed and strong in an argument too...there is little or no give.

This hinders things, but I am determined that things must change. I cannot continue to be the only truly responsible one!

I do think the best step is to remind everyone of their their job description and to set a date for the appraisals, each person can consider their role and the deputy can prepare for some stepping up!

Shake them up by telling them if they don't fill their job descriptions roles and responsibilities then you will find someone who will!!!

If they value their jobs they'll step up! I know this is controversial so I'll duck and leave :(

. In Kent we are encouraged to do a Statutory Welfare Requirements audit every year - this is where we record where the information can be found for all the welfare requirements, its a two page table, I go through it at the first staff meeting of the year, every year.

Hi Panders - I like the sound of this table, is it something that you could share??

t

I will have a go thumper rabbit unless Sunnyday comes and says I can't

• Like 1

Hi it's tough at the helm sometimes isn't it.

At our inset training day at the end of the Summer Term we go through all the different roles and responsibilities for the coming academic year. ( obviously some are trained specific, but others are just divided up).

Everyone is involved in this and there is an expectation that the person named will follow it through.

Gentle reminders for those that get a little absent minded usually does the trick.

Working as a team is the key factor in all of this and sometimes letting them know you need to feel supported too is often the jolt they need.

I often find the small subtle praise for the things you observe, works wonders to the staffs self esteem. :)

t

Well this sounded so good I just googled and think I've found it - and well worth looking for :1b

Is it called -

The Safeguarding and Welfare Requirement Audit

Kent EYFS - Quality and Outcome team

Looks an interesting document and only 5 pages - I did find a few others with masses of pages.

(I'm to chicken to attach actual document- encase I get told off :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

Edited by louby loo
  • Like 2

Spiral I really feel for you. I think you're going to have to be really strong and determined. If she starts talking about other people's shortcomings you'll just have to say you're not discussing other people's performance, that you want to focus on her role. It's ridiculous that they're bringing up the fact that you didn't go on an outing as some sort of grudge - it was up to you to decide not to go and to use the time wisely.

Maybe another tack would be to tell her that you're struggling with the workload and you need to rely on her to help out. I wonder if you make it sound like you really need her help, she may be more willing? It could almost be starting over - this is what needs to be done, and this is what you need to do to help. You could then formulate a new job description.

It's easy to let this kind of situation stagnate which just makes it worse.

Good luck and stay strong. Let us know how you get on.

Spiral - I feel your pain. My deputy, although experienced, does nothing above the other senior staff. I have tried to give her some responsibilities but she cannot (or will not) handle them. I, luckily, have another senior staff member that does support me and could, at a push, run things if I was not there. Really she needs to be demoted but how?????

I'm to chicken to attach actual document- encase I get told off :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

haha! The rule of thumb in terms of sharing things is actually two-fold.

1. Is there any copyright? If what you are hoping to share has been designed, written or produced by someone else you probably need to make sure you have their permission to share it. This is especially vital if anywhere it says 'copyright' - it is wise not to share because the last thing you'd want is for the Forum to be in breach of someone else's copyright.

2. If there is a link to the place online where the document can be downloaded, it is best to share this link rather than upload the document itself. In this way, whoever designed or wrote the document can retain some measure of control over who accesses it. If they decide they no longer want it to be shared, they can remove it. Also, it means that members who want to download it will always know they are accessing the latest version of the document.

Hope that helps! :1b