Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Stoooopid Question Alert

Sorry to ask but ....my new setting disposes children's soiled nappies in their big-skip-type wheelie bin (small village hall setting):

The last three nurseries I've worked in have always sent soiled nappies home with parents because we never had proper disposable bins - have things changed?

My staff looked at me like I was a loony !

Guest sn0wdr0p

Yes I think it is illegal. We have to specify to our local authority what waste goes in our wheelie bin and human waste is not allowed. The company who sorts our sanitary bins (Professional Washrooms) provided us with a yellow wheelie bin and sacks which they collect and we are charged for how many bags they take. (We put nappies in nappy bags first but gosh it gets pretty whiffy)

We always disposed of nappies in nappy sacks and then into the village hall's wheelie bin.

Families do dispose of their nappies in their bins, but I guess if there is a difference it is in the potential number of nappies a nursery setting might dispose of daily.

If in doubt, contact your Local Authority and/or Environmental Health Officer. As Wildflower says, maybe there are differences around the LAs.

we dispose of ours but our toddler mums take theirs home - it is recommended for business to dispose of them correctly but I think this is for large nurseries with an awful lot of nappies - as a village hall ( charity) we have to pay for our rubbish to be taken away - it went from £40 per year to £190 - we have one domestic household size wheelie bin so sorry as far as we concerned we are going to make the most of it - domestic households use them for nappies . It is similar to the fact that if you have any blood stained items(plasters etc) they should be disposed of in an appropriate bin too and disposed of differently,but tell me how many of us would have that many we could warrant having one of these. H & S overboard - it has to be relevant to size of setting etc and as long as wrapped appropriately and disposed of sensibly - i think that is enough - oops sounded like a bit of a rant there

• Like 1

In order to assist producers and those collecting the waste in meeting the requirements of the duty of care, it is considered appropriate to package human hygiene waste separately from other waste streams, where the premises generate more than one standard bag/container of this waste, over a normal collection interval.

Found in this document.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Beau! :1b

GlamC - I do lurve a 'stooopid question' - we all have them from time to time! :D and they are really not 'stupid' at all :1b

I do know that we have discussed this before - I can remember imagining Panders nipping into Tesco every evening with her little bags of 'poo' :o :blink: xDxDxD

We 'double bag' and send home - but actually I would feel perfectly happy adding them to general waste as we are such a small group :1b

I need to whisper this bit.......we haven't got any children in nappies at the mo :rolleyes: That will change, I think, after half term - the newbies then might be in nappies :1b

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)