Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What font to use.

I am in the process of making up names of the children which will be laminated and put into the mark making area for them to copy.

What font should I use?

and should there be other words e.g. mummy, daddy, cat, dog etc? or just leave it at names?

Sorry for all the questions.

I use comic sans for children to copy from and I have some word mats with simple words - an, in, the, it etc and then some common words such as mummy, Daddy etc. These mats are stuck to the mark making table as well as some numbers. I have lots of laminated words on the free choice trolleys too - not necessarily for them to copy but just so the environment is word rich :)

• Like 2

National First Font and National Primary were ones I downloaded free from a free font site.

I don't like Comic Sans' capitals, but the lower case are good. I look for an open 'a' and 'g' and hopefully a cursive 't'

there are a few sites out there that offer free font downloads

• Like 2

we have this discussion often at preschool- personally feel comic sans is so last year :D but i made the mistake of finding a lovely font and then realised after printing all the names that the 'a' was like this and not what the children learn !! Leladwee is a nice font for documents but there are so many out there !!

we have this discussion often at preschool- personally feel comic sans is so last year :D but i made the mistake of finding a lovely font and then realised after printing all the names that the 'a' was like this and not what the children learn !! Leladwee is a nice font for documents but there are so many out there !!

I must be so last century then as I hand write mine and then laminate them, I like them to look like 'normal' handwriting.

Didn't think of asking the school what they would prefer!! Have done it with Comic Sans for the moment and will ask them when we get back and if needs be can change it. Letters of our names aren't too bad but would prefer a more rounded y. I will look at the two recommended above.

Thank you

feed into about 9 schools so not an option for me!

they all do their own thing, very frustrating at times

I use comic sans as already said easy to read but I have examples of different types of writing around my setting, children come across many font types anyway

Comic sans have no 'joining tails' that many phonic programmes have, e.g. Letters and Sounds and Jolly Phonics, including

the longer 'f' and bend on the 't', and the middle line of the 'e' is diagonal: e f t. I wonder if that confuses children.

We have a girl who is going to a school where they do cursive writing from the start. There are so many ways to write cursive

letters! http://www.cursivewriting.org/joined-cursive-fonts.html

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)