Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Shredded Paper

Hi All,

Just wondering if there is a set rule on using shredded paper with print on for sensory experiences for children?

In my previous setting we used any type of shredded paper.

In my new setting some of my collegues are under the impression if the paper has been printed on you cant use it in play?

Many Thanks.

Welcome to the forum 'Box' - hmmm - restrictions on types of paper for shredded paper play - nope that's a new one on me! :1b

When colleagues/advisors/whoever come up with an idea like that I tend to say very 'sweetly' - "oh, that's really interesting, I didn't know that, goodness, I'd like to research that a bit more, can you tell me where to find the information" :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Its a bit like the 'can you, cant you' use toilet roll middles. I still use them for junk modelling, making fireworks, caterpillars etc

I agree though that there might only be an issue with shredded paper if its used for babies who will put it into their mouths. Surely then they wouldn't ingest enough to cause them any harm?

What a pretty thought :)

I used to provide newspapers and magazines for collage and some germs are needed so I wouldn't protect from everything anyway. Or anything as far as my own were concerned! ;)

Only thing we do is use a water spray around in the air to prevent any asthma children having an 'episode'. We do this for flour play too

pw x

Yes think I would do that too, we don't play with it just because of the huge mess it makes!!

I don't suffer with Asthma but I sometimes feel a bit of a tight chest if I've done a lot of shredding and it does make my daughter (who does have asthma) a little wheezy - but that could just be us xD

Yes think I would do that too, we don't play with it just because of the huge mess it makes!!

I don't suffer with Asthma but I sometimes feel a bit of a tight chest if I've done a lot of shredding and it does make my daughter (who does have asthma) a little wheezy - but that could just be us xD

We've never had a problem - but it just dampens it down enough to avoid those tiny particles in the air as much as poss. Also, I have a fear of shredded staples making their way into the paper so we have a very strict policy concerning who is allowed to do the shredding in the first place!

We bought an inexpensive manual shredder and left it in the Design and Make area for the children to experiment with; initially, lots of stuff got shredded (we had to be careful with observations and planning sheets!! :o ), but the novelty soon wore off. Then the children were able to make their own decisions, even with tactile play.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum 'Box' - hmmm - restrictions on types of paper for shredded paper play - nope that's a new one on me! :1b

When colleagues/advisors/whoever come up with an idea like that I tend to say very 'sweetly' - "oh, that's really interesting, I didn't know that, goodness, I'd like to research that a bit more, can you tell me where to find the information" :rolleyes:

Hilarious Sunnyday , I do the same

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)