Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Twitter, can you sell it to me?!

thumperrabbit

I've found I haven't time for twitter any more. Kind people share the important and ground-breaking stuff on facebook and on here. My advice would be to be very choosy about who you follow and don't be afraid to un-follow people if they tweet too much irrelevant stuff. Time is valuable.

H

I love Twitter. I opened an account months ago but couldnt understand what all the hoo har was about and then suddenly realised it opened up the internet.

It takes you to places and introduces you to things and people you wouldnt find any other way and probably wouldnt think to look for. You decide who to follow based on your own likes, interests and sometimes just because they seem fun.

I follow a mix of people and groups. When you start, Twitter wants you to follow 5 people, that was difficult, but since then those first 5 have mostly been unfollowed.

Each new tweet bring new people along, they're not necessarily following you, their tweets just land in your account. You can choose to follow them or not. If people follow you, you can choose to allow it or block them. You can comment on any tweets you see, sometimes your comments are passed on, retweeted.

I've discovered interesting people and information near and far. I know loads more about the things going on in my local area after following two or three accounts, tomorrow we're going to a Burlesque night which I havent seen advertised anywhere else. I'm always telling hubby new snippets thanks to it.

My youngest son doesnt use facebook anymore because of it.

I'd definitely give it a go, you have noting to lose except time ;)

• Like 3

Like everything else, Twitter is what you make of it. I have never done anything more controversial than retweet Monty Don! LOTS of lovely gardeners on there showing me pics of their plants.

Like Rea says some things just appear and some are amazing like the tweets of city scapes from the air.

Well I have to confess here to being a twitter-holic. I follow a mixture of people I know in real life, some fab people I know from here, and people I don't know but who I share an interest with. I follow very few celebrities, and I'm probably one of the only people on twitter who doesn't follow Stephen Fry!

Its a great way of keeping in touch with what people are doing: its quick, easy to update and updates appear instantaneously. Facebook, I find, tends to be a bit more ponderous.

I'd be careful about who you choose to follow, and certainly don't think you need to follow people just because they follow you. I love some of the parody accounts such as Elizabeth Windsor, Fifty Sheds of Grey and Bridget and Joan's Diary. But I had to unfollow Sir Cliff Richard because he was too crude for my liking.

There's also an FSF twitter account (@EYFSF) run by our very own Key Dude, so you could do a lot worse than follow that. Not that he tweets very much!

• Like 1

Had to have a look at his page #shocked

Some of the tweets are really funny, but those are outweighed by the really crude ones. I don't need that kind of thing on twitter! I love a good debate, and I don't mind being offended but generally I don't want twitter to be crude.

• Like 1

I just looked at cliff too. Is that really him? There were 2, one horrible and one that had only made 10 tweets.

As of yesterday I don't follow Stephen fry either. I had a clear out, he was one of the casulties ;)

Edited by Rea

no STOP thumperrabbit...dont go to the dark side....resist :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

I tell all my learners who to follow on twitter, finleysmaid! I just hope they don't follow me! ;)

• Like 1

I just looked at cliff too. Is that really him? There were 2, one horrible and one that had only made 10 tweets

The horrible one is the parody, the other one may be genuine, I'm not sure. The parody ones usually make that clear in the bio, to be fair!

I just looked at cliff too. Is that really him? There were 2, one horrible and one that had only made 10 tweets.

As of yesterday I don't follow Stephen fry either. I had a clear out, he was one of the casulties ;)

I looked Sir cliff Richard @therealsircliff

don't genuine/verified celebs have a blue tick next to them ?

Yes, I imagine Sir Cliff would have that blue tick. However, I'm not sure what people have to do to get verified. I have two musician friends: one has a fan base that is always doing petitions to get him verified, but nothing has ever come of it, despite him having 'album of the week' on Radio 2 (and also being on Ken Bruce's 'Tracks of My Years' feature). Then another friend had 'single of the week' on Radio 2 and got verified. So the absence of a blue tick isn't a guarantee that 'celebrity' accounts aren't actually the real people.

And yes. I am aware of how nerdy all that sounds! :blink:

• Like 2

I love Twitter! I've 'collected' some really interesting followers and made some amazing contacts!

On a course recently it was suggested that an account for work for parents to follow is a really useful way to get messages across. Just the boss to convince! ;)

Another plus...when you follow a group or person, you dont have to remember to visit their page, you automatically get feeds, not everything they say, but enough that they stay in your focus.

I've just followed the group Finleysmaid linked to. I havent got time to read it now and in a day I'll have forgotten, this way I'll get updates. :1b

:blink: I've done it :o I've taken the plunge......scary for me - especially when I found that I have a 'follower' this morning :o not sure I want one really :blink:

It can be scarey, I always see who they are, have a read of their tweets to see if I like them and how much of me I want them to know. It gets easier though. I like the random little chats you can have too without necessarily following each other :)

:blink: I've done it :o I've taken the plunge......scary for me - especially when I found that I have a 'follower' this morning :o not sure I want one really :blink:

What's your twitter name sunnyday? I'll follow you!

Ah there's a funny thing - I'm following you!!! ;)xDxDxD

Edit to say - well I think I am :blink: xD

Really? Is that what you look like? Please let me follow you! Also. In other news, I'd like to apologise for my inane drivel. You think I waffle on here? Being limited to 140 characters just means I have to tweet ten times as often as any normal person!

Really? Is that what you look like? Please let me follow you! Also. In other news, I'd like to apologise for my inane drivel. You think I waffle on here? Being limited to 140 characters just means I have to tweet ten times as often as any normal person!

xDxDxD I'm now not at all sure it is you :blink: ..........any road up - no point following me - I won't be 'saying' anything! ;)

xDxDxD I'm now not at all sure it is you :blink: ..........any road up - no point following me - I won't be 'saying' anything! ;)

Bunny ears?

And if I don't follow you I can't talk to you. Which would make me sad. Even if you never answer back!