Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transitions aaaargggghhhh

Has anyone had aparent not agree with the transition document that you have written? Only had one parent out os 20 complain saying it doesnt reflect is abilitities during is time at playgroup yet she agreed on last review 3 months ago.

I tried to explain that we could only write about the child what has been seen but she still wasnt happy.How else could I have dealt with it? Woke up thinking this morning have I dealt with it right!

Need some advice please!

Sometimes I suppose it is hard as a parent to hear your child isn't just as you think he or she is, but if you've been sharing a summary regularly I am not sure sure what else you could have done or said

Maybe if the summary shows the child to be well below expected levels the parent didn't take the news on board before?

It's hard as we don't know the child or the situation, to offer advice here.

Unless I had major concerns which I hope I would have shared before a summary for transition I would have said the same as you and talked about the individual child and how the levels are a guideline not the be all and all

Not sure that helps sorry!

Hiya - you may well have this but what about having an addtitional page in your document where the parent can write their thoughts and observations re child. then the following setting can take all information and assess accordingly- following up with the parent ? Hopefully then the parent will feel they have had their say too? does this make sense ? hopefully ! lol :)

• Like 2

Our documents always had a parents comments page... some chose to use it.. others wrote nothing.. and a lot wrote about the preschool as much as the child.. those with difficulty writing in English we transcribed fro them what they said.. same for any not confident enough to write on the document themselves..

It allowed them to disagree, put what happens as they see it, and then the school could decide themselves.. they all did their own assessments anyway once child was at school.

• Like 1

We did have one a couple of years ago that wouldn't let it go to school, pretty average child, nothing not to like on it, the parent just wanted her child to go into school with no preconceived judgements....maybe they should all have that attitude then we wouldn't need to do them ;p

• Like 3

We did have one a couple of years ago that wouldn't let it go to school, pretty average child, nothing not to like on it, the parent just wanted her child to go into school with no preconceived judgements....maybe they should all have that attitude then we wouldn't need to do them ;p

Mouse that made me laugh out loud xDxDxD

Wendy - without knowing specifics it's hard to make any worthwhile comment really.......

Transition Documents 'have' to be prepared - but if a parent isn't happy it is my understanding that they do not 'have' to be passed to school.......

Edit to say - have been reading my eldest granddaughters report from school .........note to her teacher: If you are going to copy and paste, it might be a good idea to use 'find and replace' too - in one section he has used another child's name tsk tsk :rolleyes:

Edited by sunnyday
  • Like 2

I'm back! :rolleyes:

Just given this some more thought - is it in the 'comment' section that the parent has a 'problem'.........if so, I know that I would be prepared to change or delete a comment if it is was causing concern to a parent.......

I wouldn't, however be prepared to change an 'assessment' level.........but I would give parent space to write her own comment and to express her own opinion......

I think that with 'Transition Docs' we need to be as 'fair' as we possibly can - I am always extremely careful not to write any 'derogatory statements'........I am so fortunate in that our reception teacher will come and visit and if there is a'little something' - she will usually observe this first hand :rolleyes:

Sunnyday, that reminds me of my sons school report and grades one year. He got a glowing report with an A for effort & 2 (1 was the best) for achievement for German. Only problem was he didn't do German!!

He said all his class had the same report.

• Like 2

Sunnyday, that reminds me of my sons school report and grades one year. He got a glowing report with an A for effort & 2 (1 was the best) for achievement for German. Only problem was he didn't do German!!

He said all his class had the same report.

OOOH :oxD

My son had glowing reports for PE all through secondary school - you'd think he was going to be a great sportsman! Unfortunately he never did PE at all, because he had severe ingrowing toenails that either meant he was waiting for them taking off, or had just had them off, either way, he wore steel toecap workboots permanently and they are not conducive to PE!

I've done the reports this year just using CofEL! But I don't know that I'm happy with them.

• Like 1

This has happened to me albeit a few years ago, child only came 2 mornings attend school nursery 3 days(private school)

stuck by my guns, we can only put down what we see and know, 6 hours a week is not enough to make a really good judgement call with some children

parent thought a lower score would influence her 11 plus result, REALLY!!!!!

Suer thanks just what I thought.

Same situation 6 hours a week and tried to explain about the back page but she just put " I dont think this report refelects the childs time at playgroup . I think my child hasnt recieved enough 1 to 1"

Didnt know I had to do 1 to 1 lol

The child is lovely.

Told mum there was a space on the repiort that she could tell the nursery teacher all about her child but she didnt.

She may complain to Ofsted but not sure what they would do!

Thanks for the support everyone :D

I learned long ago that you cant win them all all the time :1b

• Like 1

Stick by what you believe, not sure ousted would be interested

If hand on heart you can genuinely put down what you believe is to be correct, you have nothing to worry about and I wouldn't loose any sleep over it, life is tooooooooo short x

We don't do a transfer document for children that attend nursery for more hours.

Mind you, the report is a reflection of what they do in the setting, which you can only presume is how they might be at school. Most children act very differently at home. Teachers say my children need to speak up at school, this is not the loud, confident children I see at home.

Why do parents think that it is ok to change / disagree with our reports. Do parents do that to teachers????

We haven't had so many comments as this year where I adapted our reports to fit in with the two year old check report formats that we were given by the local county council. I think it is due to the fact that we can place a child in the age/stage month areas i.e. 22-36 months, 30-50 months 40-60+ months. I asked key workers to highlight the area they felt each child was secure in but there are also spaces for comments. I think parents become fixated on the age/stage without reading the comments and are convinced their children are either "failing", "weak" or "behind" which they are not - still at least it has prompted some comments. ^_^

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I sat with the parent and explained that this is a snapshot of her childs abilities and went through the ECAt statements as her issue was regarding his speech levels. I think its hard when your child doesnt maintain his levels but he had become withdrwn in the 6 weeks up to it.

Also tried to explain that we saw him for 9 hours total over the whole week and that naturally she would know him better than us.

Tried my best to make her feel better but got the opinion in the end that nothing I said or could have done would be any good. :rolleyes:

Well cant win them all