Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

End of school year pressies

sunnyday

Like you Sunnyday I give the children a book at the end of the year (these similarities are beginning to mount up and I'm getting worried that you and I are each other in a parallel universe :D ). I have the Book People in and during the year when they do their story book sets (usually 10 in a pack for £10) buy them - we sometimes even then earn a free book!

They have a website that might be worth looking at

http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_home_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&cm_mmc=Google%20Adwords-_-Brand-_-the%20book%20people-_-Homepage&gclid=CKm3l6Tnz7cCFTTJtAodNjYAuA

• Like 1

Theres a package of books from the book people at school right now that are 12 books for £9.

All about life cycles- dogs, seahorse, shark, tree, sunflower etc,

They have lovely pictures! I thought they were quite a bargain. I put down for some! I expect you could get them on the web site!

• Like 1

We got this set for the setting and they are just great - came at just the right time as we are exploring life cycles with the children and have Living Eggs from Monday and Caterpillar garden on the go right now - it's all just soooo exciting

Theres a package of books from the book people at school right now that are 12 books for £9.

All about life cycles- dogs, seahorse, shark, tree, sunflower etc,

They have lovely pictures! I thought they were quite a bargain. I put down for some! I expect you could get them on the web site!

We got this set for the setting and they are just great - came at just the right time as we are exploring life cycles with the children and have Living Eggs from Monday and Caterpillar garden on the go right now - it's all just soooo exciting

Ah ladies - thank you - I am searching, searching, searching but can't find them - do you have the title by any chance :blink: :1b

The Works also have good bargains, buy 4 for £5 or something. Ours generally get a book, but this year I think we are going to do something different. They get a book for Christmas and another for birthday, and staff are wanting a change this time

• Like 1

Well like many I like to give books, but do find increasingly that using Book People packages means that some of the books are that popular I fear the children already have them, so the information books I find are a better bet and I try to match child/interest/book.

How spooky is this though, I was in a charity shop last week and saw a Toffee the cat book, we have a couple in the series so, thought good condition I take it. When I got home there was a bookplate inside from 2009, presented to some little chap from a local nursery where my grandchild will be going! Not sure it's spooky but on both counts i though - ahh, the nursery she will be going to (as well as mine) and oh - some children don't keep their books forever!!!! Quite happily turf it out to a charity shop.

• Like 1

Scripture Union do some really good books or children starting school that we always give the children in May. Called Get ready, go, they deal with issues that children will face in an easy to understand way. Even though they are scripture union, they are not Christian books, if you know hat I mean. They are 5 for £10 I think. Will look for the link

http://www.scriptureunion.org.uk/9654.id#.UbD0bsu9KK0

Edited by Cait
  • Like 1

we give ours a little teddy with a printed t--shirt (our logo has a teddy on it) we used to have them printed by a local company but now they are too expensive. I now order in large quantities from a promotions company this keeps them down to a reasonable price. We give books at christmas so try to avoid this again

• Like 1

we only give to leavers too , last year I managed to purchase little planters from Asda , with a packet of seeds, for 50p as they were reduced, we also bought little wooden stars and a member of staff wrote their names on each one and we awarded them in a celebration style . We have just spoke about this years leavers and one member of staff whose child left said she would have preferred a play - my reply was funny how no one said anything !!!! at the time !!

We buy all our leavers a pencil case which we fill with pencils, ruler, rubber and sharpner. We also give them a special card with a special poem on it surrounded by photos from their time with us. Really chokes me up doing the cards!! Gosh thanks for reminding me about this Sunnyday, all I can think about is getting ready to move everything again at the end of term, along with risk assesments for the new building!! Ahh so much to do. :(:(

• Like 1

Guest Vjeffery83

We give ours books (from the book people) at christmas and then at the end of the year we give them an outdoor toy like a frisbee or skipping rope or kite. etc we usually find them in the supermarkets frisbees were around 75p each and skipping ropes about 90p each.

we only give to leavers too , last year I managed to purchase little planters from Asda , with a packet of seeds, for 50p as they were reduced, we also bought little wooden stars and a member of staff wrote their names on each one and we awarded them in a celebration style . We have just spoke about this years leavers and one member of staff whose child left said she would have preferred a play - my reply was funny how no one said anything !!!! at the time !!

We always used to do a play, but felt that this was an adult idea to please adults, and that rehearsals meant stopping the children from doing what they wanted - playing outside in most cases, one year we didn't do a show as such but showed parents the type of physical play we did with the children, so we had the parachute out, we did a Sticky Kids number or two and a couple of well known songs which really didn't require too much rehearsal. Nowadays, we have a short graduation when we hand over a bag of goodies and their learning journeys they wear white t shirts which the staff write messages on after the children have decorated the fronts using fabric pens. We invite out just the leavers to a bowling alley and have a hot lunch there too. The whole group also go out for a picnic to a local park with us and parents a week or so before we break up. I feel this centres more around the children than putting on a show would for parents. I don't even like getting the parents all wound up to tears- crikey this leaving business is bad enough without parents blubbing all over the place and their children asking what's wrong with mummy.

• Like 1

my sentiments exactly panders - we had many children who found the whole standing on stage very daunting and it seems to be for the parents and not the children - they all take part in the Christmas one so not like they are missing out - i think it's historic - always been done so why change it but i did - the children loved it and parents said they did too - just seems some obviously said different but as I said if they dont tell us we dont know ! I like the idea of taking them out somewhere

• Like 1