Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A little sigh...

Froglet

Had a meeting after school today at which the (unconfirmed) outcome is that TA support for my class is going to be cut to just under 7 hours a week. I'm not really that surprised, I know and understand the reasons and to an extent I agree with them - the need is greater elsewhere. I have a lovely class of 21, no major SEN, only 1 child with behaviour issues, they have proved to be brilliant at picking up the many different routines we have and still manage to adapt to new ones but still, I feel disheartened and dispirited by it.

My apologies for taking up your time but there isn't anyone I can share with at all and I just needed to 'sigh a little' about it!

Thank you. Now having a 'little weep' too cos you're being nice - it's been a long day!

But hey we have our class assembly on Wednesday and have been working very hard on our re-telling of 'The Smartest Giant in Town' complete with appropriate facial expressions/body movements (sad and shivery is just lovely as is the cheer when he rediscovers his scruffy old gown)!

Edited by HelenD26
  • Like 3

Oh no :o didn't mean to make you cry..........mind a little weep can be just what the doctor ordered sometimes.......

Wasn't really you, am just very tired - fun but busy weekend and a very early start to the day and full governors meeting after school - I did 12 hours there today. You know those times when children cry because they don't have the energy to do anything else? That's a bit how I am.

Edited by HelenD26

If you're clever enough to actually, really make a roulade, you can do anything! :)

I actually really did make it but honestly it's the easiest thing ever - one of those puddings that look like you've been working on it for hours but actually only took about 30 minutes!

Helen I can sympathise: life just isn't fair sometimes is it? At least you know you can come over here, have a good old moan and someone will be here to offer you a virtual shoulder to cry on. :1b

Hello, thanks for your responses and hugs everyone. I have a parent helper in one afternoon a week and despite many requests no one else seems able to come in. I was thinking of sending a note out asking specifically for someone to change reading books just 20minutes - half an hour a day.

We have a TA student in school at the moment and it is being suggested that she come into my class for 1 day a week. She's lovely but I kind of don't want her. It would be the day that my parent helper is already in and that my TA is actually able to be with me for a bit. Also there will be various paperwork to do to go with her. She's also been working with Y4, 5 and 6 and to be honest I don't feel like I have the energy to get her to know how to work in an EY way. I'm also not sure that she would be able to be on her own with the children outside or inside. I feel very ungrateful but at the moment it feels like having will create more work than it saves me and I'm not sure about saying yes to the proposal.

Helen - don't take her (the student TA) if you don't want her - you clearly don't need her for support on the day as offered if you have a parent helper and your own TA ......... like the idea of asking for help to change reading books - would that be in the last 20 minutes of the day.......this would be more convenient (I would think) for a parent(s) - just to arrive a little earlier than usual......

Good luck with it all x

Ah Helen definitely sounds like you don't need student to add to your mix at the moment. Maybe your volunteer mum has a contact within her friends that could help. My sons' old primary were tripping over with parental helpers what. a shame yours are not more willing. I suppose economics has something to do with it these days. When I give up my pre-school I am going to do the old TA thing but voluntarily if they will have me.

• Like 2

Panders, some other classes have loads! I seem to have a lot of parents this year whose child is either the youngest so parents have gone back to work or the eldest with little babies so parents still at home with them. I actually have a couple of parents who are teachers and want to get back into teaching after a break of 8 years or so and so are volunteering however, they don't want to be in their own child's class! Thanks for the reassurance about not having a student. I've had a first year BEd student on and off this year, again lovely but lots of extra work. She will be back for a final couple of weeks soon so that will help to an extent.

Can I just say again thank you to you all. I felt guilty about what felt like moaning and I really didn't want to be a moany person but you've all helped me to feel like it's ok to have been fed up with the situation.

Panders, some other classes have loads! I seem to have a lot of parents this year whose child is either the youngest so parents have gone back to work or the eldest with little babies so parents still at home with them. I actually have a couple of parents who are teachers and want to get back into teaching after a break of 8 years or so and so are volunteering however, they don't want to be in their own child's class! Thanks for the reassurance about not having a student. I've had a first year BEd student on and off this year, again lovely but lots of extra work. She will be back for a final couple of weeks soon so that will help to an extent.

Our old primary wouldn't allow parents to help out in their own child's class don't know if they have changed that policy - it just made sense to us mums umpteen years ago - could your teacher mums be swopped into different classes and you get their volunteer mum instead? I suppose that is the trouble with Reception your mums would fall into the category of last child or first!

I can't think of one of us on here that would think you were moaning about your lot - we all get times when we need to voice our disappointments and achievements and it has always been my feeling that HERE is just one of the best places because we all have been in similar situations or will be at some time and given our collective ages there is hundreds of years worth of experience!

• Like 1

On our school newsletter every now and then there is a list of 'volunteers needed' and this is things like

assisting class 3 to swimming on weds morning 9:15-10:15

Manning library tues, thurs fri 2pm-3:30pm

Cleaning painting station reception mon 11-12noon

Gardening club lunchtimes thurs

The list goes on, but with it being on the school newsletter parents from other classes can volunteer, perhaps you could think of a list of general things that need doing?

• Like 1