Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Are you out of ratio?

Just a bit of a poll really - I'm specifically interested in pre-school as opposed to day nursery really.

Is the manager of your setting counted in the staff ratio?

Does your manager have a group of key children?

If yes to the above, how much paid admin/management time do they get a week?

I currently have a day for admin but do LOTS in my own time. I have had two days a week for some of the time when we've had less children and I've managed to convince the Head that I need the time! We're school managed and I keep being asked to do more and more in the way of staff supervision, mentoring and data collection which all takes time away from my key working and I don't feel I'm doing any of it properly :( Newer staff recently have been surprised that I'm not out of ratio as they have come from day nurseries. The staff are behind me in agreeing that I should be out of ratio and not a key worker but I need more in the way of supporting evidence to take to the governors as it will obviously cost money to replace me in the ratio.

I hope this makes sense!

Edited to add... maybe it depends on the size of the setting... We have 100 currently on role and up to 52 in a session across two rooms. We have 8 key working staff (including me) and 3 lunch cover staff

Edited by Hello Kitty

Guest Biker

Hi Kitty,

I currently co-manage a preschool based within a school.(Two of work together as managers). We sound similar in size to you we take 48 children across 2 rooms each session. We are both supernumerary though, in practice spend at least three days a week in ratio in order to provide key workers time for record keeping and planning and to cover for lunch breaks. When we initially opened ( 7 years ago) we took keygroups and at times more recently have taken keygroups for example when we have had a staff member on long term sick . We found as we grew that we felt like you we were achieving nothing very effectively. Being supernumerary has enabled us to take a better overview and keep up with paperwork etc!

Hope that helps.

Biker

On a ratio of 1;8 ,with 52 children is 6.5 adults... if you have 8 staff you are over minimum ratio.

would this be the same as being not counted in a nursery environment? As in effect you are the one staff member over minimum ratio. Difference being you are acting as a key worker whereas they probably are not,

​think the issue is as always cost, very few preschools have the luxury of being able to have a manager out of ratio, and many don't pay any hours for admin time. So sorry to say you already have a luxury over and above many. and if it were a school nursery the ratio would be different again with less staff than you already have with the same number of children. .

Hi, I'm just in a small preschool with maximum of twenty children per session. There are forty children on roll. I'm not supernumerary and have my own key group of twelve children. I do all my admin in my own time, it's my Preschool and we couldn't afford to pay me the hours I do.

• Like 1

Hi, I'm just in a small preschool with maximum of twenty children per session. There are forty children on roll. I'm not supernumerary and have my own key group of twelve children. I do all my admin in my own time, it's my Preschool and we couldn't afford to pay me the hours I do.

Same here too!

35 place pre-school with 39 currently on role, and 4 members of staff to supervise - I am now counted in ratio due to the age of the majority of the children (in past years we haven't had to take them so young and therefore I wasn't counted in the ratios)

I'm not a keyperson, but spend all my time on 'shop floor' we don't have internet connection or even an office so all admin done in my own unpaid time.

We lead parallel lives! :D

• Like 2

Small twenty place pre-school, I have twelve key children. I have tried since September to have one session a week out of ratio but it just does not seem to work out. I always seem to be pulled back in!! So from this week will not be out of ratio at all.

I do all the planning etc at home, but I do put down my hours for the extra.

DITTO

I dont key work but i do every thing else, mostly at home as i am part of the ratio's

i do pay myself now and snap everytime i pull some one in to cover me so i can do sme paperwork, something happens and i cant release myself

same old same old :)

Up to 20 children , with 30 on roll at the moment. I'm always in ratio on the 4 days I'm in and have 1 paid morning a week working from home doing everything - or so it seems! Also keyworker to 8 children, who I don't feel I do my best for and get no extra time paid for, although the other staff get 1 hour a month (wowee!).

Jo

• 3 weeks later...