Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Food hygiene on line?

Are you a member of NDNA?

Did all of ours online- very simple, cost £11.99 per person I think

Did mine one evening and was printed and on the wall by the next day.

It's Safer Foods, from memory I think.

Google it, think just costs more if not Ndna member.

Edited by Greenfinch

My local college has started to offer some e-learning modules online.

I get the feeling (even though I work in school) that both my food hygiene is out of date. So I am on the look out for a course or two.

do you need to do an accreditated food hygiene course with a recognised qualification or just basic food hygiene awareness? are you preparing hot foods or just putting out snacks/lunchboxes? I only had to do full food hygiene when I had a child I had to reheat food for, up until then we have used CD based basic food hygiene training which instructs and then you complete a multiple choice exam and print off a certificate, if this is all you need, ring me and I can wing the CD across to you

Edited by max321

thankyou all ladies! did it this evening with saferfoodhandling.....cost £14.40 including the vat, and I have just printed out my certificate. Got 100%, so it obviously wasn't too difficult. They also sent me an email to say if i review the course on line, I get a free H/S course too. Hurrah !

• Like 2

Was thinking about using the educare too, can those that have tell me if its poss for all staff to do once signed up or do you sign everyone up separately ?

Really easy to set everyone up on it, they just need their own user name and password. It's a good system we have done quite a few of the courses and they do offer quite a few free ones. I would recommend it.

I have my whole team signed up with Educare through PSLA - they have all done Safeguarding/Neglect/the new EYFS/Preparing for the new Ofsted Inspections and the relevant staff have done the Safer Recruitment training - all free and easily signed up for. They are adding some more programmes over the next few months I think and others can be brought at a small cost.

• 1 year later...

There isn't any. (Just checked.) I have studied the Food Safety for Business documentation very carefully and written a meticulous food hygiene policy. Food hygiene is part of our staff induction programme. We got the highest rating in the environmental health inspections. They've even checked my kitchen where much of the food is cooked. I have looked into this in the past and was told that the certificate doesn't expire and that it is enough if staff who prepare food get training by someone who has a certificate. But now I worry!

Found this:

UK food hygiene certificates don't have an expiry date. It is left to the discretion of the food business operator or environmental health officer to decide whether a refresher course is needed. This may be a result of changes to legislation or technological developments in food hygiene.

http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/caterers/training/#.U72tBfldXlQ