Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

50 things to do before you are 50

Guest sn0wdr0p

Guest sn0wdr0p

Inspired by HappyMaz's blog I decided to think about 50 things I want to do before I am 50 next year. Seeing the Northern Lights is top of my list as well as going around the wild west in a winnebago.

I did my first thing today - after a lifetime of long dark blond hair I have gone auburn and I love it. Divorce papers for my husband though who failed to notice it!! Typical.

I wondered what ideas others heading rapidly toward 50 would have for their list.

I really wish I'd made the effort to do the hot air balloon ride. Maybe I'll put it on my 60 things to do before I'm 60 list! ;)

One thing I would say is to have lots of little things on your list - and to leave space for things that just happen spontaneously. Some of the best things on my list (such seeing my friend Kal support Ed Sheeran in front of 10,000 people at Thetford Forest) I had no control over: I just accepted a very lovely invitation!

Oh and once your friends and family know you're doing it they'll really get on board and will make lots of suggestions: just remember you don't have to do anything that really makes you feel uncomfortable - although personal challenge has been a big part of my list! :1b

I am going to have a degree before I'm fifty (in three years), come hell or high water. I started one as a mature aged student in 2000 - never thought I wouldn't be able to do that last year.

I am making my house a home. I've been 'camping' here for the last eleven years, waiting for my husband to get a job in Australia. All the hand-me-down furniture will be replaced with something I want, and the extension we've been talking about is in the pipe-line.

I reckon if I get through all that without adding 'divorce' to my list, I'll be doing all right..

I could add 'lose all those baby kgs, but that would be a bit vacuous.

Honey

• Like 1

:( If only........50 has been and gone for me! xD

Congrats on the new hair colour Sn0wdr0p! :1b

Oh and I would love to see the Northern Lights too........

One thing that I really do intend to do is to write to my sons and my grandchildren - I want them to know what they mean to me and how proud I am of them all and little things like how I felt when each of them were born..........(I do tell them all that I love them and that I'm proud of them - but I would like to leave them something that tells them) - crikey sorry - that's all a bit serious and I don't want to bring the mood down.......

• Like 5

Oh sunnyday I think that's lovely. Part of my list was to write to five friends to tell them what they mean to me (which reminds me, I have two more to do!) and it was lovely to see the reaction my letters got.

One of my biggest regrets in life was that my mum and I didn't spend the time she had left to talk about what really mattered to us, and to tell each other how much we loved one another. That sort of emotional literacy just wasn't part of our family life - still isn't - but the older I get the more important I think it is.

So write your letters, and keep writing them whenever anything happens that you think merits an update! They'll be there to treasure for always. :wub:

• Like 1

I used to write to my great aunt and when she died those letters were a much better keepsake than anything else I could possibly of had.

The fifty list isn't so.ething I've thought about. I change my hair colour 4-5ti.es a year, we're slightly violet at the moment!

I would like to get the full set of rugby 6 nations and see England win the world cup live!

I want to visit all the major European cities, see the northern lights and have at least one more holiday with all my family, something we've drifted away from now they're older.

I don't want to do any balloons, bungies, white water rapid type things though.

One of my biggest regrets in life was that my mum and I didn't spend the time she had left to talk about what really mattered to us, and to tell each other how much we loved one another. That sort of emotional literacy just wasn't part of our family life - still isn't - but the older I get the more important I think it is.

My 'thanks Maz' post was incredibly insensitive - sorry........

Maz I'm sure that your mum 'knew' and if my memory serves me right you were incredibly young when you lost her.........as you rightly say it is not until we have aged and lived much 'fuller' lives ourselves that we realise the importance of these things......

I had a conversation once with a fairly elderly friend - she was talking about her relationship with her daughter-in-law.......somewhere in this conversation I said "well if I could have chosen my mother-in-law I couldn't have picked a better one" - my friend said "have you ever told her that"........I hadn't then and I still haven't - can't explain why really......

Oh sunnyday I didn't think you were being insensitive at all!

I think a lot depends on the relationship you've had with people really: if 'baring your soul' has never been part of what you've shared it can be pretty scary (and a bit weird) to suddenly start to do it. As you say, if you've got a close relationship with someone the chances are they know without being told. :1b

Still, sometimes it is nice to hear, don't you think?

• Like 2

Oh I meant to say - congratulations on the new hair colour sn0wdr0p. I'm still debating whether to put 'get my hair cut at a hairdressers' on my list. I haven't been in a salon place for decades - I'm a bit phobic! :blink:

am having my 50th birthday party next week, 4 months after the event, it's taken me that long to get over the fact that I am really half a century old. Am also organising a school reunion for all my former classmates who are also 50 this year so will have lots of opportunities to mull over what is still left out there that I want to acheive/experience. Going to Glastonbury this year and that was very high on my list of 'things to do before I die' list

Something that I would love to do/experience - I would like to be present at a birth - wouldn't that be wonderful?! :1b

Don't think it's ever likely to happen :( as I haven't got any daughters - but I live in hope! :1b

one I dont need to do.. have delivered a few in my time.. when doing my nurse training.. was one of the tings we did way back then..

bit past 50 though but Northern lights has always attracted me as something I would like to see...

one I dont need to do.. have delivered a few in my time.. when doing my nurse training.. was one of the tings we did way back then..

bit past 50 though but Northern lights has always attracted me as something I would like to see...

Wonderful, just wonderful :1b I don't want to 'deliver' one though! :blink: xD :lol: xD

Time is running out for me as I turn 50 in August but I too faced the new year with a new hair colour. I've been blond in various forms for 35 years but sat in the chair and told the hairdresser to do what she wanted. I'm now dark brown (but being to fade) its all part of a plan to slide gracefully in grey which I know is all the roots.

Hubby turns 50 next Saturday but will be arriving in Dubai airport on the morning of his birthday with work without me :angry:

It's our silver wedding in July and I turn 50 in August so will probably have one bash.

We had a joint 'must do' in time for our 50's/wedding to own a narrowboat and we have managed it-last summer. I always thought a once in a lifetime holiday would be on the cards but I'm happy to say we are blissfully happy arriving on a Friday night and settling down with a meal, a flickering stove, a book, crochet, radio,a lie in, and a cooked breakfast with our 2 dogs-no TV or Kids! followed by a walk for me and the dogs and sailing through 4 locks to a microbrewery for lunch.

I don't think theres anything else we want to do apart from being in a position to live abroad and sail the canal network....

Guess I'm just a simple girl

Just had to pop into this exclusive club to say to Biccy that I'm so glad you are enjoying your narrowboat. . We have had one for the last 35 years. We took it to France (by lorry) 20 years ago, and have done almost all the French canals and rivers (not the Midi). Just fantastic!

• Like 2

We had a joint 'must do' in time for our 50's/wedding to own a narrowboat and we have managed it-last summer. I always thought a once in a lifetime holiday would be on the cards but I'm happy to say we are blissfully happy arriving on a Friday night and settling down with a meal, a flickering stove, a book, crochet, radio,a lie in, and a cooked breakfast with our 2 dogs-no TV or Kids! followed by a walk for me and the dogs and sailing through 4 locks to a microbrewery for lunch.

I don't think theres anything else we want to do apart from being in a position to live abroad and sail the canal network....

Just had to pop into this exclusive club to say to Biccy that I'm so glad you are enjoying your narrowboat. . We have had one for the last 35 years. We took it to France (by lorry) 20 years ago, and have done almost all the French canals and rivers (not the Midi). Just fantastic!

Wow!! How amazing!! Are you both self taught or do you have sailing experience? Is it easy to 'get in to'? It all sounds wonderful!

That sounds absolutely wonderful :1b

I always thought a once in a lifetime holiday would be on the cards but I'm happy to say we are blissfully happy arriving on a Friday night and settling down with a meal, a flickering stove, a book, crochet, radio,a lie in, and a cooked breakfast with our 2 dogs-no TV or Kids! followed by a walk for me and the dogs and sailing through 4 locks to a microbrewery for lunch.

That sounds just lovely to me. I'm currently trying to think of what to do for my 40th in October - have no ideas at all at the moment!