Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

To Crb Or Not To Crb

This is from the newsletter our accountant send out.

Looking forward, in early December 2012, the work of the CRB and of the ISA will be merged into a single, new body – to be called the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).

A new online Update Service will also be introduced from early 2013, which will allow individuals (if they choose to subscribe to it and pay a small fee) to apply for a criminal record check once and then, if they need a similar sort of check again, to reuse their existing certificate, with their employing organisation checking online to see if it is still up-to-date.

Edited by Rea

Would anyone be able to put on a copy of a health report for me to down load. My playgroup doesn't have one and as far as I know the staff have never filled one in (although we have all been here for donkeys years). :huh:

Hello Bizzy, Could you explain a little , more what you mean by a health report?

Do you mean a declaration by staff?

Rea, is that information correct? Assume it is- I wonder if they will get it right this time. haven't had any news myself form anyone on this though.

Would anyone be able to put on a copy of a health report for me to down load. My playgroup doesn't have one and as far as I know the staff have never filled one in (although we have all been here for donkeys years). :huh:

welcome to the forum.. have a look in the resource library.. there may be one or two there

The email I mistakenly sent to everyone, has bought 2 responses from people telling me I've included them in my email, 2 responses agreeing that information regarding the renewing of CRBs is impossible to find and looking forward to hearing the DfEs response and 2 people others, one saying she hasn't got the terms and conditions the other telling me the CRB numbers of her staff.

I have of course answered all messages as appropriate.

A childminder knocked on playgroups door looking for me this morning to tell me I'd included her in the email, the playleader told her I was aware of it. The CM was happy I was asking questions because they had recently given her miss-information which led to her losing 2 prospective mindee's.

Just had another one who says I've sent the email by mistake, I've asked her if she has any information on when the CRBs have to renewed by.

You never know, maybe someone does know

Edited by Rea
  • Like 3

Thanks a lot Rea. If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't know a lot of things until much later than I should. Our LEA is very slow to let us know essential info. We couldn't afford for our little pre-school to re-CRB all the 6 staff should our LEA insist on it. I know they think of it as good practice, which it is if you can afford it, otherwise I have to trust and closely supervise my staff of many years, and they me!

• Like 1

thanks Rea- very useful.

Now anju- a small fee? Could £5 or 50p or even £50????? here we go again!

Rea what a shame you mistakenly hit reply to all with your email- how odd that no one else can find that information either!

If nothing else you are certainly stirring up a small hornets nest.

• Like 1

Anju, we'll be clobbered you watch!

Sharky, Birmingham lets us know certain things but not others. When I searched the forum for people from Birmingham there were 41 and I am the only only one who posts regularly, they dont even tell us the forum exists. I get most, if not all my information from here.

Lynne, I've emailed the EY dept explaining I sent to it everyone, easy mistake and not of my making I might add. I'm pretty sure all those addresses shouldn't have been open. Isn't there a way of avoiding that? I hope the EY dept. learn from their mistakes!

Edited by Rea
  • Like 1

I complained about my email being sent out to all the others on the list when the LA sent out emails.. said I did not want all and sundry to be able to email me would they stop doing so...

I believe if they use the bcc field in emails it stops this happening...so not rocket science... and hence not your fault if you 'accidentally' replied to all on the list.

• My question...
  • Have the DfE just regulated that every childcare setting must renew its staffs CRB every 3 years?
    • 373045_116423535060106_264122272_q.jpg

Department for Education We have made no recent change to the regulations covering CRB checks on childcare settings. There is no legal requirement to undertake repeat CRB checks at any given point, although there is an ongoing duty for providers to ensure the suitability of persons caring for children.
      12 minutes ago · 1

One more point of proof for the EY dept. to get their teeth into.

Edited by Rea
  • Like 1

Just one thing to highlight here - just check what is written in your insurance policy. I know that ours states that we will recheck every 3 years in order that insurances are valid - I'm sure that you will be able to negotiate something with insurance underwriters about signed, written statements. Just be careful and read the small print because it could well be a compulsory requirement that might negate cover if not undertaken.

Edited by gatewaynurseries

Just one thing to highlight here - just check what is written in your insurance policy. I know that ours states that we will recheck every 3 years in order that insurances are valid - I'm sure that you will be able to negotiate something with insurance underwriters about signed, written statements. Just be careful and read the small print because it could well be a compulsory requirement that might negate cover if not undertaken.

Thanks for that, I'll check on Monday :1b

Another reply from the DfE...I dont think I should wait any longer for a reply to my email from the council, I'll be phoning them again tomorrow :rolleyes:

Dear Ms Green

Thank you for your email about the renewal of CRB checks.

There are no regulations that require childcare providers to renew CRB checks every three years. The DfE has not consulted on this issue and so it is difficult to understand what regulations and consultation Birmingham City Early Years Department is referring to. I can only suggest that you ask the council to show you a copy of the “regulation from the DfE”. I would be happy for you to copy me into that request, so that I can then see the council’s reply.

Paul Oates

Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) Team

Foundation Years: Sure Start and Quality

Department for Education

Tel: 0207 783 8146

• Like 4

What insurance company are you using? Ours is through PSLA

Another reply from the DfE...I dont think I should wait any longer for a reply to my email from the council, I'll be phoning them again tomorrow :rolleyes:

Dear Ms Green

Thank you for your email about the renewal of CRB checks.

There are no regulations that require childcare providers to renew CRB checks every three years. The DfE has not consulted on this issue and so it is difficult to understand what regulations and consultation Birmingham City Early Years Department is referring to. I can only suggest that you ask the council to show you a copy of the “regulation from the DfE”. I would be happy for you to copy me into that request, so that I can then see the council’s reply.

Paul Oates

Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) Team

Foundation Years: Sure Start and Quality

Department for Education

www.education.gov.uk

Tel: 0207 783 8146

maybe a repeat email with the request and copied to Paul Oates as he has suggested, they will then see his name on the copied to list and he will get replies direct as well if any... if no reply a call asking them and requesting a reply to the email ... may stir up a few things if it is noted that someone from DfE is copied in and showing an interest in this. not that you want to cause trouble of course.. just getting things clarified ..

Thanks Inge, clarification was all I ever wanted.

I've emailed the council, Paul and 2 other settings who have been following this with me. Hopefully we'll hear something positive, but I have a feeling Paul isnt too happy with this.

Is it wrong that that makes me smile? :rolleyes:

Also got our PLA AGM on Wednesday, so I can ask some questions there too, our EY advisors often attend. I've printed all the replies so far just so I know what I'm talking about should anyone ask.

Havent had a good scrap for ages!! xD

Edited by Rea
  • Like 4