Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

To Crb Or Not To Crb

Good for you!! I/we will be right behind you (in spirit ) cheering you on.

What are you going to do if the haven't replied by Tuesday?

I havent given it any thought to be honest. Email my unhappiness, and again copy Paul Oates in so he's aware they havent answered and then phone, find out who to speak to and ask the questions. Then, I have a feeling I should go higher, but I have no idea of the route.

Hi all in oz we have to pay for a working with children's card which contains our address and photo. If I move to another setting I just take it with me. I only have to renew every 5 years at my cost. I am reading all the posts and feeling a little homesick.....I would love to just work normally ..... One of the things I hate here is that you can lone work....my director opens the centre by herself and admits children untill I arrive at 8.am. After I leave at 4.30 one staff member will be there with children untill 6 pm. I work on a 1-5 ratio with toddlers all day by myself..... Sometimes very lonely ......

The Australian system seems much better than ours, but ours is changing next year so fingers crossed it works!

I have worked alone a few times and I dont like it either, its scarey thinking of the 'what if's..'. Are you short staffed, or is that just

how they do it? We can work alone but most people recognnise its not good practice, especially that you're the only person on the premises! I think that's shocking.

You're right Lynned, I was thinking of within rooms not the whole premises.

Expatinoz, you might want to know this...

Requirements for the Childcare Register: childcare providers on non-domestic or domestic premises

The registered person must ensure that at least two suitable persons who have attained the age of 18 are present on the premises at all times.

I have always thought if there was a child on the premises then there should always be 2 staff? Is this not statutory then?

You're right Lynned, I was thinking of within rooms not the whole premises.

Expatinoz, you might want to know this...

Requirements for the Childcare Register: childcare providers on non-domestic or domestic premises

The registered person must ensure that at least two suitable persons who have attained the age of 18 are present on the premises at all times.

remember she is in OZ not UK... different requirements... and only starting out on EYLF their version of EYFS

Hi sorry for the confusion...I am a Brit living in Western Australia , the system is very different and yes it is the norm to lone work...well in the company I work for. It is normal to have all the children by yourself over the lunch time period including baby's ...so really struggling to adapt at the mo. I never thought I would miss working in the UK but I do. I don't want to live there ever again .

• 3 months later...

Having still not received a reply to my many questions before Christmas, I have just emailed the lady concerned with a hypothetical question.

What happens if we dont renew the CRBs through lack of funds?

As it was stipulated as a condition of funding, we wondered if, as of September 2013 we might have to close the playgroup and make all staff redundant or whether the process would take a little longer.

It would help when updating our business plan and with the administration our waiting list if you could inform us of the process and procedures we and the Council would need to follow and the time frame allowed for this.

kind regards.

I figured, if councils are being told off for not ensuring there are enough childcare places, the time is right to ask the question, see if they really will withdraw funding and make us close.

I knew the lady concerned was never going to answer my original queries, how could she if the council wanted to avoid the truth that there had been no consultation and no thought given to this.

I was very careful to lay no blame on the fact she didnt answer before but expressed my hope she'd be able to answer this.

I dont really feel like doing battle, but I thought I'd pop into their inbox now and then amd imagine the jolt of horror when they recognise the email address!! xD

And what really is the worst that could happen? We close. We open, smaller, and paperwork free! :D

And yes, the staff are with me 100% :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r::D

One of my committee members sent in a crb form in the autumn term. It was finally returned to her last week as she'd missed some info. They sent her a whole new form to complete and I did all the document checks and stuff. She had a letter today to say that the form is now out of date, she needs a D&B form and they have securely disposed of her old one! She's furious. Why couldn't they have sent the new form last week! Since completing the original, she has reverted to her maiden name and hasn't got all the documentation through yet, so this newest Ofsted form will have to wait now. Hardly worth it just for a term! Silly system.

I phoned Capita last week to ask when the new Disclosure service will start and they dont know. The lady said its some time in the spring, but they havent been given a date yet.

I wanted to know if I could give all the staffs CRB numbers and have them rechecked under this new system but she didnt have an answer

Cait, this has happened with one of mine. She doesn't use her married name and put this on her form. Twice they have sent her new forms, both times she has sent them back explaining the misunderstanding on their part. They have now written to us & her to say she is no longer allowed to have anything to do with the setting. In the meantime she had re sent her CRB form back to them and we now await their decision. To be honest, she is now on the point of giving it all up (and I really cannot say I blame her) Her child leaves us in the summer for school anyway- so she only has a couple more months with us.

I'm sure they will send it back again now saying it is too late and do the new ones!!