Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Two Year Check When To Do

Buttercup

Hi my little black and white furry friend! :1b

I have a copy of the Kent format and will use if I have to :ph34r: but in the meantime I am sending out my 'cobbled together' letter asking if 'my' children have had an HV check - if they have then I think mine will get their usual assessment in November......it's the whole 'timing' issue as much as anything else i.e. I have new starters who have come to me just before their third birthdays - now when I make any sort of assessment or in this case 'check' I want to be certain sure that it is accurate - talented as I am ;) :blink: xD I cannot possibly get to know these children and make any form of 'judgement' in just a few weeks - sorry should have explained my under threes only attend for two sessions per week which is just six hours........

Oh to win the lottery! How sad is that......not so long ago I would have been saying and it would have been sincere "even a lottery win would not make me give up pre-school" :(

Feel totally bogged down with everything really - how on earth is there less paperwork :o:(

Yes we are in the same position we have 4 turning 3 before Christmas doing roughly the hours yours are. We will leave it until the last possible moment to do the check, only sooner if we can answer the Prime DMs satisfactorily from our observations. I hate the fact that this all appears to be a double up on information gathering.

There is absolutely, positively NO reduction in paperwork. The only reduction I could possibly see is the time taken to do observations has been cut down, no long observations necessarily needed, but 3-5 minute ones are deemed o.k.

The paper mountain will sadly continue its merry way and for PVI's with no administrative people the days need a few extra hours in them. Maybe we should join a Lottery Syndicate!

My staff in the 2-3 room were at a training last night and were told only to do the checks for children aged 2 since September. So I hope they heard correctly, because that's what they are doing!

• Like 1

My staff in the 2-3 room were at a training last night and were told only to do the checks for children aged 2 since September. So I hope they heard correctly, because that's what they are doing!

Oh - well that sounds great - but really not what we are being told at this end of the country :(

In order to undertake any developmental assessment the children need to have time to settle-in and get to know the setting, the routines and the expectations and setting practitioners need time to get to know the children. At our LA EYFS revision briefings we had lots of questions about what to do with the rising 3s who would turn three in the first half term or so and therefore "fall out" of the 2 year check. Reps from our LA have raised these queries with the higher ups (Department of Education I think) however in the absence of any sensible guidance on what to do with children who are rising 3 when they start at the setting we were advised to draft a policy using the 2 year check guidance and to put in something about a settling-in period.

This is an extract from my policy if it helps - the seventy five hours is based on getting to know a child attending 15 hours per week for 5 weeks

The setting will take into account the child’s entry point to the setting and pattern of attendance and allow for a settling in period for a child to enable their key person and other practitioners to build up good knowledge of that child’s development, abilities and interests before completing the progress check. Progress checks will therefore not be undertaken until a child has attended seventy five hours (typically 5 weeks of 15 hours) attendance.

If a child turns three during the settling-in period that I am not prepared to undertake the check as we will not know the child well enough to make an informed judgement - we will however continue with our normal programme of observations and reports for all the children so there will be some sort of developmental progress report - it just might not be at 2 years old.

I wait to be shot down in flames :ph34r:

• Like 1

The advice we are being given by our LA is that the HV 2 year health check is not something that replaces the EYFS 2 year check and even if a child has had a 2 year check by the HV we should still do the EYFS 2 year check :blink: - the rationale behind this is that in some areas the HVs do not do a 2 year check at all and in those areas that they do do them they have about 15 minutes per appointment to meet and greet the parent and child, do some checks and "have a chat" about the child's development and then say goodbye. We apparently will know the child much more because they spend more time with us. My area LA and the two neighbouring area LAs have been in discussions with health and we are going to be given carbonated forms to fill out with the "desired" format no less - these forms will apparently make it easier for the HVs as they will then have reports from all settings that look the same and it will save them time working out where the salient info is. The forms apparently have been designed to fit into the red books although parents must still give permission for the copies to be sent by the settings to the HVs. I see lots of cost issues here - postage just being one of them

I was just told today that we had to do the 2yr check even if the child turns 3 next month, 'just leave it till the week he turns 3 she said!' ( eya) easy for her to say as he's only in 7 hours a week and doesnt always stay that long!speechless-smiley-040.gif

I think the paper mountain is a bit like the new EYFS, on first glance looks smaller but then you realise the boundaries have changed and they're all in there somewhere. :D

Count me in on the lottery syndicate! ;)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Guest youngrisers

more not less paperwork have spent this last week explaining the MUs and MUp forms to staff and now am on reserve lists for training for progress matters and other courses ( staff are too) seems so many of us have so many questions but are there any answers. Spent this morning explaining the two year old progress check using the Kent form from the course I attended. seems there is more time to plan, implement and execute paperwork than play with the children! think the retail industry might be a better option for employment!

think retirement might be a good option too!!!!! :angry:

Soooooo - the latest info that i have received from my SIP.......is that we must 'do' the two year old check and pass a copy to parents and 'tell' them that they should ring their HV and book a check - taking our completed form with them......

I have been told by our EY advisor that I must do it when child is 2 years 3 months.??

There is nothing in the EYFS that says this. I am supposed to be going on training with 10 examples.I intend to wait for the children all to settle first.

:blink: xD :lol: xD mine don't start 'til 2 years 6months - so that would be 'tricky'! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Neither do lots of mine Sunnyday!!Hopefully I am going to do mine on PRAMS.

I have had some new children that were really bad at sharing, no concentration at all at the start of term. A quick word with parents with ideas about the things to do at home and they have changed so much. Some had very limited speech but are now using simple sentences so this confirms my intention to wait till next term to start them.

Neither do lots of mine Sunnyday!!Hopefully I am going to do mine on PRAMS.

I have had some new children that were really bad at sharing, no concentration at all at the start of term. A quick word with parents with ideas about the things to do at home and they have changed so much. Some had very limited speech but are now using simple sentences so this confirms my intention to wait till next term to start them.

Absolutely! :1b

Interesting subject as to when to do obs and start them - for 2 year olds or any child in the setting.

Personally - my obs start the minute child and parent walk through the door - I look at attachment behaviour, body language, how the child reacts to the setting even on the first visit. From the day they start I do obs, that way its another baseline as to their starting point with you and how they have progressed through their duration with us.

I also happen to think it is good practice to do the 2 year old progress check. If children coming into the setting have never had one - I start to compile one through my observation.

• Like 1

Guest youngrisers

told tonight that we do have to do the progress check at 2 regardless of whether the child has a visit from the health visitor or not! we are using the Kent format on My unique progress and have found the codes so easy to imput on the computer. Takes no time at all to complete and put in the child's portfolio. we use the codes Entering (E) Developing (D) and secure (S) in the three prime areas on the forms. These goes out to parents 3 times a year unles the child is 3 in that year so we only do 2 then. then we transfer the data to the unqiue progress for over 3's. same codes and same format but all 7 areas are on this form. summative assessment and all based on our observations.

Interesting subject as to when to do obs and start them - for 2 year olds or any child in the setting.

Personally - my obs start the minute child and parent walk through the door - I look at attachment behaviour, body language, how the child reacts to the setting even on the first visit. From the day they start I do obs, that way its another baseline as to their starting point with you and how they have progressed through their duration with us.

I also happen to think it is good practice to do the 2 year old progress check. If children coming into the setting have never had one - I start to compile one through my observation.

Yes this is how we are trying to do all this.

told tonight that we do have to do the progress check at 2 regardless of whether the child has a visit from the health visitor or not! we are using the Kent format on My unique progress and have found the codes so easy to imput on the computer. Takes no time at all to complete and put in the child's portfolio. we use the codes Entering (E) Developing (D) and secure (S) in the three prime areas on the forms. These goes out to parents 3 times a year unles the child is 3 in that year so we only do 2 then. then we transfer the data to the unqiue progress for over 3's. same codes and same format but all 7 areas are on this form. summative assessment and all based on our observations.

I'm in Kent too, had a SIP meeting today, she said the HV's wouldn't be starting the 2 year checks until January, so no wonder none of my parents had been invited to have the 2 year check yet! This however, makes me v. cross because at a twilight meeting some time ago we were told Kent had recruited 00's of new HV's to do all this, how silly of me to assume that would start when we had to!

Yay and Woohoo! :1b

I have 'done' mine - well until the next lot that is :blink: xD :lol: xD

So how old exactly were they? I have just done one, but he will be 3 at the end of this week! Perhaps I shouldn't have done his, but felt I should as he was a new entrant with a couple of others.

Soooo.........between 32 and 36 months.......

Did I already say - I checked to see if any of mine had already had HV checks - and guess what - none......

My SIP had said that we still needed to do them anyway regardless and that I should then advise parents to share these with their HV.........not at all sure (gather this info on registration forms) that 'my' parents have any idea who their HV is :blink:

Actually they were really easy to do and I have made them really simple - used the format that I uploaded somewhere in this thread.........will wait to see what my parents think of them.......

We are doing the two year old check for all of our two year olds ( from just 2 to 3 up to Christmas for this term) and the rest of the children will have the normal termly report as we always do anyway . All children need regular summative assessments according to the revised EYFS so we may as well use the two year old check for all of the two year olds - just makes sense and no more paperwork really.

We are doing the two year old check for all of our two year olds ( from just 2 to 3 up to Christmas for this term) and the rest of the children will have the normal termly report as we always do anyway . All children need regular summative assessments according to the revised EYFS so we may as well use the two year old check for all of the two year olds - just makes sense and no more paperwork really.

this is what i was thinking to so i think we'll go this way...thanks redjayne

Absolutely :1b

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)