Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Two Year Check When To Do

Buttercup

The guidance says we have to do this two year check between 24 and 36mths. think I have worked out how I am going to record it i just need to know when is everyone going to do this.

We are a playgroup term time only. The children I be a mixture of existing children already on books some still two but most 3 so would be able to do something on existing two year olds. My dilemma is the new children some will be 2 and some 3. it will take until christmas to get them settled and really get to know them.

How and when are you going to do yours?

(think my staff will all leave when they see how much work i have for them thought it was suppose to be less)

many thanks

buttercup

• Like 1

I think it's important to get to know the child and build a relationship with their parents first. We have a couple of returning 2 year olds so these will be done first (before half term). We also have some 2 year olds starting and I will get to know them and then decide when to do the progress check.

• Like 1

I wouldn't do any three year olds existing or new......as for the two year olds start with the two's who are coming back and work your way through to the new two's....i read somewhere(it could be on here) it takes a good six weeks for the children to truely settle and be at ease in their setting so i'd say start after october half term for the children who are two.......any children who are three between september and half term have probably had there check anyway......you could start with the oldest children first and include those who had just turned three....

Sorry probably confused you more......some sane person will come along and add a perfectly straight forward answer for you :ph34r: :blink: :D

You could be waiting a while for a sane person to come along......not sure there's anyone left :P

We had a 'settling in' sheet at end of first half term, but this was very general and mostly looking at psed, but I don't think this is long enough, I'm thinking of doing a list of which children turn 2.6yrs in each half term so key workers can see that they need to be completed by end of that half term, any already past that and returning will have theirs done starting when we go back, that should also stagger the workload.

Edited by mouse63

Pre-school.

We will do any returning two yrs old (1!!!) during the first half term.

New two year olds starting- if their 3rd birthday falls before half term we will not be doing them. I think we need to know them better than just six weeks.

Others we will aim to do at around 2.6mths........ play it by ear I think.

• Like 2

alot of children who come to us is there first setting so will not have check done.

buttercup

sorry i meant with the health visiter when i said 'any children who are three between september and half term have probably had there check anyway' :)

We were told by lcc that we had to find out from parents when their 2yr check with h/v was and we needed to do ours before that date.

We have been told to liaise with the health visitors so the checks are done close together if possible.

As for the work load, we are using the same sheet as our regular summative assessments then add the views of parents and other professionals involved with the child so it shouldn't create too much extra work...I hope!

Beehive

• 2 weeks later...

Our babies move out into toddler room aged 2 - the first observation we do after this will be used for the check.

For children starting at the setting between 2 and 3 we will be using the first observation we do on them after entry.

I would like to ask - are you all expecting parents to pass on the paperwork to the health visitor or will you be posting them a copy too in case the parents one gets 'lost?'

Our babies move out into toddler room aged 2 - the first observation we do after this will be used for the check.

For children starting at the setting between 2 and 3 we will be using the first observation we do on them after entry.

I would like to ask - are you all expecting parents to pass on the paperwork to the health visitor or will you be posting them a copy too in case the parents one gets 'lost?'

As yet in our area the reports are just for parents if they wish to share with health visitor they can but they dont have to, we are not to send them to HV direct.

As i thought, My advisor has told me we still have to do check as health visitor only does health, we do development/education.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure that on our "training" session on this, we were told that if our 2 year olds had already had their HV check when they start with us, we didn't need to do the check. However, my improvement advisor yesterday told me that we DO need to do them before the children turn 3. I am worrying now, because we have just had 7 new children who will be turning 3 in Oct/Nov and who all have had their HV checks. I don't think we'll necessarily know them that well on 2 mornings a week before half term in order to do the checks.......

Does anyone know the definitive answer as to will I have to do the checks or not?

Jo

If a child goes to more than one setting, the one where he/she spends most time is the setting that should do the check.

I emailed my SIP with this question 'if we are not the lead provider will we still carry out two year old checks'? She has said 'yes you will need to'............hmmmmm can any one see the sense in that? I really can't. We would of course carry out our usual summative assessments..........

My EYFS consultant said we still had to have some documentation of how those children are doing regardless of whether they had had their 2 year check.

This isnt a problem to us as we do a termly summary anyway so won't need to do anything extra

Rachael - can I ask - do you usually involve parents in your termly summary making?

Sunnyday - we do a report in all areas of learning and send a summary of this home along with an overall summary and next steps.

There is space on this for the parent to comment and send back to us should they wish.

Parents also know they can make an appointment to see keyperson at any time through the year

Sunnyday - we do a report in all areas of learning and send a summary of this home along with an overall summary and next steps.

There is space on this for the parent to comment and send back to us should they wish.

Parents also know they can make an appointment to see keyperson at any time through the year

fab! That's exactly what we do too :1b

I'm just wondering about 'involving parents' in the two year check...........

I emailed my SIP with this question 'if we are not the lead provider will we still carry out two year old checks'? She has said 'yes you will need to'............hmmmmm can any one see the sense in that? I really can't. We would of course carry out our usual summative assessments..........

xD Right scrub that - she has now re-checked and no just one of the settings needs to complete - that makes better sense! :1b

Not exactly clear then ......We will of course offer our usual settling in meeting with parents and do our half termly summary of the child's interests and achievements - just wondered if it had to be in the "2 year check" format....

As far as I was aware there is no prescribed 2year check format and it is being left to settings to use what works best for them

Yes I think you are right Sunnyday, but Kent do have a format we can use if we choose to on their website, but from training I went on for EYFS 2012 implementation, it would appear that Kent have recruited a large number of HV's again, having made lots redundant a few years ago, to cope with doing 2 year checks, the check they will do is not like our one apparently!

We were told that parents will be sent letters inviting children to attend a 2 year check with their HV at Children's Centres, (they do not have to attend if they do not want to) it is unlikely that this will co-incide with pre-school's 2 year checks, but may if they are attending full day care nurseries. Whilst we do not have to have this information from the H.V. we should be checking that it has been carried out, if it hasn't we still do ours, but suggest to parents that they pass a copy of ours onto their HV to see and get the HV check done.

Edited by Panders

Yes I think you are right Sunnyday, but Kent do have a format we can use if we choose to on their website, but from training I went on for EYFS 2012 implementation, it would appear that Kent have recruited a large number of HV's again, having made lots redundant a few years ago, to cope with doing 2 year checks, the check they will do is not like our one apparently!

We were told that parents will be sent letters inviting children to attend a 2 year check with their HV at Children's Centres, (they do not have to attend if they do not want to) it is unlikely that this will co-incide with pre-school's 2 year checks, but may if they are attending full day care nurseries. Whilst we do not have to have this information from the H.V. we should be checking that it has been carried out, if it hasn't we still do ours, but suggest to parents that they pass a copy of ours onto their HV to see and get the HV check done.

Hi my little black and white furry friend! :1b

I have a copy of the Kent format and will use if I have to :ph34r: but in the meantime I am sending out my 'cobbled together' letter asking if 'my' children have had an HV check - if they have then I think mine will get their usual assessment in November......it's the whole 'timing' issue as much as anything else i.e. I have new starters who have come to me just before their third birthdays - now when I make any sort of assessment or in this case 'check' I want to be certain sure that it is accurate - talented as I am ;) :blink: xD I cannot possibly get to know these children and make any form of 'judgement' in just a few weeks - sorry should have explained my under threes only attend for two sessions per week which is just six hours........

Oh to win the lottery! How sad is that......not so long ago I would have been saying and it would have been sincere "even a lottery win would not make me give up pre-school" :(

Feel totally bogged down with everything really - how on earth is there less paperwork :o:(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)