Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Does Anyone Else Use Pla Policies?

klc106

It was in the first few pages I think, not got my hard copy at home, so can't help there. It's a mix of letters and numbers, so it should stand out. Like xcrfjh3456 type of thing

• 2 weeks later...

PLA policies are out now, Ofsted didn't even look at ours last year, just asked if we had them.... then couldnt be bothered to look... Regarding tweaking, please don't just use them ad lib, they are entirely geared around the PLA documentation that can be purchased, but if you don't use these, the statements will not be right... and some of the committments are not relevant for individual settings. They do save you time, however it has still taken me three 10 hour days to go through them, re word or make relevant the bits that were needed and put them on our letter headed paper.... so be warned, they are not necessarily a short cut.

:rolleyes: :blink:

PLA policies are out now, Ofsted didn't even look at ours last year, just asked if we had them.... then couldnt be bothered to look... Regarding tweaking, please don't just use them ad lib, they are entirely geared around the PLA documentation that can be purchased, but if you don't use these, the statements will not be right... and some of the committments are not relevant for individual settings. They do save you time, however it has still taken me three 10 hour days to go through them, re word or make relevant the bits that were needed and put them on our letter headed paper.... so be warned, they are not necessarily a short cut.

:rolleyes: :blink:

30 hours?! :blink:

Hi received an email on 22.8.12 to say their out. We use these as a starting point and then omit or add relevant parts unique to our setting. Then type them up on our letter headed paper, does take ages though. :(

Do you 'type' or 'cut and paste'?

I do wonder though, as someone commented the other day, that they are so detailed we could be 'shooting ourselves in the foot' as they are to go through with a fine tooth comb. If they were a bit more 'sketchy' would they be more easily followed and understood.

Also, in the missing child policy it says that as soon as we notice a child is missing we contact the police and parents, and THEN have a good look about. Now, that seems a bit panic inducing to me - knowing some of our lot who have a penchant for playing hide and seek with us I think the police would soon assume we were 'calling wolf', to say nothing of the quivering wrecks the parents would be within a term!

Here's another odd sentence under 'administering medicine' -

• As a precaution, children should not eat when travelling in vehicles.

what? I'm not sure I understand that. I can see a choking possibility, but what has it to do with administering medicines?

Here's another odd sentence under 'administering medicine' -

• As a precaution, children should not eat when travelling in vehicles.

what? I'm not sure I understand that. I can see a choking possibility, but what has it to do with administering medicines?

I 'deleted'!!!

I generally get the hard copy, pencil all over it, bits to delete etc, then give it to our administrator. Can obviously cut and paste those that are not needing tweaking. Haven't looked at new ones yet, another job on the list. :(

Oh so you don't download? :1b

Can I ask why you are all having a major overhaul? What has changed so significantly that a re write is required, all I have done is added the new requirements e.g. moblie phone policy and left the rest as they are

I read that the policies for the revised EYFS would be a new product so not sure whether we will get automatic updates which might mean we have to buy them again (and I only bought mine in June!)

i emailed them and it is a new product so need to buy it again.

It's not a major re-write, it's the annual update, but this time just checking that we're covering any new stuff. It's an annual thing really. I just wish I didn't have to print it all out every year and waste paper! I think I might just print it in draft form and at least save a bit of ink!

Can I ask why you are all having a major overhaul? What has changed so significantly that a re write is required, all I have done is added the new requirements e.g. moblie phone policy and left the rest as they are

As Cait said - annual review :1b

Yes, reviewing and updating policies takes time.

This year we intend to split the policies to be reviewed/updated and do some of them each term.

We involve the parents by asking them to take part in the process; we will introduce a 'policy of the term'.

Will let you know how successful it is...

Yes, I was wondering how we are going to involve the parents in updating the policies. As we're a committee run group, the parents on the committe will have input, or at least agree with what I suggest, but what will everyone else be doing?

As Cait said - annual review :1b

Sorry it did sound a stupid question but I don't do mine annually just when something changes and then just date it on the index when it has been changed and get staff to sign that the changes have been read

Our advisor told us to just change the date at the bottom of each of our policies when it was reviewed and sign it, then the only ones that need to be reprinted are the ones where there has actually been a change in practice.

Yes that what I usually do + print a new front cover with the new date.........however wanted a complete new start this year - PSLA policies are great as a 'base' helps me to make sure that I have 'everything' but they are incredibly long-winded.......so I've really looked at them and cut out bits that are really not so important (imo that is!) and I've reduced the font size from 11 to 9 so that's cut them down a bit too........long way to go with them yet - nowhere near finished :blink: xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)