Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Summer Reads

sunnyday

Obviously in the minority but I actually enjoyed it. I never read romance or erotica usually but it was nice piece of escapism from the end of term stresses for me and I am a sucker for a happy ending. As an aside it did prove to be a slightly unusual way of engaging some of my parents in conversation as a lot of my mums had read/ or are reading it and we have been discussing it whilst dropping off/collecting, nice to have some common ground with parents I don't always have anything in common with.

No it's a publishing house I think, like mills and boon is one.

Aga doo - can't stop singing that now! Sigh

Arn't mills and boon a bit 'racey' now too? (or were they always?)

My nan always used to be reading those- she used to carefully 'dot' the nine in the books she'd read so we knew which ones she hadn't read when we went to the library for her. On closer inspection all the M&B books has secrets markings in them :o

How funny, my Nana filled in the zero on page 10. Yes, they all seem to have markings in, that's because the are all so 'samey' just reading the blurb on the back doesn't help! Haha

Yes, I believe there is a scandalous section too!

I've just read The Girl with the dragon tattoo, brilliant, The partner by John Grishom, loads of twists and turns, One Day, David Nicholls, that made me cry and another one of his that was forgettable and an Adele Parks which promised a light-hearted fun read but failed to deliverer.

About to re-read Far form the Madding crowd for the first time in many years. :1b :1b

My daughter and her partner bought me a Kindle for Christmas and, knowing I'm a huge fan, they put on virtually all of Anne McCaffrey's books. I have had a wonderful time on my long journey to and from work this year re-reading them!

They are mostly science fiction/fantasy, so be warned if that's not your bag. I really like the 'dragon' series...

My secret vice - sci-fi and fantasy!!!!!

Sue :ph34r:

PS - I am also trying very hard to read some Dickens - I've just never been able to get on with his writing, even though I know from adaptations on tv that his tales are good!

Sue - I also like Anne McCaffrey - never yet met anyone else who's even heard of her let alone read them! I can't do Dickens either - like the stories but there are too many words in the books.

I have a pile of unread books on my mantle piece that I want to make a start on this summer - a real mixture of stuff:

Precious Bane - Mary Webb

Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell

The Swan Thieves - Elizabeth Kostova (I really liked The Historian by her)

Housekeeping - Marilynne Robinson

Plus many, many others!

Well, how do you do, Helen!!!

Likewise, my mum and sister are the only people I have ever met who have read them - but as a best-seller and recipient of every major SF award there MUST be others!!

Sue ;)

Ooh, and you aren't very far away from me, either!! Do lots of walking in beautiful Derbyshire...

Ooh, and you aren't very far away from me, either!! Do lots of walking in beautiful Derbyshire...

Maybe it's a midlands thing! ;) My Dad and Mum are who started me reading them - when I was 15. I like walking in Derbyshire too - haven't been for ages though - another summer holiday resolution to make!

When I was a teenager I spent half my life reading books. I was a constant visitor to the library and read all the Anne McCaffrey books then. I keep saying that one day I'll reread them all but haven't got round to it so far.

There's a very interesting biography of her - "A Life With Dragons" by Robin Roberts which is available for Kindle (I've got it) and one by her son, Todd McCaffrey "Dragonholder" which may or may not be available for Kindle.

Sorry we've sort of 'nearly hijacked' this thread - but some of you might like to give her a whirl!

Carol, you really must! There are more now, since her son started writing with her.

Sue

another Anne Mcaffrey fan here.. the dragon series.. and read the ones she wrote with Todd too,I am sure there is more than one .. ... the library was very good for those recently.. not found hem on kindle.. and have had some problems finding others of hers for kindle too..

I do also enjoy her Crystal singer ones.. sister sent me 2 but we cannot find the last in the trilogy..

I love Anne McCaffrey too, As a teenager I really wanted to be a dragonsinger on Pern and Dragonsinger is one of only a handful of books that I have read more than once. I'm in the west country so maybe there are a lot of closet dragon fans out there

I love Anne McCaffrey too, As a teenager I really wanted to be a dragonsinger on Pern. The Dolphins of Pern is one of only a handful of books that I have read more than once. I'm in the west country so maybe there are a lot of closet dragon fans out there

Yay!! LOTS of us :D .

Inge, yes, Todd co-wrote a few books and she gave her blessing to one he wrote alone. It would appear she has passed the torch on now, considering her death last year. :(

The Kindle thing is odd - I haven't seen them on searches, but nevertheless I have them. You might try just googling her and going for all of the hits to try to find books?

Sue

I am currently reading a biography of Fatima Whitbread! Now I have to say I am not a fan of hers but I was in the village shop and somehow the conversation got on to 'news' and the assistant said she had seen a programme about Fatima and it mentioned her new biography published this year. I had no idea that Fatima had such a terrible terrible childhood and intrigue got the better of me and I had a quick look on a 'see inside' and bought it for my kindle. By rights she shouldn't be here at all and is only because a neighbour raised the alarm when she was just months old, she had been left in her cot for days - quite depressing in parts but I am enjoying it!

Well, how do you do, Helen!!!

Likewise, my mum and sister are the only people I have ever met who have read them - but as a best-seller and recipient of every major SF award there MUST be others!!

Sue ;)

I've read some but many years ago :D

I am a kindle girl and like others have read things over the last year I would never have read if I had to let people see the book cover including 50 shades (Narnia you comment 'IS it that 'erotic' though??? Nothing there I haven't read before, and not so well written'......made me smile as there was a lot in this book I hadn't even heard of let alone read about before xD :lol: :ph34r: :ph34r: :huh: )

But I also recently read a couple of Nora Roberts new detective series set in Washington DC Sacred Sins and Brazen Virtue.....I have read all the 'In Death' series by Nora Roberts written as JD Robb all about a detective called Eve Dallas...this is set in the future 2050 approx....great series although if you are tempted do read them in order as her life story unfolds chronologically as the books progress....Naked in Death is the first and hard as it is to imagine I recently read the 32nd in the series :o

I am a bit anally retentive about reading things in strict order as written by the author and once I am grabbed I have to continue hence reading 20 or so Kay Scarpetta/Patricia Cornwell novels. 10 Alex Cross/James Patterson novels. 8 Tolliver/Adams - Karin Slaughter novels........you get the idea I am sure :P

Looking forward to having more kindle time soon.....if only there was some sunshine to go with it :(

I can recommend The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein, a lovely tale of a dog and his family. Sue, my favourite series is The Queens Blade by TC Southwell, a fabulous series of books richly written about a magical but utterly believable fantasy world of royal alliances, mercenaries, murder, intrigue and at its heart a love story.