Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Years Funding For 2012/2013

I've just received my early years funding calculation for next school year and guess what, the increment for QTS/EYP has gone down, how on earth does that work? and whats the incentive to upskill? On the plus side the basic rate has gone up so shouldn't complain really as it means I can avoid putting fees up for another year. How are the rest of you fairing for next year?

I've just received my early years funding calculation for next school year and guess what, the increment for QTS/EYP has gone down, how on earth does that work? and whats the incentive to upskill? On the plus side the basic rate has gone up so shouldn't complain really as it means I can avoid putting fees up for another year. How are the rest of you fairing for next year?

Gosh you're lot are early!- This year we had to wait until AFTER we'd signed the contracts (31th March) to find out our rate!!

Flipping 'eck, glad I don't live where you are narnia and cait! Mine works out at £4.22 per hour and this time includes 5p per hour for any maintenance work I need to do

Edited by max321

Gosh you're lot are early!- This year we had to wait until AFTER we'd signed the contracts (31th March) to find out our rate!!

So how do you register any changes to the funding formula if you've already signed?

So....

£4.22 in one part of country..

and

£2.38 in another!!

Minimum wage the same, resources same, food- more or less the same - are rent/rates that much different?

(we're slap bang in middle!)

from narnias post its 11p difference for being in the next county, 13 miles apart. ridiculous

Edited by max321

We get base rate of £3.11 and our supplement for EYP has now been taken away and the money split on the quality supplement and the deprivation supplement. Both supplements are divided into Good or Outstanding depending on what you are either by Ofsted or the Borough's Quality Assurance rating. Our Borough will not be funding Satisfactory groups after 2014. The supplements are roughly 30p or 40p per child per hour.

It seems to get more complicated as it goes on. !!! They took the EYP supplement out because in the new EYFS it has changed the it talks about it.

Steph

We are in the south so out goings are quite high. I pay £15.25 per hour for rent.

We are in the south so out goings are quite high. I pay £15.25 per hour for rent.

Crikey Steph, what are you renting?? We are in a modern church hall, small kitchenette for our use, purpose built toilets for the little uns, very good storage and all for £16 per session ( 5 hrs) !! We wouldnt be able to operate with that kind of overhead. We are in the Midlands.

Hope our landlords dont read this forum!! Think I need to smile at them a bit more ....... : )

Crikey Steph, what are you renting?? We are in a modern church hall, small kitchenette for our use, purpose built toilets for the little uns, very good storage and all for £16 per session ( 5 hrs) !! We wouldnt be able to operate with that kind of overhead. We are in the Midlands.

Hope our landlords dont read this forum!! Think I need to smile at them a bit more ....... : )

We pay £30 for a morning session - skanky old scout hall........ with FOUL toilets!!!!

xx

also, no eyp/QTS payment, no outstanding premium, no rise this year at all.........

belts to be tightened again!!

And the FNEP? Works out as £4.00 per hr here.......

Edited by eyfs1966

This is an extract from the statutory guidance for local authorities on the delivery of free early education for three and four year olds and securing sufficient childcare which comes into effect in September 2012:

"Issue all providers with an indicative budget at the beginning of the financial year which broadly reflects anticipated participation. Local authorities must also adjust budgets to reflect actual levels of participation within the financial year, across all sectors."

It goes on:

"Local authorities should: Ensure that their EYSFF is clear, simple and transparent, and in particular that:

rates are based, as far as is practicable, on a clear understanding of provider costs in the area."

I am asking my local authority to tell me how they intend to supply me with the said indicative budget and how they as a local authority can demonstrate to me that they have an understanding of current provider costs in the area on which to base their rates.

A quick straw poll using my local children's information database for parents would suggest that most providers are charging £4.50+ per hour for unfunded hours which would suggest that these are the true(ish) current provider costs in my area - this is somewhat more than the local authority pays per hour for funded hours. I am at a meeting on Thursday this week in which I will expect answers - this worm is starting to turn and as my staff team keep telling me I will have no friends at the local authority - Bovvered !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xD :lol: xD :lol:

• Like 2

Hi Sue

Fantastic - well done you! :1b

I think that we all knew that the day would come when we would not be able to 'carry on' without a 'sensible' level of funding..........

Just out of interest my non-funded hours are charged at £4.50

Hi Sunnyday - you've hit the nail on the head in respect of sensible funding levels. I am still waiting to hear from Michael Gove and Ian Duncan Smith ref funding levels and how we are meant to pay pensions too. I have had a letter from my MP who had advised both ministers he wants to see their response which apparently means that my letters should get looked at so some very slight progress. David Cameron's office thanked me for my concerns - I suspect that this is shorthand for some kind of expletive that I daren't put on here :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: . One of my contacts has forwarded my letters on to TACTYC but I have heard nothing from them. However with all the time off that I shall have over the summer holidays :blink: :blink: :blink: I plan to devote some of it stirring up a bit more trouble. I am a member of the PSLA so I think I shall be rattling their cage soon - unfortunately I don't really believe that their teeth are that sharp as they walk the fence between supporting providers and ensuring that parents are supported - increasing fees is not really something that I think sits comfortably with them as they know the impact that this will have on children being able to access early years provision.

However every revolution begins with a single act of defiance and perhaps the time has come to stop putting up and shutting up or else it will be putting up and shutting up quite literally as in shutting up the shop.

• Like 3

we pay £70 per morning here in London!!!!!! Thats for 3 1/2 hrs, so £20 per hr. Top that anyone??

Arhh eyfs1966.....buts i 'ear tose streets of London are paved wiv gold ? ares they not.......?

• Like 1

I am a member of the PSLA so I think I shall be rattling their cage soon - unfortunately I don't really believe that their teeth are that sharp as they walk the fence between supporting providers and ensuring that parents are supported - increasing fees is not really something that I think sits comfortably with them as they know the impact that this will have on children being able to access early years provision.

However every revolution begins with a single act of defiance and perhaps the time has come to stop putting up and shutting up or else it will be putting up and shutting up quite literally as in shutting up the shop.

I think you might be surprised by the suuport you would get from the PLA. When the single funding formula first came about I was part of a committee our LA consulted with. We convinced the LA that if they wanted to understand costs locally they would need to survey providers but if the LA did the survey and some interviews with settings they wouldn't get reliable answers so the PLA was commissioned - okay so they were paid by LA to do this piece of work (two others put in for it and PLA was middle bid) but I am certain that it is because of the work they did that we in Kent (almost) get a realistic hourly base rate. ...now two year old funding at £4.85 per hour when we need twice as many staff for them as for 3-4 year olds is another matter and I for one won't be taking more than I have or want to... Give the PLA a go!!

How can it be that the Government keep demanding More of us and yet ontinually reduce our worth?.? They give with one hand...the carrot ..increased funding for 'good behaviour' then take it away whilst we're busy sifting through all the new initiatives, paperwork and

statutory 'do this, do thats, do not pass go, do not collect £200 etc etcs!! We all need to be as pro-active as you SueJ !!

If you run for office......count me in!!

• 1 month later...

I'm on our Borough's committee for the pre-school formula and also on the School's forum where the amount is discussed and ok'd by all the schools. Don't if people realise it is the schools forum who ok the formula and the amounts. A schools forum is head of local schools and governors. From this september all schools forum minutes of meetings will be available for the public to see, as before it was a closed meeting. If you find out when your next schools forum meeting is as "the public" you are allowed to go and listen to the discussions.

Let me know if any one goes and what other LA's are doing!!

I'm on our Borough's committee for the pre-school formula and also on the School's forum where the amount is discussed and ok'd by all the schools. Don't if people realise it is the schools forum who ok the formula and the amounts. A schools forum is head of local schools and governors. From this september all schools forum minutes of meetings will be available for the public to see, as before it was a closed meeting. If you find out when your next schools forum meeting is as "the public" you are allowed to go and listen to the discussions.

Let me know if any one goes and what other LA's are doing!!

Thanks for the info. I didn't know how it was decided..........

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)