Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Is My Planning Okay?

Hi all, I just wanted to get your opinions about my planning. I work in a 78 part time school based nursery. Do you think this planning is okay? I would welcome any replies 'nice' or 'not so nice'. Thanks everyone :rolleyes: (I hope I've attached them correctly!!)

Foundation Stage at a glance.docWeekly Foundation stage planningFoundation Phase ONE TO USE.doc

• Like 1

Hello Lyndis

I don't think I'll be much help as I work in a day nursery rather than a school, but your planning looks detailed and age appropriate to me. Is there room for responding to children's interests? I'm sure someone will be able to comment who works in a similar type of setting.

Beehive

Looks good to me - I liked the first sheet.

I'm pre-school so keep ours very simple*. Although I did notice your age bands of 22-36mths- so I quess your are with quite young ones too.

* I have issues with to detailed for pre-schools.... as we do not seem to get the same finacial respect as in maintained schools!!! :D ::1a :D ::1a :D ::1a

• Like 1

Looks good, but i wonder weather it needs to be quite so detailed - mine certainly isn't! If it works for you and other staff/adults can follow it then it is fine but if the same can be achieved with less work then I would go for the less work!

Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes Beehive there is room for children's interests especially in the continuous provision (that was just a sample of resources that they may choose for those areas and the evaluations inform the next week's planning from whatever the children have done, said, displayed etc...

Thanks Louby Loo, we have three intakes per year so we need to cater for younger ones too and we use aspects of the High Scope approach as you can see from the planned family group times which vary from basket activities to individual whiteboard activities etc...

I was thinking how I could make it simpler especially the continuous provision part as we do have continuous provision A4 posters displayed for each area detailing the development matters and themes/principles links!! I suppose I could just have the evaluation section and not each area but I wanted us to be able to record what the children have chosen for each area.

Any ideas??? Thanks :1b

Your planning is very detailed Lydis and you all seem to be verrry busy! I have downloaded to share with my setting as Im surprised at the amount you try to achieve! Your weekly planning resembles our medium term plan ....ha ha.

Is it this structured because you are school based? Am interested in your Family Groups how does this work? How many FGs do you have and do all the groups do the activity at the same time? Interesting. Oh sorry couldnt begin to give you ideas for your continous provision...our planning is quite basic....on a need to know basis!! . be interested to hear others thoughts tho! :)

....on a need to know basis!! .

Love it! ..................

As I said to our ofsted inspector - why write out a statement, when I can put a page no? The EYFS book is readily availablee- and I trust my staff to know their stuff!

she was a bit speechless- but she did agree.

Sorry lyndis- hijacked the thread there ;)

Hi Rafa, there are 3 family groups and they are done at the same time though they may have different activities. Then its free flow time so there is 1 focus and 2 staff are playing, observing the children using the areas etc... We use aspects of the High Scope approach so we have family time.

It works well for our children, staff and setting although I am looking to 'tweak' it a little :)

• Like 1

Hi Lyndis very interesting to see how other settings deliver the Eyfs. You all seem extremely busy although you show free time/choosing within your planning. Your family time sounds very similar to our sharing time, although each keyperson with their keychildren would choose which activity to do and then evaluate outcomes, next steps. I do like the planning to be quite fluid, to enable each child to let their play take it where they want it to go. I feel these give the best observations of a child's skills, prior knowledge and can help plan for their individual learning styles and interests. Just my thoughts:)

Hi Lyndis. I haven't downloaded it as I'm just on the iPad, but reading the comments above it sounds as if you are putting a lot of detailed work into your planning, I'm trying not to spend a long time planning any more, each child has a sheet with their next steps on and I'm familiar with the needs of my key group. I have a broad idea of things that I will introduce into their activities, such as this coming week we're going to make some paper aeroplanes, helicopters and parachutes. That's only planned very loosely, because come Monday they might start running with something different of their own. Too many times in the past I have spent weeks planning things, writing up all the development statements etc and then had a bunch of children who would rather do something entirely different.

Thanks all as I said I am attempting to make it less and I think I may have now as I have been 'tinkering' with it again'. If the children aren't interested then things can be changed. I might attach my next attempts later on!! Thank you all, you are all so very helpful :1b

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)