Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Allegation Made Against Me

Hi

Well i received a phone call this evening (i don't work friday's) to say could i come into work tommorow because they needed to discuss an allegation with me.

I asked if we could meet this evening as i am a worrier and being 5 months pregnant the last thing i need is to worry myself over the unknown, so we did meet tonight, but to be honest it was a waste of time. All i have been able to do is find out that a child has made an allegation about me to his/her parent and the parent informed nursery. Per procedure i can't know more, i have been given a copy of the procedure.

I would have been suspended but i am on annual leave next week anyway. Due to the jubilee the nursery can't speak to the LADO or ofsted till wednesday or to the other staff in the room (three of them), so i have been asked if i will be free wednesday (some holiday next week will be hey!), but i would rather get it sorted sooner rather than later.

I have no idea what this is about, all i know is that i have not mistreated a child, or acted in any way inappropriatly to any child, which i guess is why i am baffled.

Now the nursery that i work in has CCTV in the rooms and the owner said that she has reviewed the CCTV and she thinks that everything will be okay (not sure if she should have told me this or not?). I can honestly say i am so relived that CCTV is in the room. i know i have nothing to hide but it does not remove the anxiety i feel. i feel physically sick.

It has also made me really question how vulnerable we are as staff..... I mean, thank god we have CCTV in nursery, but what if the child alledged something had happened in an area where there was no CCTV (ie bathroom), would it become my word against the child?, in this case how is that dealt with..... anyhow, as far as i know the child has not alledged that anything occured in the bathroom (as the owner said she reviewed CCTV, and she couldn't have done that had it have been an allegation about toileting time). had the nursery / parent have felt a crime had been commited they would have had to go to police etc and heaven forbid if our little boy had been born my ability as a parent could have been called into question...... it just scares me and has made me think do i want to have a threat over my head that a child could make an allegation and that i could be investigated and worse still if my child had been born i could have been investigated as a parent too (hope that makes sense?)

I am police checked, i am professional and above all i would never ever mis treat a child..... I am just at an absolute loss and don't know how i will cope over the next few days.

i feel so shattered, and broken and at a loss... I have a passion for caring for children and have been doing it for 13 years now, and then this happens

Dawn

Oh Dawn my heart goes out to you. It is inexplicable that a child has made an allegation against you, and yet you know that we have a duty to listen to children and take what they say seriously and so you understand that there is a procedure to go through which must be allowed to take its course.

It does bring it home very vividly that we are very vulnerable as practitioners sometimes, and as you say, having CCTV in your rooms will be invaluable during the investigation. Are you a member of a union? I never was, but when a parent complained about me to Ofsted, I really wished I had their backing.

These must be very difficult days for you indeed: I can't imagine how you must be feeling, but all I can do is send you is the hugest hug and my hopes that it will all be resolved soon.

Take care, and feel free to come back here and vent if you need to.

Oh Dawn, so sorry to read such a distressing post. I have no advice to give only my sympathys. This is every childcare workers worst nightmare and I hope all will be resolved on Wednesday. As you know you have done no wrong please try to stay calm.....children do say very "off the wall" things at times. We had a little girl construct a tale about some peers, her parents did question wether this incident had happened ( as you would) and it most definately had not butwe were quite alarmed that an allegation against our care could so quickly and easily be brought about!! Thankfully the parents realised this was just a tale and I hope your situation is resolved similarly.

Thinking of you.

What a horrible situation to be in.

I'm sure your manager will be fair and help and advise you, but make sure you write down, or get someone else to write down, everything that's discussed on Wednesday, so you can re-read it and get to grips with all that was said, it will also give you the chance to formulate any questions you might have about the next steps.

Saying try not to worry is probably pointless but be careful of your blood pressure and try your best to relax over the next few days. Fingers crossed this is easily explained and things are back to normal as soon as possible.

Oh Dawn you poor thing. When I was teaching, a colleague went through a similar thing. An older sibling accused a member of staff of manhandling their younger sister in reception on the walk back from the swimming pool to the school bus. What actually happened was that the teacher in question had to grab the child because she was about to run in front of a car and she was actually stopping the child from being run over. Slightly different situation but quite awful, in the end she was interviewed by social services and completely cleared.

My biggest piece of advice to you as chairperson is to read the disciplinary and complaints procedure with a fine tooth comb, know your rights.Whilst I am always fair we take any allegation by staff, parent or child very seriously, indeed as we should, so if there is any element of doubt I would take the firmest line. I know our staff are entitled to bring another person along with them to any such meeting. If you are able to I sugget you do - sometimes havng an extra pair of ears there and the extra suport can be invaluable.

Take care and try to stay calm, although I know thats easier said than done. Remember we are all here for you.

Huge hugs

Kx

Thanks so much everyone,

Needless to say i had a rubbish nights sleep and still feel pretty crap today. I am not part of a union but so wish i was.

I have not been given the disciplinary / complaints procedure yet, as they have not investigated it yet, but i am sure they will give me the paperwork needed when the time comes, since of course they need to investigate it.

The thing is it is a new nursery, i have been there a little over 6 months so don't known any of the staff well enough that i would feel comfortable them sitting in with me, i know i can't normally have someone not connected to the nursery involved due to confidentiality.

The manager and owner were fine with me last night and i feel that they whole heartidly believe nothing will come from this allegation (as i know i have done nothing), but i appreciate the process they need to go through. I keep telling myself i can officially go on maternity leave in 9 weeks if i feel i need to.... (the thinng is 9 weeks is still a long time, i don't want this stress (no one wants stress) but again i see why they have to do it.

The biggest shock to me was how vulnerable i now feel as a childcare practitioner and i wonder if i am ever going to be able to not feel vulnerable now - especially if i go back and work with the child who made the alleagtion...... (I just can't understand why a child would 'make something up', but then again maybe it is the child's interpritation (wrong one) of something that did happen.... oh i don't know......

i just hope the cctv helps me out in this.

Dawn

If you dont feel able to have one of the staff present have you got a development worker who could come and take notes for you or an advisor? Someone unconnected with the nursery might be a good thing, I remember the PLA would offer to send someone. It's quite understandable that you feel vulnerable, I think we all would and do at times.

Children can often say something quite innocent and as adults we can misinterpret it, I'll bet you've heard a comment from a child in the past that at first hearing made you 'start', but it turned out to be nothing. I'm sure the management will be able to change how you work so that you dont have to have contact with this child and family for a while at least.

I really feel for you,

Oh u poor thing. My heart really does go out to you. We are all very vunerable in the industry of childcare, its so sad we as practitioners need cctv to prove our innocence.

Try to stay positive - you know you have done nothing wrong & there is cctv evidence. There is nothing more you can do until Ofsted and the social care team have been contacted by the nursery. Just sit tight and try to get through the weekend.

Take care

K

• Like 1

My heart goes out to you. Your priority must be you and your baby. However ghastly alleged incidents are, I'm sure through your policies and procedure systems that will kick in it will be resolved quickly for you all. Do try to find someone you can take with you even just to make notes, great advice to contact your EY Advisor for support and guidance. Take care xxxxx

Just wanted to say - completely agree with bth Fredbear and Rea - i really feel you need someone to go along with you to all meetings, including anthing that happens Wednesday, definately worth trying to contact your EY advisor for advice and support. As long as your nursery handles this correctly it should all hopefully be resolved rather quickly.

Take care

Kxx

I don't even know who my EY advisor is, i assume nursery would know?, is it normally there role to come in and support someone, or is it a case of if your not in a union then tough!

Yes the nursery would know, EY advisors are there to support all members of staff and in my setting we have used their support extensively. Although this varies from county to county, we are lucky in Essex in the fact that we have a strong EY team, I know not areas are so lucky. Are you or your nursery members of the PLA or NDNA? If so they will also be able to offer help or guidance.

In this situation I dont think it would necessarily be appropriate to have another member of staff accompany you anyway as they may be regarded as a witness if they were in the same room as you when the allegation happened.

As Narnia said dont go into this alone!

Kxxx

PSLA lawcall might be a good idea, but I'm not sure they will help staff, just the committee. What about having a look on ACAS site, see what they suggest??? Above all, do not go alone; if you cannot find someone for Wednesday, then ask for a postponement of the meeting until you can, the committee must allow this

Thanks for your wonderful advice everyone, you really are helping to keep me sane but i can not think of any thing else and feel so physically sick and drained :-(

It is a private nursery so no comittee, it is a franchise so i am wondering if someone inpartial within the wider franchise may come in and support me and take notes.

Obviously till wednesday i do not know what is what, i assume on wednesday i will know if / how they are investigating and what they (the company) deam appropriate in terms of having someone in to support me, I have thought of joining a union but believe if you join because of an existing problem they can not support you in that (but i am not sure on this).... I don't want to go in alone, but i really fear that i may not have anyone to support me.... i guess i will have to see on Wednesday.

just a really rubbish waiting game..... I keep trying to think what may have happened on thursday but i cared for 17 children that day and i know i did nothing wrong.

Edited just to say unions won't support you with a problem that you knew about prior to joning the union ( at least this is true for voice the union)

Edited by Guest

I am sure ur so stressed at the minute! Please look after yourself over the next few days! At present there is not a lot you can do until you know what the allegation is! Once you do know write everything down, your side of the incident, people who can back you up, etc etc! Once time passes we tend to forget the key facts!

Get copies of policies with timescales so this issue isn't left to drag on and on! Keep notes and copies of any correspondence given!

On a final note sending u lots of hugs!

My heart goes out to you........ it's a horrible feeling when a complaint/allegation is made against you and, as you say, really brings home how vulnerable we are.

There's advice here http://www.online-pr...-with-children/ from a Cheshire Safeguarding Children Board on the process and procedures, including the member of staff against whom the allegation has been made. They have a 24 hour helpline and may be able to point you in the direction of someone who can come o the meeting as an independent witness.

Hope it helps!

Nona

Edited by Guest

Thanks for that link Nona.

My heart goes out to you........ it's a horrible feeling when a complaint/allegation is made against you and, as you say, really brings home how vulnerable we are.

There's advice here http://www.online-pr...-with-children/ from a Cheshire Safeguarding Children Board on the process and procedures, including the member of staff against whom the allegation has been made. They have a 24 hour helpline and may be able to point you in the direction of someone who can come o the meeting as an independent witness.

Hope it helps!

Nona

Yes there were three staff working with me, however none of those staff are normally regular staff in the room, one was a supply member of staff. Thursdays are hectic and i am well aware that occasionally some things may seem rushed (more so when not working with my regular staff team) and the combination of children means i some times need to be firm (few children in this session that kick, bite and do not sit down at key times ie lunch) so use my voice tone to indicate disatisfaction with a behaviour and occasionally ask a child to sit with me if they can not stop hurting their friends. The manager knows of these children's behaviour and knows how i have been dealing with it, and so far it has never been called into question. I have never, nor would ever restrain a child unless it was to protect their own safety or part of an agreed behavioural managment plan. I have sat a child down to lunch and repeatidly returned him to the table when he got up but again never with force. ( this is The only incident i can think of that happened on thursday, but until wednesday i will not know.

I know i have done nothing wrong, i just hope i can prove that.

Dawn keep reminding yourself that you have done nothing wrong, the CCTV footage will back this up and presumably there were other staff members working with you..........x

Edited by Guest

Just wanted to add my sympathies, can't imagine how you must be feeling at the moment. I had to deal with a similar incident some time ago with a member of staff and all I can say is procedures have to be followed from the nurseries point of view so please don't think that it is an indication one way or the other. You know that you have acted appropriately so just put faith in the systems and again make sure you have someone with you, as long as this person doesn't contribute you should be able to have anyone present. Will be thinking of you x

Thank you everyone for your amazing support, advice and encouragment...... Husband is distracting me fom stressing out by letting me watch endless episodes of 24, eat dominos and ben and jerrys ice cream. I need to just try and forget about it till wednesdy, the stress wont be good for baby x

Just a thought, and I could be wrong, but I thought you HAD to be told what the complaint was, so you can prepare your argument against it? I had a quick look on ACAS and that does seem to be the case, but not sure if it extends to your particular case. here is a link and point 9 is the one I am referring to: http://www.acas.org.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=1041 Hope it helps a bit. Jack Bauer would have had this resolved in 24 hours !

HI,

i think with it being an allegation i am only allowed to know that an allegation has been made at this stage, and even now i am not sure i am meant to know this (the information i found re the lado etc said that the nursery should not tell the staff till they had the okay from the lado (but my nursery have not spoke to the lado yet), I can see why they have told me, but then again it has caused me more stress during my time off that i would have prefered to be phoned on wednesday over this when they had more information.

I wonder if anyone knows legally whether because if i wasn't on annual leave they would have suspended me on full pay could i ask to retract my annual leave and take the suspension... meaning that i would have my annual leave at a later day when i can enjoy it without stressing over the situation. (i need to be available from wednesday for the nursery investigation/ meetings etc so can't make annual leave plans anyway!)

since i am not with a union i have spoke with the nursery owner this weekend and asked that going forwards any meetings i have i have a collegue in with me, she said this was fine.

I have been wondering though, what if there was no cctv in the room and a child made an allegation, is it a case of guilty because accused or would they need to prove guilt?, i know i am not guilty of anything, but was just wondering worst case scenario what they would do.... would they look at your employment record, character etc, age of child, any eveidence if there was any before formulating an opinion..... i guess i am thinking this because i now feel vulnerable and wonder how open we all are to false accusations and how they can be dealt with..... guess just thinking aloud

Dawn

Just a thought, and I could be wrong, but I thought you HAD to be told what the complaint was, so you can prepare your argument against it? I had a quick look on ACAS and that does seem to be the case, but not sure if it extends to your particular case. here is a link and point 9 is the one I am referring to: http://www.acas.org....er.ashx?id=1041 Hope it helps a bit. Jack Bauer would have had this resolved in 24 hours !

What a stressful time for you.

I would advise you to keep a very detailed log of times and dates when things are done/said, if you haven't already. If there is an issue re protocols you want to have your events in order and it is really easy to forget, especially when you are distressed by the events.

Remember suspension in itself is not a disciplinary act - it is just part of the process. I do think however, the more I think about it, you can't be suspended and on leave at the same time.

Cx

Hi Dawn,

I really feel for you. I have been working alongside colleagues before when allegations have been made. It comes as a complete shock...how can we be made to feel so vulnerable! I know you haven't been working in your current work place for a long time, but you have 13years experience so don't let the 6months make you feel more vulnerable. You must always remember you are not alone, this happens all the time to innocent practitioners.

You must stay positive, 'innocent until proven guilty' is what I always say. You are lucky that there is CCTV in your setting. As we live in a unfortunate time where no-one trusts the next person, things like CCTV in the workplace are a neccessity.

I know this is very stressful but I honestly feel such experiences will make you a better professional. This situation should be resolved quickly given your management team approach it correctly, contacting LADO asap and ofsted. Lawcall are very helpful but they will only speak to the nursery manager/account holder but in any case, the manager can then communicate back to you.

Try to relax until Wednesday, you know you have done nothing wrong, and at the end of the day 'the camera can't lie'.

Best wishes

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)