Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Number 5 , Number Formation

ok wise ones,I am completely flummoxed , having found a fab leaflet which i can adapt for my preschool parents , it is includes formation for number writing , having checked it , the formation patern for the number 5 is start with straight line down follow round an then lift pencil from paper to put on its hat - line across the top.

I don't remember being taught this way nor my cvhildren and i have not done this with children i have helped, I am now worrying i have been doing wrong all this time . OH says it's to stop bad habits but he does not do it that way,I am going to ask the Reception teacher but wanted to get your thoughts and comments :wub:

Guest ShelleyT

I am a Reception teacher and that is EXACTLY what I teach for formation of number 5. Down first, then around and then put the hat on the top. Otherwise the children simply write an s, and the corner at the top doesn't look right!

Lashes, I don't think you will have damaged any children for life, so don't have any sleepless nights. I was taught when doing my teacher training to always get the children to form 5 in two strokes as you describe. It is so it looks different to an 's' as it is easy to make it too round on the top 'corner' if done the other way. I am sure, however, that we have all cheated when we have been trying to write quickly!!

I'm a Reception teacher and we have been practicing 5 this week, I was getting them to put the hat on afterwards as you described (I remember being taught this in Reception myself!), but saw that my TA was doing it in one motion as that was the way she had been taught, so we had to stop and decide which way we were going to do it! So I think the most important thing is consistency in your setting.

Rosie

• Like 1

Thankyou wise ones - i shall make sure that i teach the correct way and it also means that i have to tell the OH he is right :o

i will upload the leaflet - maybe you could let me know your thoughts please - not sure how to upload so when i figured it out ......

ah maybe that's why finsleys maid , I am a LEFT hander but so is my OH but neither of my children but having practiced it , dont think it makes that much difference although i turn paper to write not my hand

That's the way I always do it and always teach. I find that some people do a kind of zigzag to make the hat, and that results in something that could be confused for a three. Particularly annoying if you're trying to read a phone number in an emergency!

Thanks for sharing lashes2508. if its ok i will adapt slightly and give to the parents. i will also add the number songs that we sing with the children about how to write the numbers.

Sue J

Thanks for sharing lashes2508. if its ok i will adapt slightly and give to the parents. i will also add the number songs that we sing with the children about how to write the numbers.

Sue J

ooo....you have a song about writing numbers ???.... :D

Thanks Sue - do you sing it a particular tune?

I found these number rhymes last year - I had them just as cards the powerpoint is new! It really helped some of children remember them though and if someone was stuck I just had to start saying the rhyme and they finished and remembered the formation.

http://www.communica...uk/HomePage.htm

It won't link directly to the right page but all you need to do is select numeracy from the left and the number formation powerpoint is at the top.

Edited by HelenD26

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)