Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Key Person Title

Jackie A.

In our setting, we have always used the term "Key Worker" and have never really given much thought to the actual wording. However I have been told recently by an EY advisor that we should be using "Key Person". The new framework also refers to the term "Key Person".

Is there a right or wrong answer? Is it just somehow a sexism issue as the word 'person' is often used when one is unsure of male or female? It just seems more impersonal?

I'm only asking as I am compiling my report format (I'm a Nursery teacher in a large primary school) and our Head has questioned me as she feels uncomfortable with the term "Key Person". Just want to get it right.

Thanks.

I was told it was differentiated because "key worker" tends to refer to an individual in a multi-disciplinary team who takes on the key role in liaising between the family and the other team members, often a social worker. We had to review all our paperwork to change to key person in 2008 in order to fit with the EYFS and it did take some getting used to but now it is more natural to us.

I think the term 'key worker' in the early years context used to refer to the person who collated all the observations and paperwork side of things, and as holly says, in a multi-agency team working scenario, the key worker is the person who does all the co-ordinating and so on.

The first time I heard the word 'key person' was in the book by Dorothy Selleck, Peter Elfer and Eleanor Goldschmeid. They used it to denote a more personal relationship: not just about the admin side but to built close and secure relationships with their key children and their families.

I prefer key person, but it does give me problems in the plural. Is it 'key persons' or 'key people'? :blink:

We set PRAMS up to use the term key person, as that does seem to be the accepted term these days, but I know what you mean - it does sound a little awkward doesn't it. I think Key Dude would sound much cooler - I'd want to be a key dude!

• Like 3

Why has it only just occurred to me that this might refer to the person who looks after the setting's keys? :ph34r: You'll always be our key dude, Steve.

What is in a name - why can we just call staff by their name - our key people are everyone - everyone observes everyone takes note of achievements, had a hectic day blaa

I went on a training course by Dorothy Selleck sometime ago now. It is indeed the keyworker denotes the administration, the keyperson will be the baby/ child's main attachment within your setting. She talked a lot about early attachment theory and the impact this may have on a young baby/ child in their future years.

• Like 1

thanks Cait and Maz - that's official then. My title (which I'll wear proudly) is under my avatar!

(sorry fredbear and whatamess, for the interruption)

(Sorry, over my avatar...)

What is in a name - why can we just call staff by their name - our key people are everyone - everyone observes everyone takes note of achievements, had a hectic day blaa

And in our setting..... but who do the children run to when they are upset, sad, pleased, what to show off a piece of work? That special person when mum or dad aren't there - their Key Person.

I have one little boy with EAL who always calls me Mummy (but his mother is mumma) and there is a clear distinction between the two words, (and relationships!), parents are happy with this and while I do remind him of my name, I won't make an issue of this - he is two years old and needs a mummy 'substitute' which is what I think I am as his Key Person.

• Like 1

I went on a training course by Dorothy Selleck sometime ago now.

I thought she was awesome, so inspiring and she spoke so much common sense. Would recommend anyone get to listen to her speak if they can.

he is two years old and needs a mummy 'substitute' which is what I think I am as his Key Person.

I think this is the key difference, if you'll pardon the pun. :1b

We set PRAMS up to use the term key person, as that does seem to be the accepted term these days, but I know what you mean - it does sound a little awkward doesn't it. I think Key Dude would sound much cooler - I'd want to be a key dude!

Steve, that is such a 'sad dad' thing to say! It's not 'Wayne's World' you know!

pw x

thanks Cait and Maz - that's official then. My title (which I'll wear proudly) is under my avatar!

(sorry fredbear and whatamess, for the interruption)

(Sorry, over my avatar...)

Stop now!

Although given the anagram is Yuk Deed (and we've had a number of those in my setting!) maybe it's ok

pw x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)