Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Style?

I had to make lots of changes to our SEF when they altered it last time, I have just updated it and am expecting an inspection soon so I will ask the nice man/lady and see if they know :-)

Carol

I just have a feeling especially with the new style inspections. I too got caught out like that last time.

Any inside info greatly received

many thanks

• 2 months later...

Has anyone heard any more about this? The SEF is on my 'to do' list (and has been for a year!!) I would be extremely grumpy to do it now, only for them to change it, but it will be 4 years since our last inspection in the autumn term, so I really do need to tackle it soon!

• Like 1

Has anyone heard any more about this? The SEF is on my 'to do' list (and has been for a year!!) I would be extremely grumpy to do it now, only for them to change it, but it will be 4 years since our last inspection in the autumn term, so I really do need to tackle it soon!

Oh good point.......no I haven't heard anymore.......hmmmm - mine needs an update .......would hate to spend time doing it if it is about to change :ph34r:

I also was told by my Advisory Teacher that the SEF was changing in line with the new EYFS in September and would be more 'user friendly' so I am leaving off doing it until the new one is live - never did complete the old one !

• Like 2

Ofsted inspectors are receiving training in July/August for the revised EYFS and new inspection framework. New inspections will start on September 3rd :1b

We were told at our managers briefing today that in ofsted's words it will be 'chaotic' to begin with as they cut and paste our exsiting sef into the new version as most of it will be very different headings!

Had a briefing from our LA last night with Ofsted updates!!!!!!!!!!

New SEF format (more streamlined apparantly) early 2013 - allegedly the contents from existing SEF will be transferred by Ofsted but will need editing after the transfer

Ofsted inspections will be on a 47 month cycle (good or outstanding) apparantly they haven't decided on the exact cycle for satisfactory settings but probably 18 months to 2 years

Ofsted inspections will last between 3+ hours to 6+ hours depending on setting size

The registered person must have a working knowledge of the EYFS in order to ensure that the nominated person/manager in charge of the setting is delivering it appropriately (don't know how this will impact committe groups where the registered person is often a lay person)

The manager/registered person will have a 1 hour interview with the inspector at the beginning of the inspection covering ratios, policies etc.

The manager/registered person will have the opportunity to join the inspector in a "joint observation" lasting about 45 minutes - our LA say this is not compulsory but would recommend it as it is your chance to make sure that the inspector "sees and understands from your perspective what they are seeing"

Complaints made against a setting to Ofsted will trigger a full inspection if Ofsted consider the complaint warrants it

During the inspection the inspector will use "Ofstedspeak" and talk about what they are seeing in terms of "oh this is good" or "oh this is outstanding" to give you a flavour of the likely outcome

Feedback at the end as usual

Providers will not have conditions imposed on their registration and they are currently being removed - providers must justify their operating decisions and how they meet statutory regulations e.g, if you want to have 15 babies and you staff it appropriately and have the square meterage to do so ofsted will not say you can only have 6 babies

Childminders will have to have (I think it was said) a level 3 qualification in place before registration will be granted

Chilminders with assistants will not be able to leave their assistants alone for a period exceeding 2 hours - if they do then the assistant must also have (I think it was said) a level 3 qualification

Thats what I can remember off the top of my head - the briefing notes we were given have been taken by my deputy to digest over the weekend as she lives in fear that I won't be in when an inspector calls xD :lol: xD

Given that the registered/nominated person needs to meet with the inspector at the beginning of the inspection it is a bit rich to keep insisting on no notice inspections - it will also mean taking someone out of ratios (unless you are supernumerary) - allegedly Ofsted will sympathetic - that'll be a first.

As someone who had their last inspection in December 2008 I suspect that we will be in the first wave of hits - Oh Joy - Oh Bliss - :blink: :blink: :blink:

• Like 1

Had a briefing from our LA last night with Ofsted updates!!!!!!!!!!

Sue could I ask where you are, your Local Authority appear to be very helpful in providing so much useful information I only wish mine would do the same. Its just not necessary to keep us in the dark why can't they drop us an email cos I'm guessing if yours have been informed by Ofsted then ours are likely to have been told the same.

More importantly, thank you very much for passing this on - I do appreciate it.

• Like 2

Thanks Sue really imformative, I am on implementing eyfs on 3rd will ask about new style inspections then unless (thinking aloud here) there might be some training on our online (Kent)

Thanks Sue really imformative, I am on implementing eyfs on 3rd will ask about new style inspections then unless (thinking aloud here) there might be some training on our online (Kent)

Had a look Sue but cant see anything on CPD online - I have my implementing EYFS next week so will ask. We had our OFSTED last year, but this month moved premises and will obviously have another one - it seems even more daunting, we received an OUTSTANDING, I just wonder if we can maintain it

• 2 weeks later...

went on my traiing and Ofsted have not published their new style inspections yet,

our trainer said it would have been useful for this training if they had

she also added when i asked that at the min their was no plans for training but maybe when it is published they will and it might be through the twighllight sessions we have

• 2 months later...
Guest youngrisers

we update our SEf every year at a training /inset meeting but found that the new format needs to add info regarding so much more how is this less paperwork and typing. feel I am doing an OFSTEd inspectors job now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)