Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

E Petition Aimed At Ringfencing Funding For Early Years

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/29123

There's a letter in the May edition of Early Years Educator concerning the above petition from Jenny Barber, Early Years Consultant and trainer in London.

The DfE Surestart Grant given to local authorities was ring fenced and thus used for the purpose in which it was intended i.e. supporting our youngest children and families, by providing quality affordable childcare, children centres, raising the quality of the workforce, narrowing the gap and early intervention. This grant has been replaced by the EIG and the ring fence has been removed. Local authorities are now not using it for the purpose to which it was intended. The government should therefore bring back the ring fencing.

Please visit the site to sign the petition if you want the government to debate the issue in parliament.

debs ...can i ask why you are in support of this petition? it seems to me that the information from the department of education makes sense (http://www.education.gov.uk/childrenandyoungpeople/earlylearningandchildcare/delivery/funding/a0070357/eig-faqs#faq1)

Our area is not welll supported by childrens centres and sure start hardly exists but more money spent on childrens mental health would be very welcome. The problem with ring fencing is that it allows very little freedom for councils to support some more unusual groups.

debs ...can i ask why you are in support of this petition? it seems to me that the information from the department of education makes sense (http://www.education...7/eig-faqs#faq1)

Our area is not welll supported by childrens centres and sure start hardly exists but more money spent on childrens mental health would be very welcome. The problem with ring fencing is that it allows very little freedom for councils to support some more unusual groups.

not all areas are using it for those things though.. not being ring fenced it can be used for any purpose , it is not audited and this

What can the Early Intervention Grant be spent on?

The Government has made clear that the most effective use of this money is for local authorities to determine.

stands out to me that it can be diverted to any area they choose..

the list of uses allows it to be used for childrens mental health amongst other things.. so why not ring fence it for that purpose ?

Edited by Inge

debs ...can i ask why you are in support of this petition? it seems to me that the information from the department of education makes sense (http://www.education...7/eig-faqs#faq1)

Of course, Finleysmaid, ask away!

As Inge has said, with the ring fencing being removed the letter in the EYE claims that 'the Early Intervention Grant is being put into main local authority budgets so it can, and is, being used to offset reductions to the Area Based Grant that local authorities received from central government and is being used for general purposes. Children are missing out as the strands of funding designated by government for them are being sidetracked to be used in other areas - for example, repairing roads and maintaining parks.'

The petition needs 100,000 signatures!

There was an article in the November issue of EYE by Purnima Tanuku of the NDNA about this non-ringfenced Early Intervention Grant (EIG). The EIG has a wide remit and is intended to ensure local authorities support children and families, from strategies to reduce teenage pregnancy to help for families with disabled children, to graduate leadership funding, funded places for 2 year olds etc. Because the money is not ringfenced however it has the potential to be spent on anything the local authority identifies as a priority, including services outside of those for children.

The government has published a spreadsheet indicating how much each LA has been given under the EIG. www.ndna.org.uk/funding-links

Just in case anybody is interested in discussing with their LA what the EIG is being or has been spent on!

Of course, Finleysmaid, ask away!

As Inge has said, with the ring fencing being removed the letter in the EYE claims that 'the Early Intervention Grant is being put into main local authority budgets so it can, and is, being used to offset reductions to the Area Based Grant that local authorities received from central government and is being used for general purposes. Children are missing out as the strands of funding designated by government for them are being sidetracked to be used in other areas - for example, repairing roads and maintaining parks.'

The petition needs 100,000 signatures!

There was an article in the November issue of EYE by Purnima Tanuku of the NDNA about this non-ringfenced Early Intervention Grant (EIG). The EIG has a wide remit and is intended to ensure local authorities support children and families, from strategies to reduce teenage pregnancy to help for families with disabled children, to graduate leadership funding, funded places for 2 year olds etc. Because the money is not ringfenced however it has the potential to be spent on anything the local authority identifies as a priority, including services outside of those for children.

The government has published a spreadsheet indicating how much each LA has been given under the EIG. www.ndna.org.uk/funding-links

Just in case anybody is interested in discussing with their LA what the EIG is being or has been spent on!

In Kent we have been very lucky and PVI settings have received money that was set aside for CCs and Sure Start.........this has been very much appreciated and has kept some very small settings such as mine 'afloat' and able to continue to support staffs CPD etc. etc. - I certainly don't want to see Early Years Budget being spent on road repairs :blink: - there still only 99 signatures so 'come on' everyone! xD

• 4 weeks later...