Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Wheels On The Bus

just wanted to share with you- on World Book day we decided to take our Thurs afternoon group out to the library-having only 6 children and 3 staff we got the bus to the library, i had phoned ahead and the very accomodating ladies were keen to welcome and told a couple of stories and rythmes with the children. We got our library card and also the children used the fancy machines to book out their choices.

The children were so delighted with the bus trip -only wish i could bottle the excitement and smiles, we sang there and back ( at one point an elderly lady joined in with us) , they all took up the back seat and were impeccably behaved and sensible , the drivers were patient and one of boys told the driver quite loudly as we alighted ' you can go now' , that caused some laughter from the other passengers.

The feedback from parents has been wonderful and makes it all worthwhile and the children can't wait to go again.

I suppose when so many children and adults rely on cars , the simple pleasure of a bus ride is forgotten especially now the price of petrol continues to rise , children under 5 go free although sadly the bus fare for 3 adults was more than expected!!

The setting had not had any outings for so many years so it's good to know we are making a difference .

Do you take your children out regularly and if so when, and where

B) :D B)

• Like 2

I've never taken my class on a 'normal' bus I don't think we would all fit but I do know that whenever we've booked a coach to take us on an official trip I think that it would be worthwhile just to drive around in one for a while. I learn so much about the children - where they live, when they go on the motorway, who they go to see, which grandparents they have where etc etc etc. They get so excited about it it's just lovely!

We're on a trading estate so can't get a bus but as all our children arrive by car, we often go for walks. Its amazing how much children enjoy standing at the recycling centre watching people sorting all their rubbish but our favourite walk is to the launderette, we walk down in the morning and take our dressing up clothes and to get it washed and then go back with the afternoon group to collect and it use the dryers. Simple pleasures are still the best

what a fab day....we have been on boats and trains with ours! we live next to a river and took my leavers on a boat trip some years ago...they don't charge for the under 5's so we only paid for the adults!! the train trip was great as we have a small line that only goes between 2 stops so we went there and back and didn't get off (we had our snack sitting at the station though!!) the best things about this one was going on the lift and watching the high speed trains go past, oh and we went past my allotment ...which led to another day out!! great fun doing these simple things but much more difficult now we have a larger number of children.

• Like 2

HI, we've taken children in the holidays on the bus and its an adventure experience they love!

But i must say ive always wanted to take a trip via all modes of public transport i.e. get the bus to the train station, train station to the airport (Birmingham) to want some of the planes take off and then come back via the same modes, one of my old settings did it when the group loved transport and it sounded fantastic!

think i may know some children that would love it!

HI, we've taken children in the holidays on the bus and its an adventure experience they love!

But i must say ive always wanted to take a trip via all modes of public transport i.e. get the bus to the train station, train station to the airport (Birmingham) to want some of the planes take off and then come back via the same modes, one of my old settings did it when the group loved transport and it sounded fantastic!

think i may know some children that would love it!

We live on Tyneside and a great day out for us is - Metro to North Shields, Bus to the Ferry across the Tyne, Fish and Chips for lunch and a play in fabulous South Shields playground, Metro into Newcastle to Look at the trains at the Station then Metro home. Last time I was caught out finding fish and chips, ending up in a proper restaurant, which blew the budget - will plan better next time. This was an especially good value trip when I had a travel pass, but not bad for a fiver.

Honey

That sounds so lovely. :1b

We have had trips to our local library,walks to our local church for Christingle,walks to the park for Sports Day, posting Mother's Day cards.

We also manage to do a larger trip once a year on a coach, normally to the Farm,Country Park,Butterfly Park.

The children love the experience of travelling on a coach, we have a lovely sing song, these simple pleasures still remain the most memorable. :1b

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences - now thats what i call 'Learning journeys'- some fab ideas too - we live semi rural and buses are ok during the day every hour , Stansted airport is 20 mins by car and the bus goes through the village so maybe thats one for next time although i think we would need all day - mmm could take some planning :P

We haven't taken the kids out in the 13 years I've been at the preschool :-( and the school nursery next door has cut down on trips too. (They used to have a day out in the summer for all the nursery children.)

So it's very exciting that we've started going on outings now! We took the children across the school field to play at nursery one afternoon and have the nursery children due to come to us soon for a picnic in our new outside area; we've taken the children out when we've got to local shops, only taking a few so they have a chance to talk about what's happening. We're planning to take them to a local church for mothers' day - if it's the nearest, that will be a walk, but if it's my parish church, it will be a bus ride - for 10 adults and 28 children...! I'll have to give the bus company a ring...

Church was next door and we often had a visit .. along with it being our safe haven for fire drills!

I was lucky enough to be in walking distance to a beach, pier and sealife centre, so had a permission slip for short notice outings, for those areas .. when we had few children and enough staff we would just pack up, notice on door and off we would go.. free entry to sealife for under 5s was a big help!

i always wanted to do a bus trip but did not get round to it..I was trying to time it with the open top bus we have along the front in summer..

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)