Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas Present Disasters!

Gezabel

I am sure we all have stories of Christmas present disasters either those we have given or received.

I thought I would start this light hearted thread just for fun following a disaster here yesterday :(

My sons have decided to buy each other toys this year xD ( yes they are now 28, 30, 32 and 33 yrs old!)

Two of them decided to club together and spend a silly amount of money on their oldest brother and bought him a super duper remote control car. They were thrilled with their purchase and arrived here with the huge box to show me. Out came the charger they had got to go with it and all the 'necessary' accessories and then came the car itself :o The box is huge almost half filled the sofa and the picture on the box certainly looked impressive.

"Wait till I show you Mum, he is just going to LOVE it, I can't wait!" and so he opened the box to reveal ..................................

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING other than cardboard packaging xD:(:(

I so wish I'd had the camera handy, never before have I seen such a facial expression of shock/horror/incredulity all at once and he was rendered utterly speechless.

He quickly gained his composure, grabbed the receipt and phoned the shop. The manager was exceedingly apologetic and said the assistant had run up the road after them but couldn't see them in the crowds.

All is well today though :wacko: back to the shop and one car sealed in a box swapped for the empty box and several extra goodies thrown in by way of further apology!

Thank goodness they were showing you now and not waiting!

That's what my other half said, they could so easily have decided not to take the lid of and we would have been none the wiser until Christmas Day.

I did question how he had not managed to realise he was carrying an empty box but it must be the heaviest empty box I have ever picked up!!

Thats so funny, how ever old they get they just seem to have little boy brains forever dont they xD

Well this year has been a repeat of last year and I should have known better.

My dad loves hyacinths and so every year I buy him a pot of bulbs at christmas. Last year I put the pot in my bedroom to keep cool and safe but one of the ferrets found it and dug everything out flicking soil all over my bedroom in the process and demolishing the bulbs. Yesterday I put a pot of hyacinths in my bedroom out of the way and....

I cant believe I've let it happen again :o

Edited by Rea

Thats so funny, how ever old they get they just seem to have little boy brains forever dont they xD

I am surprised at just how much I am looking forward to it all. The 'baby' is getting a scalextric! he was overheard saying that one of his best presents as a little boy was a scalextric so brothers have obliged!

Well this year has been a repeat of last year and I should have known better.

My dad loves hyacinths and so every year I buy him a pot of bulbs at christmas. Last year I put the pot in my bedroom to keep cool and safe but one of the ferrets found it and dug everything out flicking soil all over my bedroom in the process and demolishing the bulbs. Yesterday I put a pot of hyacinths in my bedroom out of the way and....

I cant believe I've let it happen again :o

Ha Haa!! :( sorry to laugh but that is just the sort of thing I would do!

We find my husband's 84 year old mum very hard to buy for. If she wants something she buys it herself and she can be a little 'difficult' (I'm being kind :o ) so last year we (I!) decided to do a Christmas stocking for her.... her favourite chocolates, toiletries, latest book by her favourite author, gadget to help open jars as she has arthritis in her hands, small 'one glass' bottles of her favourite wine......etc

She's far too impatient to wait for Christmas morning so the day after hubby delivered them I had phone call from her, which went like this.................

First she confessed to opening her presents early....

THEN "most of the time I think you don't like me very much but now I've opened all my lovely things and they're all so nice and so apt and so generous that I feel bad and so I've phoned to apologise for thinking nasty thoughts about you"

One year on and I'm still struggling to think of a reply xD

Oh the season of goodwill !!!!!!!!

Nona

My mother in law told me I was 'difficult to buy for' after my first birthday gift from her (6 kitchen teaspoons) I had unfortunately not been 'thrilled enough' when I opened it (hmm)

So since then she either gives me nothing, or I get her Damart freebies. (sigh)

She always complains about whatever we get her (a bunch of flowers - what a waste of money, they are only going to die) (a pot plant - who will keep it when I'm dead) (a book - when do I have time to read it - there's no room on my shelf ...) so ... well we keep trying!!

My mother-in-law gave me a truly hideous blanket one year for Christmas. I think I pulled off the pleased and grateful look, then found the blanket a good home in the dog basket when we got home. Unfortunately I forgot all about it, until our next visit to stay with mother-in-law, with the dog in tow obviously.... I think you probably get the picture! My name was mud for quite a few years!

For my first Christmas as an engaged woman my future mother-in-law gave me a size 20 jumper.

I was at the time size 10/12.

I was a little stuck for words so MIL filled to gap in conversation by saying.

"Oh I know it's a bit bigger than you're used to but that is to allow for expansion".

To this day I still don't know whether she meant I was going to put weight on generally or if she was planning for my first pregnancy. If it was the latter she had to wait four years!

I have to admit that I have since expanded rather but only to a size 14/16.

Like Cait I am now the regular recipient of catalogue freebies.

I am reading with interest and taking note as I am going to become a mother - in - law.

I couldn't be more pleased with my sons choice of bride and we get on well. They live over an hours drive away but we have managed some girly coffee/lunch/shopping days and enjoy each others company.

Months ago we were just looking in a jewellers window and saying 'oh that's nice' to a million different things. She pointed to some earrings saying how pretty they were - they are now wrapped under the tree for when she is here on Christmas Day.

I hope over the years our relationship will continue to grow and dearly hope she never feels the need to comment on some awful pressie I have given her.

I don't get catalogue freebies so safe there xD:(

The ones she commented on are the ones I bought aren't they...... they are, they are, they are....

I hope :o

Edited by Gezabel

My mother in law told me I was 'difficult to buy for' after my first birthday gift from her (6 kitchen teaspoons) I had unfortunately not been 'thrilled enough' when I opened it (hmm)

:(:( Would love to know the thinking behind that one! :wacko:

You mean to say you didn't dance with delight and tell her you would think of her every time you stirred your coffee.... shame on you Cait :oxDxD :unsure: :rolleyes: :(

Oh, I'm glad it's not just me :o

Despite 'encouragement' from friends and my family I haven't gone out and bought a lot of things I know she doesn't like for her Christmas present this year, to send her an alternative message xD

Nona

no major disasters here... many years ago we had a decision to only buy for the children and buy a present for ourselves so I always get what I want! do get tokens form the family usually well thought out.. like many we buy things if we want them so gifting can be hard..

except for son and his partner... 2 boxes of Yorkshire teabags are currently winging their way to Oz.. easy shop that one!

:(:( Would love to know the thinking behind that one! :wacko:

You mean to say you didn't dance with delight and tell her you would think of her every time you stirred your coffee.... shame on you Cait :oxDxD :unsure: :rolleyes: :(

Well her 'thinking' is that presents for women are for the home, to make her home beautiful so she can be proud to welcome visitors.

Her idea for a suitable present for our daughter was a ball of string wrapped in a teatowel. The idea behind that is that she should knit a dishcloth and then wash the dinner dishes and dry them with the teatowel. (I hasten to add that my MIL is German, and these are traditions from there, apparently)

My EX husband once bought me a PVC exercise suit so i could "sweat all the fat off" and another year I received a liquidiser! Hence one of the many reasons he is now my EX!!!!!

I do laugh about it now - I should have seen the signs!!!!

My mother in law takes the easy option and we all get a cheque - fine with me but I think a little sad for the children - they want presents to open - not a cheque that has to be banked before they can spend it!! - My worst present was actually a birthday present from my husband - a value 'basket of pegs'!! - he has learnt his lesson since!

My mother in law is incredibly hard to buy for and files whatever anyone buys for her under the bed!! One year I was feeling very pleased with myself, I had hunted down a beautiful throw, colour coordinated to go with her room and very soft and warm for when the nights got chilly. Anyway it was never taken out of the packaging and we never saw it for the next three years, until she had a clean out and gave it back to me!! I soon put it to good use only for her to say on her next visit here...... Oh thats lovely, where did you get that from!!! Ahhh :o

My own mother is the worse to buy for and receive from. For years I got a pair of new oven gloves the plain off white practical ones and a pair of slippers 'suitable for going out to the bins' ie full soles with fleecy roll over tops. I said something about how it would be nice to be 'surprised' so the next year I got 2 insulated gravy jugs and the year after a 'my dog' photo frame with cracked glass.

When my eldest recently turn 18 she gave the 14 year old 'something for you so your not left out' A jeweled retractable tape measure so she can measure the length of her school skirts and make sure they conform to uniform policy. I thought it was funny but Laura didn't :o and Grandma was serious!! (its rather nice and now in my handbag and is very useful)

This year when we gave her her presents we got a 'thank you but I hope theres no chocolates as the doctor says I'm diabetic'-was thinking of asking for the large tin of Roses back!!!

My mother in law is incredibly hard to buy for and files whatever anyone buys for her under the bed!! One year I was feeling very pleased with myself, I had hunted down a beautiful throw, colour coordinated to go with her room and very soft and warm for when the nights got chilly. Anyway it was never taken out of the packaging and we never saw it for the next three years, until she had a clean out and gave it back to me!! I soon put it to good use only for her to say on her next visit here...... Oh thats lovely, where did you get that from!!! Ahhh :o

xD:(:(

Usually I say "If I could have picked my own Mother-in-law I would have chosen the one I've got"........however, she has done that sort of thing a couple of times........

First time, many years, ago she was really into cake decorating, even attending 'night class'....so I bought her what I thought was a beautiful and thoughtful gift a Portmerion cake stand........years later, I started to collect Portmerion myself - guess what I got back :wacko:

Last year on her birthday I gave a framed photo of her and one of her sisters.......frame carefully chosen to match her decor.......she said all the right things e.g. "oh that's perfect....I haven't got a photo of us together" etc. etc. - but a month or two after she said......"oh, I hope you don't mind, I was stuck for a birthday prent for Phoebe (her sister) so I gave her that photo" :( ....hmmmm, well yes I do mind actually xD ..........