Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Eyfs

Hi

I have recently heard about a local setting that has already started to implement the new EYFS, I was wondering if anyone else had been privvy to a sneak preview. I can't ask the manager as the information came through a staff member and I'm not totally convinced they should be doing it at all. I have seen the paperwork they are using but it looks very unofficial, I did wonder if they were on some kind of pilot.

Anyone else doing it??

Hi -

I don't believe there is any information out about the final version of the new EYFS. They may be anticipating that the proposed one is going to be implemented in full, but I think it would be ill-advised to begin working to a new framework that hasn't even been accepted yet. I'd be surprised if there were secret trials going on as well...

It would be interesting to see what Ofsted would say if they carried out an inspection and found a setting working towards an as-yet unauthorised EYFS wouldn't it?

No - it's not been published and I know for a fact that the ELGs are being re-drafted as we speak and it's all subject to change before publication.

From memory there will be some trialling of the assessment arrangements for EYFSP but I believe only in the summer and only in LAs where they are also trialling payment by results so the LA would be fully involved in that process through their moderation manager. I can check my notes at work later.

The rest of the EYFS is not yet in the public arena. For the piece of work I'm doing with STA we've had to sign confidentiality clauses.

CX

Helen, it's published in Spring and implemented in September 2012. But at the moment they're still evaluating the proposed (draft) version in response to the consultation, so nothing that is currently available is written in stone.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

First time writing on this forum. Feel a bit giddy. I have attached this timeline I had regarding new EYFS. Who knows if they'll stick to a plan?! :o

Edit: attachment removed by Steve.

Hi Rach, and welcome to the Forum! :o

I had to remove your attachment I'm afraid. It had a copyright statement against it - if you have permission from Cordis Bright to make it available just get in touch with me and I'll be happy to put it back. However, it's already out of date (the publication date of January 2012 for example) so I'd caution against using it as anything other than a general list of suggestions.

with another consultation underway now - no one knows what the final draft is going to look like so how can we start implementing it - it will be a rush job as usual (they say it will be May - i reckon July to start Sept!!!!!!) :o

with another consultation underway now - no one knows what the final draft is going to look like so how can we start implementing it - it will be a rush job as usual (they say it will be May - i reckon July to start Sept!!!!!!) :o

Oh that's reminded me......there was some training on offer in my area....wonder if it's been withdrawn.......I shall have to investigate! xD

(I hadn't 'signed up' for it as I'm having a little 'protest' - all of my own about there being no supply cover paid for training :( )

Swift edit to say that in fact there is still supply cover paid for some training and I continue to attend and encourage staff to attend in that case!

Edited by sunnyday

I'm with you on that one Sunnyday and am now "picking and chosing" training very carefully as I can't afford to pay two people so that one can attend training. Times are tight, especially for us PVI providers, and always have been, but of course it means that LA's tightening their belts will hurt us most. :o

We've never had cover paid - and always had to pay for all courses too!!!! :(:( :wacko:

Oh dear, sorry louby loo.......how do you manage?

Case in point - I recently attended a full day's training (without supply cover) I had to drive some 25 miles to access the training - nothing on offer closer to me xD then obviously had to pay our 'cover person' to work in my setting in my place......now I made that decision and just accepted that would be 'out of pocket' (sorry probably should have explained that I am an 'owner/manager')....but I really can't afford to repeat that too many times.......also worry that if we simply 'accept' these conditions then that will become the norm.

In addition to this - training took place in a 'swanky' hotel with a lovely lunch laid on......what's she moaning about I hear you cry :o well....I would have been happier to have training based in a village hall and to have taken a packed lunch - and to have received supply payment.......

I'm with you on that one Sunnyday and am now "picking and chosing" training very carefully as I can't afford to pay two people so that one can attend training. Times are tight, especially for us PVI providers, and always have been, but of course it means that LA's tightening their belts will hurt us most. :(

perhaps we can 'start a revolution'! xD

training took place in a 'swanky' hotel with a lovely lunch laid on......what's she moaning about I hear you cry :o well....I would have been happier to have training based in a village hall and to have taken a packed lunch

perhaps we can 'start a revolution'! xD

Couldn't agree more. I have attended training which was held in what I can only describe as a venue fit for a wedding reception with food to go with it. Really makes me cross - what an utter waste of money..

There is no end to companys selling "training" on the new framework...how they can do this based on a consultation document is very confusing to me!! I won't be writing any training/briefings until they publish even if it is at the last moment!!

The thrust of the Govt is that it should be crystal clear to all who need to know, what the document is saying, which infers no need for itermediaries like your LA staff. Which you may not even have still. They have "simplified" and "streamlined" it so it doesn't need interpretation.

The Assessment criteria were still being rewritten at the end of December and have changed a lot since October when I had the most uptodate to work with for a DfE project.

All I would say is the principles of assessment won't change, even if the criteria do, the principles of teaching and learning won't change even if the curriculum content does. It will be essentially the same , even though it will look a little different.

There, training complete - you can all pay me now!!!!

Cx

Edited by catma

Couldn't agree more. I have attended training which was held in what I can only describe as a venue fit for a wedding reception with food to go with it. Really makes me cross - what an utter waste of money..

Lunch????? Whats that? Not seen a lunch since last March - and even those were very basic.

And sunnday, - I recently had to attend a 3 full day H&S course- Our county now expects every setting to have a senior staff member qualified to a L3 award in this area. So- me out (manger) and cover needed and paid for by ourselves. As for the course content? Well it's standard H&S L3!!!! Want to know about building sites and meat-slicers etc...I'm your lady!!!!

During the course we had to listen to (all early years attending) about how we must provide the correct size equipment - ie chairs and tables so that staff are not at risk of back injuries.................... When we asked how we were supposed to do that within our enviroment- the trainer muttered and moved on to next subject!

..........and we had to pay to go on the course too.

Also- and I think this rankles me the most- other education sectors in the same training venue (doing different courses) were given lunch while we had to provide our own!

Needless to say my evaluation sheet was quiet lengthy.

There is no end to companys selling "training" on the new framework...how they can do this based on a consultation document is very confusing to me!! I won't be writing any training/briefings until they publish even if it is at the last moment!!

The thrust of the Govt is that it should be crystal clear to all who need to know, what the document is saying, which infers no need for itermediaries like your LA staff. Which you may not even have still. They have "simplified" and "streamlined" it so it doesn't need interpretation.

The Assessment criteria were still being rewritten at the end of December and have changed a lot since October when I had the most uptodate to work with for a DfE project.

All I would say is the principles of assessment won't change, even if the criteria do, the principles of teaching and learning won't change even if the curriculum content does. It will be essentially the same , even though it will look a little different.

There, training complete - you can all pay me now!!!!

Cx

That was excellent training - thank you - how much do I owe you?! xD

Lunch????? Whats that? Not seen a lunch since last March - and even those were very basic.

And sunnday, - I recently had to attend a 3 full day H&S course- Our county now expects every setting to have a senior staff member qualified to a L3 award in this area. So- me out (manger) and cover needed and paid for by ourselves. As for the course content? Well it's standard H&S L3!!!! Want to know about building sites and meat-slicers etc...I'm your lady!!!!

During the course we had to listen to (all early years attending) about how we must provide the correct size equipment - ie chairs and tables so that staff are not at risk of back injuries.................... When we asked how we were supposed to do that within our enviroment- the trainer muttered and moved on to next subject!

..........and we had to pay to go on the course too.

Also- and I think this rankles me the most- other education sectors in the same training venue (doing different courses) were given lunch while we had to provide our own!

Needless to say my evaluation sheet was quiet lengthy.

:o:( I don't know what to say..........glad that to hear that you 'socked it to them' with your evaluation sheet! :(

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys...

Am enjoying the massive read over the Easter Hols of the new Statutory Framework and I am somewhat puzzled... We are all programmed to respond to the profile as it stands... and we monitor, observe and provide incidentals for our pupils. My question is - how is this all going to be set out under the new guidelines... has anyone compiled a proforma...are we going to be provided with one or do we have to 'create' our own?

I know this is fairly early on and I am booked in to be briefed and implemented courses... any ideas gratefully received.

bewildered

Hi a;ll :)

I know that there are a few area's trialing the learning goals after Easter!!!! to see if its opperational, you would have already been informed if you were one of those areas. It seems very easy compaired to when it first came out with it's 69 segments. I can say that it look's alot easier and seems to be practitioners knowledge of the child, backed up with some evidance from the child i.e observations/work. With that knowlegde the parctitoner can say yes the child can do it and mark it off!! Evidence taken will be structured by the practitioner ie "(A) makes her mark in the sand" So the practitioner would label her obs. LW (Literacy:Writing) UC (Unique Child) for example.

I hope this helps you.

• 1 month later...

I really do not see the need for panic, not soooo many changes, with most settings having well qualified and experienced leaders they should be confident in a smooth transition when implemented. Waiting for LA guidance !!! :P

Sooo much worry ???

hi judyegg and welcome to the forum ...as you can see from the above posts most of these were put on here some time ago...i think most of us have got to grips with it now we know what we are dealing with. It is always a worrying time when you don't know what you're getting and you are due inspections etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)