Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

17 Year Old's Motor Insurance.

Steve

Just posting in case anyone else is in the same position and has gone through the relevant research:

My unpleasant and entirely unsuitable son has just passed his driving test at the age of 17. I've just obtained my first quote to add him as a named driver on a small Vauxhall Corsa car that I own. This came out at £6,500 which hasn't endeared me to him any more than you might expect!

Has anyone got any recommendations for me to get insurance quotes from? The first person to recommend a company that quotes me less than £10 will receive an extremely large Mars bar through the post.

My daughter is 17 next year and wants lessons. the amount you have quoted is ridiculous. I had heard from friends that you are looking at 1500 plus. This still seems ridiculous. I

will await with baited breadth what others say but I dont think its looking promising.

best of luck

buttercup

The only concrete advice I can offer it to get him to take the Advanced test as well as I believe this makes a difference. Also, I have no idea about cars but the 'lower' powered it is the cheaper it will be. Maybe your Corsa is considered too sporty? (Please don't laugh me off the forum though as I've no idea what a Corsa is!!)

As a named driver that does seem very high, but the younger they are the more expensive it seems to be. Girls seem to be a lower risk and less expensive but its all relative! Or they were, have the new rules re equality started?

We found it cheaper to buy another car and insure our son as a named driver on that. And we have always paid considerably less than your quote.

I think you can get good deals from Tesco but we never found them! There are some policies that limit usage re time of day which judging by my nephew's exploits could be a good idea although you may not rate highly in the father popularity pole!!

Pass plus only seems to make a difference for the sole/ main driver policies and even then its not recognised by all insurance companies although they are quite good skills to learn on top of the basics.

Good luck.

Thanks chaps. Apparently Pass Plus doesn't help much any more (none of the insurers I've contacted were interested in it) although Jamie's going to do it anyway.

The car was one of the lowest insurance groups for new drivers apparently (it's only a 1.2 engine) so I don't think that's the cause for the quotes. I've found a new lowest price of £3,500 which is much better but still makes my eyes water. Here are the top few from one of the price comparison sites (Tesco came out at £5,000 Susan, so they're obviously not in a benevolent mood at the moment...):

insurance.png

My 18 year has just requested a push bike for christmas. He's very high on my list of suitable and endearing people for that.

We also live on excellent bus routes to most places so both he and his 21 old brother are very highly regarded for not seeing the need to learn to drive.

It seem's ludicrous that the amount of a fine is about a tenth of the cost of the insurance. It doesnt make going legal an attractive proposition does it?

Found curchill to be the best for my 18 yr old son last year - did a 10mth policy for around £2000 that was the cheapest we found - he has a corsa - pass plus made no difference to our quotes - good luck Steve x :o

A friend of mine has two unreasonable teenage boys who both passed their test at 17. She couldn't find suitably priced insurance and in the end opted for a policy which enabled them to be added to her insurance for 24 hour periods whenever necessary. So if they wanted to use the car to go out somewhere, she just rang up and added them instantly. I can't remember how much it cost, but she said it worked out much cheaper to only insure them when they needed to drive rather than for all the time the car was sitting idly in the driveway.

I could find out the details if it sounds feasible for you.

Unable to point you in any direction... seems to be getting harder and harder for these young drivers.. we had the problem a while ago and did eventually find a company who made it possible for him to be insured on my car..

We did dig deep to find the costs and are now glad we did ... many jobs these days ask for a driving licence and involve travel, he has needed to be a driver if only to drive hire cars to and from the airports when going off for his jobs... turns out it was one of those things he needed...

and we did same as Maz has suggested more recently when he needed a car as a stop gap.. He had my car and he paid for a month at a time to be added to my policy.. hate to say it was still expensive and he is over 25!

My only suggestion is to try all the comparison sites which I did back in August for my then 17 years old daughter when she passed her test.

To start at the beginning, we got a Peugeot 107 back in October 2010 when she started to learn and to insured it for her with me as a named driver that was £795 with Diamond but other sites quoted much more with the same company. When she passed I had to pay a bit more and the renewal notice came through asking for £1016 so I did the whole comparison site thing again and found Bell at £819 but again other sites had it as over £1K with Bell.

I thought there was something about equality for boys and girls and thought that the result would be that girls would go up to the same level as boys as nothing ever comes down in price!!! But it looks like there is still a huge discrepancy if the cheapest you can get is over £3K - keep trying. :o

My just turned 18 yer old daughter has decided she's to frightened by the prospect of learning to drive but when she turned 17 i did some digging in preparation. The coop was recommended as the best (but that may have changed )

Coop young driver

and theres this 'which' report with suggestions.

Which report

Good luck and let thew rest us parents know how you get on

Thanks all - I'll certainly keep you up to date if I find anything miraculous.

I've found a temporary solution at least. How frustrating it must be to pass your driving test at seventeen and then just have to stop driving because your provisional insurance is invalid and you can't afford full insurance. So I called Quinn Direct and asked them how much it would cost to add Jamie to my insurance on a daily rate as a full driver rather than as a named driver with a provisional basis.

The annual rate came down by quite a bit because I was the only driver covered. And the cost for four days starting tomorrow was only £46, so at least he can go and have a drive by himself for the first time.

The only drawback to covering on a daily basis is that you can do this for a maximum of 28 days in any one year. But it's better than nothing while we fish around for something more reasonable!

My daughter passed her test yesterday and we ve just done the insurance trawl.the cheapest we found was on go compare website for £1400 for 3rd party f and Th for a 1.2 vauxhall corsa with her dad on as a named driver-the gap between girls and boys ins now seems to have dissappeared .we did try Quinn which both my sons have used in the past and found competitive but it came out at over £4000 !!

dont think theres a cheap soultion unfortunatley -at least we could nt find it .

A young chap who lives close to us and is around 19- found a policy where he had a tracker fitted to his car and is not allowed to drive after a certain time at night- but he found it reduced his policy by a significant chunk.... will find out details if I see him.... but also worth investigating :)

er, I heard Shank's pony is an even cheaper option than the bike :o

joking aside Steve, I really hope you are able to find something- my cousin's 17 year old son was quoted £8,000!!! I truly did not believe her. Reading your post I am now eating humble pie!

Yup - one of the highest quotes I found was £15,000 so I believe your young chap!

I've been told by a friend of a friend who knows someone in the insurance industry (so it must be true!) that these outrageous quotes are not because they think they can interest someone in them, but simply because they don't want the business - that they can't make money out of insuring 17 - 25 year olds. Which is a bit scary when you're looking on behalf of your own child isn't it.

My friend has just responded with details of her insurance company. Here is a cut and paste of what she said:-

We're with LV Frizell, quote was for an extra £850 over John and I on the car so just put them on for up to 48 hours at a time and that costs £11.?? But on this deal they cannot drive to school college or work so it must stay my car! We get a slight discount through the CSMA or Unison also give a discount with them.

Might be worth a look if you haven't looked at them before.

My only suggestion is to try all the comparison sites which I did back in August for my then 17 years old daughter when she passed her test.

To start at the beginning, we got a Peugeot 107 back in October 2010 when she started to learn and to insured it for her with me as a named driver that was £795 with Diamond but other sites quoted much more with the same company. When she passed I had to pay a bit more and the renewal notice came through asking for £1016 so I did the whole comparison site thing again and found Bell at £819 but again other sites had it as over £1K with Bell.

I thought there was something about equality for boys and girls and thought that the result would be that girls would go up to the same level as boys as nothing ever comes down in price!!! But it looks like there is still a huge discrepancy if the cheapest you can get is over £3K - keep trying. :o

I tried when my daughter wanted to learn at 17...........in the end she didn't bother learning as the prices were so bad. Have since learned that you can get insurance that is only for daylight hours and thats supposed to be cheaper........don't know how much though. It's just ridiculous!!!!!!!! xD:( :( :(

There just appears to be no logic to the system. My God-daughter (aged 19) was quoted £2600 for a 1l P-reg polo... But £1800 for a new 11 Reg polo.... Her parents have decided to do a 3 year lease deal on a new car when she reaches 20 in December instead as it actually saves them money!

I dread to think what it's going to cost us to insure Lex's classic Mini Clubby Estate when she's 17 in January! I can't put her on my insurance because I have business cover and Dad's car is on a classic policy so no-go there either:(

I may have to get a "proper" job xD

Nona

:o

I dread to think what it's going to cost us to insure Lex's classic Mini Clubby Estate when she's 17 in January! I can't put her on my insurance because I have business cover and Dad's car is on a classic policy so no-go there either:(

Well not to make you more worried, but when I bought my mini, very few insurance companies would insure MrsWeasley to drive it and those who would wanted to charge an extortionate fee. In the end she bought a brand new VW Fox and insured it with Diamond quite reasonably. She is 21 and yet to pass her test, but has me as a named driver.

Hi Steve - I have had the somewhat dubious pleasure of insuring a teenage boy and a teenage girl and have the overdraft to prove it :o

From memory (as the son is now 22 and the price is going down v. slowly) Endsleigh (also good with student insurance) were good at the time son was 17 and with provisional licence. The comparison sites were quite hysterical though - have you trawled down to the bottom yet - you may well get a quote for £34,000 (that's not a typo either) - oh how we laughed at that one xD

Now have teenage daughter to insure as well we have gone with the Admiral multi car jobbie. This way both foul and disgustingly expensive offspring can build up their own no claims discount which is about the only way that their premiums seem to come down. This is another reason why shied away from adding them to my own insurance as they don't get to build up their own no claims - plus if you knowingly put someone on your insurance and they are really the main driver you are in danger of invalidating your insurance as it constitutes a false declaration!!!!! These insurers have got you hang tied all ways!

Both children have had to contribute towards cost of insurance from their savings but as you have seen from your quotes some of the amounts being asked are totally out of the price range of teenagers and without help from the bank of Mums and Dads they might be tempted to become one of the many uninsured drivers on the road.

Hope you have some degree of joy getting it sorted - if it's any hope my son (currently doing Masters at Uni) swears he's going to pay me back when he starts earning xD:( :( :( :wacko:

My classic mini costs more to insure that the main family car but i do have an agreed value on her :o I've also had to jump through hoops to prove no claims etc and I've been driving 30 years on a clean license so its not just teenagers. I dread to think what it would cost my 17 year old to drive her nona!

My classic mini costs more to insure that the main family car but i do have an agreed value on her :o I've also had to jump through hoops to prove no claims etc and I've been driving 30 years on a clean license so its not just teenagers. I dread to think what it would cost my 17 year old to drive her nona!

Our Cooper is on an agreed value policy - we had to photograph every panel, interior and exterior and send off with the agreed valuation certificate!

Lex's clubby is a little (well, a lot!!) less beautiful, but much loved and will be gorgeous just as soon as the welding, respray and new interior are complete xD but considering he's 35 years old and been off the road since 1995 he's looking good!

It's a Mini thing!!

Nona