Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A Bit Of A Hard Time.

Hello all,

I just wanted to post to have a bit of a vent really and get a few things off my chest.

I’m sure some of you here remember that about a year ago I was very active in the forums, telling people about what I was doing and offering advice on continuous provision in year one, but that it is only recently I have become active again after a long break.

Last year (as in last school year) I worked in a different year one class where I was faced with huge challenges and not really supported as I perhaps should have been. The headteacher clearly took against me from the word go (strange since she had hired me) and although at first the deputy tried to help out she gradually drifted away possibly in self preservation as she and the head were very close. I was criticised at every turn; nothing I did was good enough. I was often on my own with a class of 28, which included a ESAP funded child, a statemented child, a child who desperately needed a statement but whom the SENCo wouldn’t believe was as bad as I made out, plus three other SEN children. I worked incredibly hard but became more and more demoralised and exhausted as the year went on.

This head was extremely odd, she had her little clique (made mostly of TAs) who she really got on with and everyone else was left maginalised and feeling like they were hopeless at their jobs. Other teachers confided in me that they no longer felt like good teachers and were only sticking it out because it was a nice school with lovely children in the hopes that she would go within the next year or so. She would regularly make nasty comments about staff in the staffroom and I dread to think what got said about me when I was not there. Matters were made worse when someone was brought in to cover a maternity leave in KS2 and from making horrible comments about her one moment the head suddenly decided she was God’s gift to teachers. Needless to say at the end of the year I was pushed out rather unceremoniously with my job being moved to KS2 (where the head knew I wouldn’t go) and this super teacher taking over my ‘slot’ in KS1 and indeed my class. (She became the year two teacher and the long standing year two teachers were moved to year one.) Being the SENCo she promptly announced that the child I had been fighting for needed a statement (shock, horror, it wasn’t my bad teaching after all!) This was not before she had accused me in July of exaggerating my class’s results because a lot had reached level 2 and they couldn’t possibly be this clever. (Luckily in this one thing I had the deputy’s support as she had moderated my results).

The confidence I had in myself was completely shattered by this experience and I failed to secure a new job for September. This was probably ultimately for the best as it was only towards the end of September that I began to feel like myself again. This was not helped by the head suddenly demanding I give her all my planning on September 2nd. Apparently she was within her rights to ask for this, but the second I left in July I had dumped the entire lot in the bin. This may sound strange behaviour but it was an attempt to clear away the bad vibes and find some peace from what had been a year that had almost resulted in me having a breakdown. The only thing that kept me going towards the end was the fact that the children obviously liked me and they had made huge progress, mostly meeting or exceeding their extremely challenging targets. The parents were also a huge source of support with many expressing their outrage to me and even to the head about the fact that I was going. Two parents even withdrew their children from the school partly in protest at the ‘ethos’ the treatment of me showed must run through the school and partly because they didn’t want this ‘super’ teacher teaching their children, although sadly they didn’t say this to the head only to me!

Since I had binned the planning the head was not best pleased, made worse by the fact that Ofsted were coming in to look at transition from reception to year one. Quite honestly by this point I was less than inclined to help (plus I knew they’d do fine anyway, as I did like the other teachers and wouldn’t want to disadvantage them), besides which I felt that asking long after my employment had ended was a bit out of order. Was I right in this? Part of me feels guilty for not doing more, although I did spend a whole afternoon printing off my first half terms planning again and taking it in to her.

I am now trying to pick myself back up, but I just can’t seem to get a job and this now is getting me down again. Securing an interview is near impossible and I don’t seem to get anywhere with those I have had. I dread to think what sort of reference this head teacher is writing me, but I can’t ask the deputy for one as they are rather in each other’s pockets and there is no one else to ask. I’m having to seriously consider giving up teaching to make ends meet. Even getting TA work might prove hard because no one wants to give a job to someone who might leave any moment to take up a teaching role when one is offered.

I suppose the upshot of all this is that I just wanted to have a good moan and get it all off my chest. Sometimes I feel like perhaps I over-reacted to the things that happened last year and sometimes I think maybe I’m not as good as I thought I was. Why else would she take against me in such a huge way?

Any advice or support you could offer would be very gratefully received.

I don't come on here often nymore as am a SAHM and not teaching STM.... but had to reply- really feel for you... how horrid.

Have you contacted your union to talk about it, how about the chair of govenors of the school.

No one has the right to treat you like that.

I wish you luck in finding a new job... huge hugs

Not being from a teaching background I have no idea about the technical questions you raise, but on a human level I can see that you've been treated incredibly badly.

I just wanted to send you all my good wishes and to say I hope you find a school worthy of you very soon.

Planning is for the children of the moment and any school that thinks plans can be passed on like hand me down clothes is just wrong in my view. If keeping plans is so important then have systems for them to be kept in the school. There could be an argument made that the planning you completed as part of your contractual obligations belongs to the school, and this is where I am a bit sketchy,but it's all about the copyright of materials we produce in the employ of the school/LA belonging to them not us.

But you have left and you have to move on from it really....you do not have to be part of anything they do ie Ofsted and have no obligation to them!!! Consider the positives - no more dealing with their negativity, nastiness and disinterest everyday! That must be worth celebrating at least!!

Have you considered supply teaching? A friend of mine was pushed out of her school in a similar way and she has been doing supply for nearly 3 years now. She ended up doing 1 year in 1 school and 2 terms in another so now has lovely references from those heads who really valued her. Her confidence was in tatters and not having to be responsible for a class in the first instance really helped her build up her sense of worth again.

Do you have details, dates or contempraneous notes of events/comments etc? This is what wold be most useful if you considered taking to your union about the situation. It would be beneficial to have a conversation with them just to see what their perspective is and in fact if they have had dealings with this HT before which can sometimes be the case. The HT is within their rights to move staff to different year groups, and we are overall in a Primary school expected to teach any year group, but the behaviour towards you could be construed as bullying. best to talk to the professionals in this matter though.

Cx

Edited by catma

Guest tinkerbell

Your planning is your own so do not feel guilty.Shame on them. :o

What a horrid experience.

Supply teaching sounds like a good way in to finding your confidence again,you will also get a feel for the schools you work in and they for you ,so when a job becomes available you are in a good position to apply .Another way could be volunteering in a local or school you like and after a term of say one day a week surely they would be in a position to give you a personal reference.

Good luck

Tinkerbell

I'm just sending a hug too. There's nothing worse than a bully, so do what Catma suggests and look on the bright side, you dont have to work for them anymore. :o

I'm not a teacher but I did work for a supply agency in DNs and it is really is a great way to find out if you'd ever want to work there full time. xD:(

Edited by Rea

Firstly breathe and relax. Your head's faults are not your faults. You did your best and your children made excellent progress. Nobody can take that away from you. Jobs are hard at the moment, there are a lot of people going for the same job and the school will be looking for the right person for them. The right school for you will be out there. Supply is a good way forward as it gets you known within your Local Authority and keeps your hand in. You did the right thing and must put your own welfare first.

Giant hug xxxxx

Catma has said everything sensible as usual. You need to move on now, and I think supply is the way to go and you will build up relationships and a reputation with other schools. Your confidence will soar, so make that first step.

Sadly your experience is not uncommon, but you have to go to the union and fight, or get out and move on. Lots of hugsX

Thank you everyone for your words of support and kindness, you have all made me feel a lot better about things. I have signed up with supply agencies already, but some difficulties with retrieving my induction certificate from the GTC have meant that I am yet to do any work for them. Hopefully once things are sorted and I can actually work I will start to feel better. I am also going to look in to doing some volunteering after half term if supply work is not very forthcoming.

Have you contacted your union to talk about it, how about the chair of govenors of the school.

A few of you have mentioned this. Unfortunately the head of governors is the wife of one of the TAs who is in the 'clique' and he himself is very friendly with the head so I would get no support there. One of the governors had two grandchildren in my class and he came to me at the end of the year and said "I want you to know I fought your corner in those governors' meetings, I think they behaved disgracefully towards you," so goodness knows what got said about me there!

As for contacting the union I am hesitant to do so because I know this head did previously get rid of someone who tried to fight it through the union and lost. She covers her back extremely well and added to that by the end of the year I was in such a state that I know I didn't perform my best when she observed me. If I tried to go to the union she would use this to defend herself. Also the fact that at the end of the year she put the KS2 job up for grabs - this would no doubt count against me as I didn't apply. What annoys me is that this was a very sneaky way of getting rid of me, she knew I wouldn't apply for a KS2 job and there was absolutely no real need to move the other teacher to KS1. It annoys me that this seconded teacher got offered a permanent contract at the end of the maternity leave she was covering with no advertisment of the job and no interview, despite the fact that I had been there longer than she had!

All in all I think I will just have to put it behind me as a terrible experience that I can't do anything about, although I feel awful that she has 'got away with it' so to speak. The poor girl who was there before me got treated in much the same way and prior to that there was the long-standing teacher I mentioned who had to get the union involved. Plus several TAs who she has tried to push out (she managed to get rid of 3 through some rather sneaky, but fully legal, methods, but 2 had permanent hours she couldn't chop and are sticking it out there in the hope she leaves soon). Unfortunately she covers her back too well, and having previously been an advisor herself has the support of her friends from the LA as well as her clique within the school and governing body. I can't help wondering who is next?

What goes around comes around. It might take years of but it always makes me feel better to know one day they'll get their comeuppance. Saves the sanity too if you convince yourself its just a matter of time. :o

I have seen this happen elsewhere, unless of course it is the same place! :o The LA will always support the HT, so I think venting and moving on is the wisest course now. I feel so sad that this has happened to you early in your career, but there are lovely schools and supportive HT's out there, and eventually you will find one. It is hard though when you feel that you have not been treated fairly.

You can talk to your Union in confidence. They will have heard stories like this before. It may help you resolve your feelings of injustice just to talk about it with them. They may also have been contacted by other staff in the past and it helps them to build up a picture, which might help someone else in the future. You don't need to take any action but your union may be able to offer advice, especially if you are finding delays in getting your induction papers through, or are concerned that your reference is not fair. You pay them a lot after all. xD

Exactly.

I'm a bit confused though re how you ended up leaving....what type of contract did you have? Was it a permanent one? If it was you can't be left without a role in the school, regardless of what that role is unless there's a restructure etc. Regardless of what she did in advertising the key stage 2 job unless you had a contract that was ending she couldn't leave you without a job.

Cx

I have seen this happen elsewhere, unless of course it is the same place! :o

Oh dear! Would be a strange coincidence if it was...

In answer to your question Catma, unfortunately I didn't have a permanent contract. I had only been there a year and they only gives one year contracts at first so the head can get rid of those who don't fit into her clique. This is what happened to the girl before me as well. Of course I know a lot of heads give out temporary contracts at first to check someone is suitable, but I'm sure with most schools it goes off whether you teach well and get good results and children/parents are happy, not the whim of the headteacher.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. You have made me feel much better about myself and it does feel good to finally get it off my chest to people who know what schools can be like!

Edited by Guest

ahhh, that's clearer.

I think in these situations you have to decide to let it go or to do something. Deciding to let go is as good a decision as the other and just as gutsy. It's hard to do and you have to stop yourself picking at the scab as it heals over!!

Cx

I really wish you would at least contact the union - it doesn't have to go any further if you don't want it to. I suspect that you are feeling at least a little better just by writing it all down and sharing it with the forum; I also think you would feel a whole lot happier if you discussed it with your union and perhaps then in a better position to put it all behind you. The more teachers who talk to the union about this woman's bullying ways the more chance that something will be done about it - perhaps not now, but at some point in the (not too distant) future. By talking to your union, you could be helping the next teacher.

I think the 'supply' route is a very good option - it would give you back your confidence as well as provide an alternative source of reference.

Big hugs and good luck with whatever you decide. x