Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Toilet Training

Hi everyone....feeling really fed up with changing children constatntly! i have so many this year who are not toilet trained and they are all over 3! with no additional needs i really feel i need to push the parents a little bit to get the ball rolling!! :o do any of you have a parents advice leaflet or something similar i could copy and use? i tend to find that nobody around here sees their health visitors any longer (we run on a 'bank' sytem) and the HV's dont seem to have time to support toiletting. Thank you in anticipation xD

glad its not just me panders...i have never had a year like this. I spent most of the session in the toilets on thurday...i wouldnt mind if these parents had tried but there seems to be this idea that when they get to me i'll crack it!...unfortunately if they were with me full time that would be great but i cant perform miracles in 3 hours a day!both of my children were toilet trained by 2 but parents now seem to wait until the child chooses to go to the loo...which many of them dont choose to do!...sorry ranting :o

Have you tried contacting your PCT or local Health Visitor / GP practice to see if they have a contact number for the local 'continence' nurse? We have a nurse in our area who is willing to come and talk to parents as a group re: toileting. She also has leaflets available. As you can imagine her time is precious due to her own clinics and she is very much in demand - but she will make time for early years groups - it may be worth a try? Wishing you every success, I know what it's like and how you are feeling - have been there in my last setting and it is not fun! Rant away, I am with you all the way :)

Have you tried contacting your PCT or local Health Visitor / GP practice to see if they have a contact number for the local 'continence' nurse? We have a nurse in our area who is willing to come and talk to parents as a group re: toileting. She also has leaflets available. As you can imagine her time is precious due to her own clinics and she is very much in demand - but she will make time for early years groups - it may be worth a try? Wishing you every success, I know what it's like and how you are feeling - have been there in my last setting and it is not fun! Rant away, I am with you all the way :)

unfortunately not a service that our health authority provides (left to the school nurse!)...such a good idea though ...my daughter although potty trained had continence issues (if that makes sense??!!)... i like the idea of a wee nurse :o

often think disposable nappies have a lot to answer for....

if they were in terries I wonder how many would be out of them long ago..

I'll go along with this! I remember the bother of terry nappies, soaking, boiling, wet around the house on wet days! Couldn't wait to get the children out of them! I think we trained earlier then, I can remember not having soiled nappies from my two after I stopped feeding, and it was just about timing. There was also the impetus of not being able to get them into nursery until they were dry too, and I think that was a spur for some parents. The modern nappies don't allow the children to experience being 'wet' and uncomfortable.

I heard a child ask for the toilet the other day at Preschool as Mum was bringing her in, Mum said "Well pee then, you've got a nappy on!" well goodness!!!

I'll go along with this! I remember the bother of terry nappies, soaking, boiling, wet around the house on wet days! Couldn't wait to get the children out of them! I think we trained earlier then, I can remember not having soiled nappies from my two after I stopped feeding, and it was just about timing. There was also the impetus of not being able to get them into nursery until they were dry too, and I think that was a spur for some parents. The modern nappies don't allow the children to experience being 'wet' and uncomfortable.

I heard a child ask for the toilet the other day at Preschool as Mum was bringing her in, Mum said "Well pee then, you've got a nappy on!" well goodness!!!

I must admit to using disposables myself.. even way back when... they were very new to the market here, but we were in Germany and had been in common use there for a while.. also I had no washing machine... had to use one in the basement which was shared between 8 of us.. all with babies or littlies... but the children still felt 'wet' so we still tried to get the children trained as soon as we could .

did have a friend though who used them here... she wore out 2 washing machines, one for each child!

as to telling a child to pee in a nappy, that really does make me wonder... so lazy of the parent...

and I really would want to reduce the expense of using them too...

We give this out to parents.....

Some find that pre-school is the obstacle and children wear pants at home but parents are apprehensive/embarrassed about not using a nappy when coming to pre-school.

I have found that sometimes a discussions from key person is enough to make parents think now would be a good time... and then they know that pre-school are supportive and don't mind accidents!

NAPPIES_AND_CHANGING.docx

I do also agree with the terries 'argument' - I would use 'booster' pads which looked a bit like sanitary towels but were washable - and I lent them to several friends so that they could be used inside the disposable nappy and the child would feel wet, but wouldn't have the adult inconvenience of wet clothing - the other idea is to suggest wearing pants inside the nappy - same principle applies!!

It's not easy for everyone and can be quite a stressful time for parents, so understanding is key. Suggest a potty is placed at home and see what interest there is first. Be prepared - they might be surprised with how easily the child takes to it.

And just for interest - here is an article I found...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/family/story/0,,1944603,00.html

Definitely agree with the terry nappy thing. Beside the hassle of washing them etc they were far more of a pain to carry around, change children when out (oh the joys of lugging a dirty terry nappy in your bag!!) It is much easier for a child to be in a nappy now then be out of them. No puddles (or worse) anywhere, no rushing to the toilet or worrying when they need to go- and now they can even attend preschool in them!! I cant see any incentives at all for trying to get them out. My boys were much later then my girls at using a toilet and my youngest son with who I used disposables 100% I had no rush to get him out of until he was due for playgroup at nearly 3. Then of course there was the 'unwritten' rule The have to be out of nappies to come here!! But that was fine and it gave me the kick I needed to get him out of nappies and yes I freely admit it was sheer laziness on my part _ it was easier for him to be in nappies. With my others I had always had another baby on the way so really didn't want two in nappies and I was using terrys. It must be this year as we have more in nappies at present then ever. All boys as well.

However, I do think that disposable nappies were the best things for Mothers, ever to be invented!!