Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Computer Games For Preschool

Hi everyone

We have recently purchased a computer for the setting, and was wondering if any of you had any good titles of games you use? Im not sure which ones to buy.

Many thanks

G.

Hi everyone

We have recently purchased a computer for the setting, and was wondering if any of you had any good titles of games you use? Im not sure which ones to buy.

Many thanks

G.

Ours love JellyBods and also online Education City, which I think you have to subscribe to, but we get it as we are linked with the primary school who are registered users.

Ours like Bob the Builder, Bob builds a park. They like making the dinosaur skeleton, but not a lot else on that one. There's a Pingu game that's really good and has a lot of games on it that they like, jigsaws, jumping across ice floes, matching shapes, rolling Pingu along a tunnel maze and dressing a snowman.

One that was a waste of money was a Noddy one. There's far too much 'driving' between games and they get bored and wander off!

We actually only have one computer 'game' and it isn't really a game at all. Its called Reactickles and was developed for very young children, and those with autism. You can get ordering information here.

It is hard to explain, but basically the software reacts to the input it receives from the child which can be by interactive whiteboard, keyboard, mouse, switch. There are 12 different games which the children access via a clock face.

There is one where each time the child presses the mouse a series of little bubbles appears, another where the screen is split into four and a different shape appears as the mouse is dragged from one corner to another, accompanied with a very unusual sound. Another screen has a series of large and small bubbles which the child moves to a different position, only to find that when they release the mouse button, it pings back to its original position.

Our children love it - it is predictable but totally under the control of the child. There is no aim, and nothing that the child needs to do to 'win'.

I wish I could show you a demo - it is hard to envisage!

Hi,

We've got Beep, Noisy Things and Pretty Things. We only have these three but the children love them. I thoroughly recommend them.

virtually anything from 2simple (city and maths our favourites) also we have one called mouse island which is great (lots of shape games) the children have created a group approach to this, this term. Quite something watching 6 children around one computer helping each other to complete all the levels :o ) It has three levels small mouse the easiest...etc so works for a wide range of children....i'm looking for more like this so if anyone knows please tell....

I'll try and find the link to mouse island...cant remember the company it comes from

also my nursery kids love songs and stories I have downloaded and converted from you tube - I have them on the desktop so they can use them independently and there is loads you can get on you tube covering all areas of learning

That looks nice, I think I'd need a laptop with sound though- the one we have left after 4 years of bashing has just a 'dit' of sound left if you put your ear really close to the speaker! (I was told last week by a child that there was a dit of sound, so it stays that now!)

virtually anything from 2simple

I'd second that. Although we were lucky enough to be given a laptop for the setting (share between staff and children!) -which came with some good games on - Sheraton I think.

Also you could try companies like Pink Cow that will loan them to you for a month or so to try.

fizzy's numbers is a favorite.....especially the washing machine game,counting the chosen number of fluffy toys in and out of the washing machine, some shrink, some get bigger and some change colour, we also use a range called 'gigglebiggies' by jellybridge.....lots of matching, spotting differences.....

Pink Cow site seems to be down.. are they still there? not tried for a while but all I get is cannot connect.. they were really good, we used them all the time and often bought after trying things out..

We had fizzy numbers which they all enjoyed,

Moles which was good for learning mouse control as you could set it to different levels according to the children

we asked parents if they had any games at home that were no longer used and were given loads of them... amazing what they came in with..

Thanks everyone. Im going to start looking at all of those recommendations. THis is such a great resource! Thanks again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)