Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Shingles

I have had a member of staff call me to say she has shingles, she feels fine in herself and would like to come in on Monday. Am I right in thinking that as long as the area is covered then she is fine to do so as the contagious aspect is actual contact with the blister rather that air born like chicken pox?

Kris

I just checked the Guidance on Infection Control poster published by the HPA and it says that you should exclude "only if rash is weeping and cannot be covered". It also says that there is a risk of it causing chicken pox in those who haven't already had it, and that there's a risk to pregnant women.

Shingles can be incredibly debilitating so although she says she feels fine now, she may not on Monday. Probably better to let you know then rather that make a commitment now that she's fine.

The doctor told her that provided the rash was covered then she was fine to return to work, I checked on the HPA website and it does say that if the rash is on the body and can be covered then return to work/school is fine, if the rash cant be covered (ie on the face) then the incubation time is 5 days from the start of the rash same as chicken pox.

She wasn't in today but back tomorrow as she can cover rash as on her body and also 5 days have passed, I did put a letter out to parents just to let them know.

Kris

I am pleased, but very surprised that she is feeling well in herself........Mr S had shingles many moons ago when he was a comparatively young man and was ill for three months.......have known of several other friends, relatives who have been similarly affected.......

I had shingles in 1996 and still suffer with constant pain around the area where the rash was.

Some days it feels as if I have been kicked in the side.

As others have said - only contagious if rash is weeping, otherwise you can only contract shingles after having Chicken Pox yourself.

Core

My dad had shingles last year. It affected his face, his head and his eyes. He still has terrible pain now, as well as dodgy vision caused by it spreading to his eyes.

Its a real nasty one.