Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sun Cream

sunnyday

So.....today is the hottest day of the year in my part of the world......

Meet and greet this morning "hello everyone, have you all got your sun cream on and your hats with you" :o , lots of lovely positive replies from all but one.....a dad - who took me to one side and said "we've fallen out of love with putting chemicals all over her skin, how can that be better than the sun, she has got a jacket in her bag if you want to use it".......

I was completely flabbergasted - I have never experienced this in 30 years.......am I missing something? xD

I think I'd have been a little bit flabbergasted too! What a peculiar thing to say. I'm not sure how you respond to something like that, surely you'd be failing in your duty of care if she got burnt - her jacket presumably doesn't protect her face, neck, hands, legs etc.

I think I'd be wanting him to sign a disclaimer or something

No , not missing something...

perhaps it is a family that needs a bit of education on skin cancers... remembering you can get sunburn on a cloudy day, not just a sunny one. some education on how they benefit more than the sun would be a timely reminder to all perhaps.

I assume they are having a look at lifestyle to remove chemicals which could cause harm.. forgetting the benefits of some of them.

( you should seem the struggle I have with my white cat every morning, battle of wills to see if I can catch him to put his suncream on!)

Sunsmart

Sun safety

Sun smart schools resources

there are also leaflets on the sites for download or order ...

I think I'd be wanting him to sign a disclaimer or something

There's a thought - thank you Cait :o

To be honest I felt like 'slapping' him.........but I'm sure that's not allowed (more's the pity)

Not sure that I can see any difference between children being 'inadequately clothed' in cold weather (which is neglect) and a child not being adequately protected in the sun......

I wondered if there is some new 'research' that I have completely missed? xD

Ooops crossed posts there Inge - thank you so much for the links....

Edited by sunnyday

Lot to be said for a wide brimmed floppy hat and a high collared shirt. I have a phobic child and this option has proved successful. We are inside for lunch and naps during the highest risk parts of the day. Not easy to buy good hats it must be said. Thinking of importing a heap from Australia next time I'm home. There the rule at school is 'No Hat, No Play!!'

Honey

if they are a family that are trying to reduce the amount of chemicals used at home and on themselves i can agree with him, but he does need a little education -there are chemical free sunscreens readily available -and i think a list of ones he could use, along with some info on sun safety wouldnt go amiss !!

some i have found are -

http://www.echemist.co.uk/p-jason-earth-s-...od&sv=16273

http://www.oneclickpharmacy.co.uk/health-p...3g-p-60684.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Burts-Bees-Remedie...n/dp/B0029EZWMQ

http://adadababy.ecrater.co.uk/c/1105711/c...-free-sunscreen

http://www.greenpeople.co.uk/naturalsuncre...amp;affid=78888

did he give any reasons why they are not keen to use sunscreen, has the child had a reaction to one or is it just the use of chemicals they are cautious of ?

i would also ensure the child brings in a wide brimmed had (as opposed to a cap etc) and some loose long sleeved clothing ,i'd imagine the poor little thing getting heatstroke wearing a jacket on a day like today !

there has been a lot of info recently on parabens and their bad effects on our health (And the build up over the day!)

interesting article here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-...-sun-cream.html

Parents have to make their own decisions ...i guess you could ask them to supply an alternative product or that the child will not be able to go outside (except with a full sunsuit on!!! :o )

...sorry cross posted with fimbo!

Edited by finleysmaid

We wanted to have a parent sign a disclaimer a few years back when the child wasn't to have suncream on because it was better for his eczema to have sun on it. We pleaded with her to check her interpretation with the GP and ask for an eczema safe cream but she was adamant so we told our LA advisor about it to check about the disclaimer. We were advised that it might not be enough if the child suffered sunburn and a health professional for example asked why he didn't have cream on. Her advice was that person could then report us for a failure of duty of care/neglect. It was as a consequence of this that we decided to include the section about parents signing agreement to our policies and failure to abide by them could result in loss of places!

Thanks to all who have taken the trouble to reply and to add links - very much appreciated.....

My 'impatience' with him was really because I was thinking - if you want to help her why don't you stop smoking around her :o

Her 'jacket' was a 'summer' affair so not too hot - but it only had 3/4 length sleeves - she did have a rather super wide brimmed hat and I tried my best to keep her in the shadier parts of our outdoor space........

I have printed off information from Cancer research and this will go out to all families.....

We wanted to have a parent sign a disclaimer a few years back when the child wasn't to have suncream on because it was better for his eczema to have sun on it. We pleaded with her to check her interpretation with the GP and ask for an eczema safe cream but she was adamant so we told our LA advisor about it to check about the disclaimer. We were advised that it might not be enough if the child suffered sunburn and a health professional for example asked why he didn't have cream on. Her advice was that person could then report us for a failure of duty of care/neglect. It was as a consequence of this that we decided to include the section about parents signing agreement to our policies and failure to abide by them could result in loss of places!

Sorry Holly - we crossed posts there - thanks for this - that's pretty worrying......

That's what we felt, hence our decision on the policies and places thingy. (Sorry very tired now with this heat!) Fortunately for us this child moved on that summer and - touch wood - we haven't had another incident like it.

As an adult who has had bad sunburn (sitting with friend on a sun lounger at the waters edge with the water lapping round us sipping cocktails in Cuba so please no sympathy was my very own stupid fault and felt a prize wally after lecturing the children about sun cream) I cannot understand why any parent would want their child to suffer to excruciating pain of sunburn...everything you try and wear hurts and sleeping is a nightmare.

I think some parents get hold of an idea and then seem to miss the bigger picture.....chemicals on skin as oppose to agony of burnt flesh ?????

I think some parents get hold of an idea and then seem to miss the bigger picture.....chemicals on skin as oppose to agony of burnt flesh ?????

Thanks Sue - I couldn't have put it better myself.....

No comment from dad today......but the little girl told my deputy (her Key person) - "mummy has put Aloe Vera all over me today"......not at all sure what to make of that.......have sent home today (to all families) info. from Cancer Research.......

This little girl is an absolute delight to work with and we will really miss her when she leaves us at the end of term.......not so sure we will miss her parents :( - we will get a 'year off for good behaviour' before her little brother starts with us :(:o

Oh quick edit to say.....while we are confessing to our own experiences of sunburn - I managed to burn my feet and ankles on Daytona Beach, Florida - agony would be an understatement xD

Edited by sunnyday

Thanks Sue - I couldn't have put it better myself.....

Oh quick edit to say.....while we are confessing to our own experiences of sunburn - I managed to burn my feet and ankles on Daytona Beach, Florida - agony would be an understatement xD

Snap - got burnt very quickly on same beach! Must be a hole in the ozone just there :o One of my son's lay on his back for a few minutes but happened to have his hand across his tummy, so he had a hand imprinted there for a few days!

Managed to burn exactly the same place but in Barbados. Had been sat with my feet buried in the sand and then moved and totally forgot to rebury them or put cream on. Horrible, horrible experience and made it very difficult to wear shoes for a number of days.

No comment from dad today......but the little girl told my deputy (her Key person) - "mummy has put Aloe Vera all over me today"......not at all sure what to make of that.......have sent home today (to all families) info. from Cancer Research.......

this made me curious as I used it for after sun and antiseptic properties a lot so I did a bit of research on the Aloe vera..

found several sites which said it could be used as a sunscreen... but even more saying it should not be used as one , but gave the aftersun use and really good for sunburn , moisturising and antiseptic uses.. but there are several suncreens based on it which are advocated as natural so wonder if they are using one...

also found so many reasons why sunscreen should be used..

Aloe vera just one of many ..

Thanks Inge - very interesting reading there.....

I will wait and see what (if any) response the downloaded info. from Cancer Research brings......

I hate feeling 'out of my depth' but I really do with this one......it is, on the one hand parents choice but and it's a big but - I have a duty of care too and they are putting me in an incredibly difficult situation.......I suppose I should 'bite the bullet' really and have a discussion with them.......have you ever found that you just don't have the 'energy' for something.......

The little girl was 'strangely subdued' this morning - she has been with us for two years and I have never known her to be so quiet....it is probably connected to her visiting Primary school yesterday afternoon (she was wringing her hands in her dress when I asked her how she had got on there) and absolutely nothing to do with sun cream - she certainly couldn't have picked anything up from us - but I do find it odd that she told my deputy about the Aloe Vera - I feel sure that she had been told to tell us.....

Noticed when I 'developed' today's photos - there is one of the whole group sitting enjoying a story outside and guess what - her hat is not on her head (sigh) it is 'on a string' and she has let it slip off and it is just hanging - wasn't very sunny, didn't notice at the time, everyone else had their hat on........this is just the sort of situation that makes this difficult - she had nothing on her face - well she did Aloe Vera......I need to know that the children are adequately protected - is that really too much to ask?

Edited by sunnyday

Just wanted to add that we had a parent this week who when asked about sun lotion said "but my child tans nicely." To which she was told that if the child didn't have any on the child wouldn't be able to stay. We gave her the bottle and she did then put some on the child but complained that it made her hands feel sticky in the process!! Have now sent out to all parents the sun protection policy, it will of course now rain x

So........

Today - no big hat, no special 'jacket'.........."I've got sun cream on - mum bought some more because we had run out".....

hmmmmm......why can't people be honest in the first place, I am sure you have a bottle for emergencies like we use to that you could have used.

hmmmmm......why can't people be honest in the first place, I am sure you have a bottle for emergencies like we use to that you could have used.

We certainly do - it's right 'there' waiting for them! Two different types - no need to ask - just pick it up and use it!

"I've got some on!" protested a little girl this morning, "Mummy put some on" Oh ok, when did she do it - at breakfast time? "No, before swimming" quick look in home diary to find that swimming was Saturday morning. Sigh. So, none yesterday?

"I've got some on!" protested a little girl this morning, "Mummy put some on" Oh ok, when did she do it - at breakfast time? "No, before swimming" quick look in home diary to find that swimming was Saturday morning. Sigh. So, none yesterday?

:oxD:(:(