Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Individual Child Planning -weekly

Can anyone share how they plan for individual children on a WEEKLY basis please- we are getting in a mess- :o

We currently have an individual plan for each child which covers a half term and need a SIMPLE system of putting this into weeky/daily practise.

thanks

I'm not convinced it's entirely possible.

We use learning diaries and next steps but next steps are only done every few weeks.

Hope someone can be more helpful than me!

Edited by Guest

This one keeps niggling at me as well. We have tried half-termly next step sheets but have not found an easy way to transfer these into the weekly plan.

I am now trialling a sheet which has the 6 areas down left side then 4 columns across landscape page. First column is for noting 'Recent Observations' of Jimmy. These link to obs. that we have put in the learning journal which we number. E.g in PSRN "Jimmy recognising numerals to 5 and counting to 10 ..see obs 17 and 25.

Next column is the 'so what?' column e.g 'Next step": Provide opps. for counting 10-20 and recognising numerals 5-10.

3rd column: 'Included in weekly planning?" Here you put the dates of weeks that you specifically provide activities to aid this.

4th Column: 'Progress observed' here you link to another later observation that you put in learning journal which shows when child has achieved the step following provision offered. E.g ' Spotting numerals 5-12 in environment -see obs. 27 and 31.

We provide a space to put the child's name at the top of column 2 (Next Steps). You can then copy and paste the Next Steps column into another document with all your other key children's next steps and use that as the aide memoire when planning.

It might just work..........and I think it supports that idea that Ofsted look for a document trail that shows how you link observation, planning, assessment.

No, I agree. I use that 'so what?' phrase a lot, especially when I am trying to guide my staff team on whether an observation should go in a learning journal.

My other favourite phrases to give clarity are 'Why are we doing this?' "What's the point of this?" and 'Why do it this way?"'

All in all if you add them up with "So what?" I sound like an obstreperous teenager! But it helps to find our focus!

also having probs with staff getting heads around planning for individual children on weekly basis....doing all the LLN's, planning next steps from obs etc...etc..... have EY's advisor in next week to go through planning with staff and condense paperwork being done :o..........we'll see

well I have a sheet that uploaded here before that says 'Aidan is good at/enjoys' with lines below for that, then 'Aidan needs' with lines below showing where I think his next steps lie - and also providing cues for observations, and then 'how this informs my planning for Aidan' where I write down the CP or AL going on in the next few weeks saying how I want to meet Aidan's needs. This can then go on as long as necessary until I feel that Aidan has achieved the next steps and we've started to create some more. Sometimes that's a week, and sometimes an entire term, for some children who are moving at a slower rate who I think need some more consolidation

well I have a sheet that uploaded here before that says 'Aidan is good at/enjoys' with lines below for that, then 'Aidan needs' with lines below showing where I think his next steps lie - and also providing cues for observations, and then 'how this informs my planning for Aidan' where I write down the CP or AL going on in the next few weeks saying how I want to meet Aidan's needs. This can then go on as long as necessary until I feel that Aidan has achieved the next steps and we've started to create some more. Sometimes that's a week, and sometimes an entire term, for some children who are moving at a slower rate who I think need some more consolidation

I would love to see a copy of that sheet. I have looked in the resource file but can't find anything like it.

You are welcome Bridger. It's simple, but shows how we're planning for individuals, and I can see at a glance what's needed for a child if we suddenly go off at a tangent! It's also good if a key person is off sick, because I can just pick the sheet up and see where 'they are going'.

My staff plan on an individual basis and weekly

they observe, next week they plan which area and DM

and how they are going to enable this. It goes down onto a sheet, i colate it at the end of the week and put it on a weekly provision sheet.. easy

My staff plan on an individual basis and weekly

they observe, next week they plan which area and DM

and how they are going to enable this. It goes down onto a sheet, i colate it at the end of the week and put it on a weekly provision sheet.. easy

I have no problem in identifying what each child needs, but I struggle with providing the provision, not in terms of the activity ideas of supporting this but actually facilitating it. Each child has there own needs but how do I decide who to focus on each week or day?

Can anyone help?

Well here you are - I hope you find it useful. :)

Cait

Great - it is a nice simple sheet- think we are looking too deep into this!!

Do you then transfer the information from your sheet onto a provision sheet or activity sheet- or do you work off of this sheet?

Can I just ask do you split the children you re focusing on into weeks or focus on them all the time, as if we did it all the time like being sugeested each keyworker would have 10 of these sheets .

I visualise them all looking at paperwork instead of playing!!!! They would also all want to be focusing on their children and nothing else would probably get done!

Thanks

No I mostly know what's on them, I have 12 children at the moment and it's easy to hold the knowledge in my head. Some of them have similar next steps and others are totally different. The file's there to refer to if I need it, but as I tend to mostly 'run' with what's going on, pushing them a little sometimes in a specific direction, it's more about radar, as Sunnyday calls it, about knowing where your children are and what they are doing. Then it's a watch and see, or a join in and 'how can we do this....' 'Ooh, do you think we could ...' or whatever. Sometimes the next step is achieved at home anyway and Mum's do a mini obs for me!

I don't write it all out again - no paperwork for paperwork's sake!

No I mostly know what's on them, I have 12 children at the moment and it's easy to hold the knowledge in my head. Some of them have similar next steps and others are totally different. The file's there to refer to if I need it, but as I tend to mostly 'run' with what's going on, pushing them a little sometimes in a specific direction, it's more about radar, as Sunnyday calls it, about knowing where your children are and what they are doing. Then it's a watch and see, or a join in and 'how can we do this....' 'Ooh, do you think we could ...' or whatever. Sometimes the next step is achieved at home anyway and Mum's do a mini obs for me!

I don't write it all out again - no paperwork for paperwork's sake!

so you focus on them all - all the time dont split them?

Can I also ask then do you plan activities for these children and if so is that all the only activities you plan each week ie

We have an activity am and pm to cover the childrens learning (if needed- as you said some things will be done without the need for an activity)

we also have a focus activity going on alongside these with a loose theme (come from children) ie making a wormery

We do the focus as We are finding the children play with the same thing and nothing new and new skills arent introduced-

thanks for your time cait

I'm fortunate to have them all together in one room, just my group, so it's easy to see what's going on where. We sometimes have an activity that I'll think of - like last week there was a huge interest in a spider in a box and I said "Hey! why don't we make one with clay and pipe-cleaners?" They all wanted to do this and thoroughly enjoyed rolling the clay and making a body shape, counting out 4 black pipe-cleaners and pushing them through to make 8 legs.

This covered some hand-strengthening I wanted a couple of the boys to do, colour differentiation another needed, following 2 part instructions for another, counting to 8 for a couple. Hand-eye co-ordination for 3 of them. When we paint them it will be using one-handed tools and mark-making for one of the girls, GETTING MESSY for a 'princess' (which she managed with the clay - I want to see if she'll now get paint on her hands). Forming the spider's legs and then counting 8 eyes.

So lots to see and remember, but a note here and a photo there helps the old grey matter along nicely.

More often they engage my assistant and I in some SST or book corner or whatever they are doing, and it's easy to see where they are, what they are enjoying at the moment and think of 'where we're going' and say 'Hey, shall we...?' or just let them take a lead - which generally leads us to something else entirely!

For the last couple of weeks we've had the tent up - it's big enough for about 10 of them, it's been great because whilst they've been chatting in there with their torches, I've got loads of CLL LT/LC covered, because they don't know we can hear them! Fantastic.

I to am having trouble with rearranging my planning.

we are a small team and each have 20 key worker children.

We recently had development worker in who said we were doing far to much and said to loose the targets we set each term and usethe individual interest sheets and then loose the medium term plan and plan for the childrens interests instead of having a theme .

our old way sort of flowed from med term to weekly wherby the individual child had thier DM targets included in the weekly plan and we would sponteneously include what they were interested in.

I am really struggling with how to plan for each child from thier interests and include the 80/20 ratio for adult led and putting it all on paper as when ofsted visited 3 years ago they like the target idea and I could exlain how it flowed.

Am so confused any advice would be appreciated.

I have no problem in identifying what each child needs, but I struggle with providing the provision, not in terms of the activity ideas of supporting this but actually facilitating it. Each child has there own needs but how do I decide who to focus on each week or day?

Can anyone help?

Yes we're exactly the same, trying to observe children all the time or find a fair and managable system of focusing on children on a rota basis. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)