Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Community Playthings Blocks

We have just received a very nice surprise grant from county and I would love love love to get some community playthings blocks. Having a look at the site and I am wondering which ones to get. The pre-school set of hollow blocks were my intital thought, but then I looked at the unit blocks and wondered about them too! Any recommendations? thanks

Edited by laura

Hi

We have got the blocks in the trolley with wheels on. It really good, children have all played with them and its nice to put them all away afterwards.

You won't be disappointed there are expensive but a good investment.

Pauline

We had a delivery this afternoon of the pre-school set and I am so looking forward to seeing what the children think/do when they unpack them tomorrow!

Oh! I need a green smiley I am soooooo envious.

Hope the children have great fun, do come back and tells us what they thought of them :o

We have nowhere that we could possibly store them.

:o

But enjoy your purchase, I looked at them and dreamed when we got a grant for some wooden toys.

My deputy was excited too this morning when she saw the boxes, as were the children. We unpacked them all together and loaded the blocks into the trolley. Then the boys just wanted to play with the boxes they came in! The biggest became a pirate ship and the smaller ones were tunnels. The blocks were totally ignored! And these were 4 year olds, not toddlers. However, this wasn't totally unexpected. Big box play is always a favourite with our children. Sally Thomas would have been so pleased, I think. This will ring a bell with those of you who have been inspired by her big box training course. As soon as the boxes have to be recycled I'm sure they will all enjoy building with the bricks. I will let you know!

My deputy was excited too this morning when she saw the boxes, as were the children. We unpacked them all together and loaded the blocks into the trolley. Then the boys just wanted to play with the boxes they came in! The biggest became a pirate ship and the smaller ones were tunnels. The blocks were totally ignored! And these were 4 year olds, not toddlers. However, this wasn't totally unexpected. Big box play is always a favourite with our children. Sally Thomas would have been so pleased, I think. This will ring a bell with those of you who have been inspired by her big box training course. As soon as the boxes have to be recycled I'm sure they will all enjoy building with the bricks. I will let you know!

I just loved big boxes.. always remember a full afternoon session when we had 4 children and a big box.. they spent the whole session in it.. 2.5 hours in a box and had such a great time in it.. they used it in so many ways and at the end had totally destroyed it but so much learning and fun from a box.

I used to go to the local removal firm and ask for any old boxes so we could have a room full of them.. such fun!

i am sure they will enjoy the blocks once the boxes have been worn out..

We got both! luckily used GLF to get :D hard to suggest which are better...would say that the hollow blocks don't go as far as the unit blocks so more frustrations on children's part although the hollow blocks allow the children to construct on a larger scale...why don't you ask the children which they would prefer if undecided?

I agree with Narnia and get unit first then save for hollow to add slowly to collection. Have you got any settings locally with blocks to see them in action?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)