Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

On Call Doctors

Gezabel

Maybe I have a strange sense of humour but my telephone conversation with the on call doctors service this morning made me laugh xD

I 'know' that I have an ear infection, the old familiar signs started on Friday and have got worse since. I was hoping to make a routine appointment with my GP tomorrow but alas overnight my ear has become rather painful and is now rapidly heading towards looking like a cauliflower such is the swelling.

I phoned the on call service and got asked the routine name, phone, address, date of birth. I was then asked if the call related to myself or someone else - 'myself' I said. I was then asked if I was at the address I had just given and whether I was alone or had someone with me. I confirmed that I was at home and that there was someone else in the house - so far so good but the next question really made me laugh and I so wanted to say 'no I am not!' and the question.........

"Are you concious and breathing?" :(:(:( :wacko: :o

Were you tempted to say 'no'? xD

When youngest sons exzema was bad I phoned the surgery for some 0.5% hydrocortisone cream. When I went to collect the prescription the receptionist said 'They dont do 0.5% so we've given you half percent instead'. I just said 'thanks' and left the surgery. :o

I wonder how they would respond if an unconscious, 0.5% pregnant man called the out of hours service??? !!! xD:o

Hope your pain goes soon Geraldine.

Peggy

I might be heading towards having a sense of humour failure!!

Shortly after posting my original message I received the 'call back' from a duty GP to say I needed to be seen and he would arrange an appointment for 12:20 at a local on call centre. This 'centre' happens to be my nearest hospital 10 miles away - no problem, I arrive at 12:15 for my appointment. "Oh you are the next one in said the receptionist" so I wait and wait and wait. At 12:30 ish the previous patient emerges from the consulting room and I wait and wait and ..wait and finally at 13:25 I am called in. Doctor decides I need oral antibiotics and antibiotic ear drops and gives me a prescription. Off I toddle to Sainsbury's but they didn't have the ear drops in stock, nor did Asda, nor did Tesco and nor did Boots :( I came home and 'googled' to find chemists open in the next nearest town and found two but neither had the ear drops in stock. The second one told me i was on a wild goose chase, the drops were no longer available from the suppliers and hadn't been for several months:(

I phoned the hospital and asked to be put through to the reception desk of the on call GP service but oh no that's not allowed I have to go back to square one. I explained the situation to no avail.

Sooo I ring my GP surgery for the recorded message that puts me through to the on call service and off I go again name, date of birth blah blah blah!!

I asked if I could just return to the 'centre' at the hospital and ask the GP to change the prescription but oh no that would be far to simple. I would have to wait for a call back from a doctor. so I waited

and the call arrived at 3:30. He said I would have to go back and be seen again but the only appointment was at 3:40 xD I explained that I was happy to go straight out the door but I could not drive to the hospital in ten minutes he then said he couldn't help and I would have to see my GP tomorrow .. then I got cross :o about doctors prescribed medication that has not been available to pharmacists for months but he wouldn't budge. I changed tack and said I wouldl rush and be there at 3:40! I arrived at 3:50 apologetic for being 'late' and was told 'no problem' we are running late and there are two people before you :(

Eventually got seen by a different doctor who gave me the oral antibiotics and changed the prescription for the drops - he told me to make sure i got the drops quickly - err yes would do if there was anywhere open ! Managed to find one pharmacist miles away open until 6pm but couldn't have got there anywhere near before closing so here I am with no drops and just fed up I have had a bit of a wasted day :(

I have saved £7:20 though as apparently the centre does not take money and I won't be sent a bill!!

Oh Geraldine, :o

Its' called cognitive diversion tactic, all that running around and stress enables you to not feel the searing pain in your ear obliterated by the fury of incompetence offered by the medical profession.

I hope your sleep isn't disturbed, you could always get inebriated tonight to dull the pain, help you sleep, especially as no alcohol allowed once taking your prescription..................or maybe not.

Take care.

Peggy

oh, poor you!! just what you don't need when you're feeling poorly. As a regular visitor to out-of-hours recently (back on antibiotics today for my 4th chest infection since the beginning of December :o ) I wonder why they don't have a pharmacy on the same site?! We've driven miles to find one open on more than one occasion.

hope you have a restful evening, a good nights sleep and your prescription tomorrow.

Get well soon.

Nona

Oh Geraldine, what a mess! Hopefully the antibiotics will have an effect and your ear wont be reliant on the drops. I'd put a letter of complaint together if I were you. Hubby was ;eft overnight by his dentist with an abcess, she should have drained it and give him antibiotics. He ended up at A&E and she ended up sacked.

Its not good enough that you should have to go without your meds because of incompetence,

Hope you feel better soon.

I too would put in a complaint.. we have had an issue with our out of hours service where the Dr did not prescribe the correct meds..we have a really good pharmacist who noticed, he rang her at the centre and managed to get it changed for us by fax! No return visit... he was so good we sent a letter of thanks to him and the pharmacy. We did complain about her and we have not seen her there again.

Hope the antibiotics kick in soon.. they should help without the ear drops...

i had same 2 weeks ago but managed to wait until the Monday and saw GP that morning.. so do know what you are going through... I would not have managed all that running around the state I was in!

get better soon..

Edited by Inge

That's awful. Yes, why don't they have a pharmacy on site? Kind of daft when you think about it as a high percentage of people attending will need something! Then if it's not 'in stick' they could ring through and get a change for you straight away.

I wish I could magic it away for you :o

Thank you for your lovely messages :o a tonic in itself.

They do have a pharmacy on site, a huge great new one all singing and all dancing, you name it and they have it but guess what

it is CLOSED AT WEEKENDS and only accessible for staff to get medication for in-patients,

I just get so frustrated with incompetance and more so when I am in pain - if I was lying in a bed on the floor above where i was seen they would have gone to the pharmacy and got the drops but because I am not an in patient it's tough luck.

To be honest I have known worse pain but my ear does have a little throbbing heartbeat all of it's own :(

It has to go, it has to clear up! I have waited and waited for routine surgery (you don't one to know! women's stuff and all that!) and am due to be admitted a week tomorrow - I know they won't operate if i am not 100% well and I want it all done and dusted so all vanishing ear infection vibes are very welcome xD

Huge hugs, I know what ears can be like! They can be pesky little devils at the best of times xD but ear drops and oral antibotics should work quick. Says the ear infection expert. :(

Sending good ear vibes. :o and hope your op goes well.

Thank you for your vibes and wishes xD

Got the prescription first thing today and am not beginning to feel a little better. Mind you my ear problem is nothing in comparison to you Beth :o but I am a bit of wimp with earache :(

Glad to read of your letest update and hope all continues to go well for you :(