Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Kindle E-book

kristina

Hi

Just wanted to ask does any one have/use a Kindle ebook and if so is it any good?!! Have to say i am an avid reader and we are running out of room with all my books, and (according to hubby!!) I get humpy when I have nothing to read!! Lol.

Kris

Haven't got a kindle but was quite interested in them (also being an avid reader with far too many books in the house according to MY husband!!!!)

However I did buy an Apple ipad instead and have the book reader thing on there.

Its quite a novelty I suppose........

But I really do like to read in the bath and not sure that would be such a good idea with expensive equipment!!

I can see the beenfits when travelling because if I have gone on a relaxing/ sunning yourself hol I have taken half the luggage allowance in books!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry not terribly helpful!!!!!!!!!

Aha Kristina you beat me to it. Ive been thinking about getting a kindle for some time and wa also going to ask if ayone had one, just never quite got around to it.

Certainly from what I have read, it has very good reviews and many avid fans. There are a few things I think I wold find helpful. The thing persuading me at the moment is that they are holding their price nearly new on a certain web auction site, so if I really didnt like it I could sell it on and not lose out too much.

Hi Kristina -

I've been tempted as have you and mundia, but resisted so far. I've looked at the three main alternatives and here's what I think so far:

1 - sony e-reader. Probably the least favourite of mine. The screen doesn't seem to be as good as the Kindle and is also smaller than the other two (they may come in different sizes, but I've only seen the one).

2 - ipad. Lovely and flexible, with a great interface. Expensive (in comparison with the kindle) and I don't think the screen would be as clear in natural light as the kindle so if you only want to sit on a sunlounger reading books, then as an e-reader it's probably not ideal).

3 - kindle. Not as flexible as the ipad, but as an e-reader it looks almost perfect. It reads really well in real light and the interface between it and Amazon is fantastic.

Other things you may want to consider are:

How easy non-copyright texts can be downloaded and used. There are huge numbers available now, major classics and newer books. I don't know how the three products above handle this as I don't have one but it may be worth asking the question.

Whether (and how) you might be able to re-download if your e-reader gets stolen/breaks. If you've got 500 books on it, that's a sizeable library to re-build...

I have the larger version of the Sony e-reader that allows you to annotate texts. I really like the fact that it isn't backlit so its just like reading a book except that it does't take up so much room and you can choose from whatever is on the reader - ideal for people like me with a low boredom threshhold. Oh, and the ability to make the text bigger is great for when I've forgotten my reading specs!

I have the kindle softare on my laptop too, so that I can take advantage of any cheap kindle books on Amazon!

With regard to the non-copyright books they are freely available (for a very modest fee) for the Sony but I'm not sure about the others!

I have the Sony e-reader, love it. As Maz says the text size can be changed to suit and I find the screen fine indoors and out.

I also get e-books from my local library for free.

Peggy

Thanks for the tip about the zip-lock bag in the bath......great idea! :o

I got a kindle for Christmas from my hubby who is also fed up with tripping up over the quantity of books that surround our bed.

I have downloaded about 16 books onto it.........all for free I might add. I love the kindle. It's so easy to read, it's light to hold and to use. I love how I can decide on a new book, buy it and within minutes in's there in my hands. I'm not sure about the non-copyright books though. Must look that up.

I charged it on Christmas day and even while I read it every day the charge still holds.

There are lots of websites where you can get free books for e-readers, one of them being 'project guttenberg' and Amazon themselves have a huge range of classics for free.

Next question is there are two Kindle e books one of which is 3G (more expensive), I would want to take mine on holiday (hubby also fed up with books in luggage.hand luggage!!). Anyone know what the difference is (hoping Steve may come along and answer this one!!) and if I pre load my books before going on holiday would I need the 3G one?

Kris

Cost is a big factor for me, I must say the Kindle is a lot cheaper than the others, but accessibility is important for me too, so I keep promising myself to spend more time reading reviews about this aspect.

I wont get getting the 3G version I don't think as I'm never likely to be that far from my computer, and Im not sure I want to pay an extra £40 for the privilege. But if you are likely to want to access stuff on holiday (eg daily newspaper) then you might prefer the 3G version..wait the experts on that one.

Kristina, the 3G version just gives you the option to download books and other material when you're out and about - it's effectively a mobile broadband dongle. If you don't think you'll need an emergency book suddenly and your holiday will be ruined if you don't get it then you don't really need that feature.

I got a kindle for my birthday I love it, when buying the books from amazon they are stored on the site in you. You can have them on diffent hardware I have kindle on the lap top and on my I pod you are able to sync them to where you last read in the book on each device.

You are also able to download music on to it and read pdf files as well( not that I have tried that yet) there are developing other things to do on the kindle but I am not to sure what is in the pipeline.

Does anyone have the lighted cover - it looks very expensive but I do like reading in bed and my husband doesn't!

Sandie

I had a look at the lighted cover on you tube using the link Steve provided (thanks Steve). It looks good but it seems very expensive and doesn't cover the whole page.

I bought an led clip-on light which is quite powerful and shows the whole page clearly. It doesn't disturb hubby when reading in bed and it only cost a fiver (works on 3 AAA batteries but doesn't make the whole thing feel heavy). :o

• 3 months later...

Hi

Just thought I would let you all know that it was our 15th wedding anniversary on Thursday and guess what hubby got me!! A kindle bless him! xD

He assures me it's so he doesn't get a hernia at the airport this year :o

Kris

funnily enough my hubby bought me one last week... no reason just thought I could use one...

so now am looking for a clip on light at reasonable cost as the ones I have seen don't have a clip.. any good ones out there ?

and little did know how many free books were out there... and that we would get an email every time I downloaded one... he thought his 'Tab' had a fault when he fired it up the other evening and it went berserk notifying him of new emails (24 apparently)

If anyone has read a good free or 99p book would love some recommendations..so many to choose from.. I read all genre..

I stopped reading Glen Cooper. I had read his second book and then the first... I ended up not liking it that much.

A colleague lent me a wonderful book: "The Five People You Meet in Heaven", by Mitch Albom. BOY!!! What a book! No wonder it is one of the best international sellers. It has been translated to many languages. I liked it so much that I downloaded the free Kindle for Mac software and bought it. Other of his books are "Tuesdays with Morrie" (a must), "Have a Little Faith" and "For One More Day". I recommended them all.

Mitch Albom's Homepage

His books for the Kindle

There are lots of videos via YouTube. ENJOY!!!

Edited by SmileyPR

I downloaded the kindle for my ipod - It's so handy esp after having done the gym then sitting my the pool relaxing before my swim! Also very handy for other moments like waiting at the doctors (got through 6 'pages' of the tickell review), waiting for friends and whilst having a coffee. If I hadn't had to buy a new laptop, would have gone for an ipad so that I could do more things on it too. Have just bought the newest Chris Evans bio (easy and funny read), but did get some of the classics for free too -Winnie the Pooh, Pride & Prejudice.

I love my Kindle, got it for Mother's Day. Great idea about the ziplock bag. Only trouble is I'm sure I am spending more on 'books' than I used to, I have to ration my downloads!

Rachel

• 1 month later...

I am soooo excited :o

Phoned tother half on the way home from work tonight to check if I needed to pick anything up but he said no he had got milk and other bits and then added 'oh and I bought you a book ' when I asked why he said 'because it looked interesting and i thought you would like it;

I have to say here that I have had a pretty rotten time at work recently and have moaned almost nightly about the days events!

When I got home he said 'I kind of lied to you early I haven't really bought you a book in the true sense of the word :unsure: ' and then handed me a bag.

Inside was box containing a KINDLE xD I was stunned and asked him why on earth.. what had I done to deserve such a pressie.... and his reply was to smile, shrug his shoulders and say

'because you've had a rough couple of weeks'

I am like the proverbial child in a sweet shop. Downloaded 2 books and finding my way around the kindle nicely xD:(

Just been on ebay and found brand new leather case (pink :rolleyes: ) for £4:95 with free postage... life is good :(:( :wacko:

I also bought one recently Gezabel - largely because my sister just published an e-book novel on Amazon. I have to say, having been quite suspicious about them before, thinking nothing could replace the feeling of a real book, I am really enjoying it. The quality of the screen is much better than I had anticipated, and the weight and size are all really well judged aren't they?

(And the fact that you can fill it up immediately with all the out of copyright classics for nothing helps as well.)

The other thing I succumbed to was one of the covers with a little light built in (which are 20 % off at the moment as a father's day promotion). It's really quite fantastic to be able to read in almost total darkness, without even the rustling of a turning page to disturb your other half! :o