Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Married Couples...

Hi

I just wanted to check whether you can have a mum and dad from the same family on the committee, our chairs hubby has volunteered to be our treasurer... just wanted to check whether this is allowed????

does anyone know???

Thanks

Do you think they might have an 'agenda'?

If you are using PSLA constitution it may be worth ringing them for advice

Edited by Cait

i'm not sure i have never had a mother and father volunteer for the committee, this is a new one on me......

the chairs name is on our bank account, and with hubby wanting to be treasurer, i wasnt sure whether this was allowed.......... maybe i'm just being over cautious!!!!!!

we are using the psla constitution....

Edited by Guest

If you are part of PSLA i would ring for advice on this. If not to protect your pre-school but also the people concerned. We have three signatories so i suppose you could have one other plus mum or dad to sign each cheque but not both i would say. What a sad world we live in that we have to question everything we do.

Good luck

I see no reason why they can't both be on the committee but what they can't do is both sign any one cheque. They can both be signatories but you would need a 3rd person to sign with either one of them.

No, it's not allowed. One of them can be a non-voting committee member (e.g co-opted) but can't have 2 of the officers being married. That would be very open to abuse.

Hum interesting - we have had a couple on the committee before ( holding different positions)- we were deperate at the time - constitution didn't seem to differentiate between members of the family - what would happen if both parents were involved with the child but were separated? :o

We recently had mom as chair and dad as treasurer. No-one said it couldnt happen until they had to decalre themselves bankrupt then they had to leave the committee completly. Only one of them could sign cheques though.

Definately not allowed under PSLA constitution. Only one member from each family can stand for committee. Only one vote per family at AGM or EGM.

not sure that they can do this in this day and age where divorce rates are so high and parents may have very different views and live apart - this came upin a school setting a while ago and voting was changed to every parent ( yes - i know this may also not be fair!!)

think with PLA constitution it is not allowed, each family has one vote and able to hold one place on committee... we had a couple share one place , so one or other would attend meetings .

depends on your constitution.

If you do decide this is OK.. I would not have both as signatories.. have one of them and two others... If you allow both and you say only one of them can sign at a time there is nothing to stop them both signing a cheque... no way you can prevent it.. and would be so tempting to save time chasing the third person.. You need to ensure that they have no access to the money without having another person supervise them.

inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)