Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A Cautionary Tale

While at home on Monday, tragically a 22 month old, who attended our childminder drop in, died after choking on a whole grape.

Oliver's Mum has asked that we PLEASE remember, and remind others, to cut all fruit before we give it to children.

Perhaps we can prevent another family's heartbreak.

Nona x

Oh thats awful Nona. I've never being able to decide whether its best to have small pieces or something they can hold and nibble, but I'll certainly pass on the advice to playgroup.

What a terrible time for the family and all who were there. :o

how awful - we always cut grapes in half for the children :o

That's good.

We've been advised to cut grapes in half lengthwise or, preferably, into quarters.

Nona

Hi Nona,

Just wanted to send my sympathy and prayers to both the family and to your childminding group. What awful news for you all, thank you for alerting everyone to this at what must be such a difficult time for the family involved. I will make sure I pass the message on to other people.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers

Nicky Sussex

What an awful situation. I didn't know this so I'm glad you have mentioned it although the circumstances are awful :o

Is this for a certain age group and what would be the best for 5 year olds?

I'm presuming this is for small children and that a 5 year old wouldn't have trouble with a grape. Is this correct? I would hate to get this wrong when it can have such awful consequences.

What a terrible tragedy, but how brave for them to be thinking of the safety of others. We cut ours up but have never thought to alert parents. Will share tomorrow.

Thank you all. I'll be sharing your responses with Oliver's childminder and I'm sure she'll likewise share with his Mum. The more people alerted the better.

Having Googled this today I am stunned by the results - even today a story appears of a 4 year old in Texas dying after choking on a whole grape.

Read more about choking hazards here http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/chokingreport

I don't think I'll ever serve a whole grape again.

Nona

Edited by Guest

Hello Nona

So sorry to hear this tragic story my thoughts are with you, childminding group and of course the poor family .

For many years I worked in a childrens hospital and we had a few deaths of very young children (due to choking from peanut and another child choked on lollipop stick)

My thoughts also go out to everyone affected from this terrible tragedy. I just thought I would add that I have just updated my First Aid Qualifications and cutting grapes in half length ways was emphasised strongly. Apparently because of the size and shape of a grape they are one of the worst things to unlodge from a child's wind-pipe.

I was only wondering this morning as I cut up grapes for my daughter's lunch box that maybe I could stop doing it now she's 7. Perhaps I'll carry on for a bit longer after all.

What a terrible tragedy for that poor family.

I feel for you and the rest of your drop in group too, Nona, but I'm sure you'll be making sure you are doing everything you can to support the childminder concerned.

Firstly my deepest sympathy and thoughts go to Oliver's family I cannot imagine their utter devastation at such a tragic loss.

Thankyou for the timely reminder and I am sooo very sorry that it results from such a tragedy. I think it might be worth adding to not just focus on grapes.Cherry/baby tomatoes (to name just one other) are increasingly appearing in lunchboxs and they too get the chop.

On the issue of grapes we have been cutting grapes in half lengthwise for ages. It was discussed in detail at first aid training and the choking hazard is drastically reduced as there is a straight/smooth edge as opposed to a 'sphere' shape

We have heard of similar tradgies and apply our 'cutting' ethos rigidly and the mantra is 'if in doubt cut it'. I don't know that cutting/not cutting is age related as it is perfectly possible for an adult to choke on a grape. Some of you may know that we lost an adult member of our preschool community last year as a result of choking - received immediate first aid and paramedics on site within minutes but alas all attempts failed. (not from a grape but nonetheless choking is a hazard for everyone.)

Oh that is so very tragic, I am so sorry to hear that, I can't imagine how they must be feeling at the moment.

I did baby led weaning with my little one and so she had finger foods from the off, she gags on things but mainly only apple and sometimes bread, grapes are always cut in two they seem to melt easier I think.

Though, like Geraldine has said though I don't think cutting the friut is age related, anyone of any age could choke on a grape or in fact anything. Still, it is truley tragic whatever the circumstances.

What a terrible tragedy! Those poor parents.

Thank you also for the reminder under such sad circumstances. I have reminded my daughter-in-law, who is usually very good, but it always does to remember why we have to be vigilant.

Such a sad story but it is more common than people think - I had a child choke on half a grape ( it was a large black one with firm skin provided by the parent I hasten to add !) about two years ago at my setting - I had to administer first aid and CPR until we got the ambulance and it took the hospital 20 minutes to get it out with the suction etc ! He was sat down - next to the keyworker , popped the piece of grape in - coughed and down it went, as quick as that. All the usual stuff , backslaps, chest thrust etc didn't shift it and he was showing signs of breathing problems so we reorted to plan B. The hospital said if I hadn't given rescue breaths etc and called the ambulance as quickly the outcome could have been far worse, so don't ever think by dialling 999 you will be wasting peoples time or being overdramatic , they really don't mind at all ! :o